• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008
    NP : THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry

Gorgeous themes! Hard to believe there was a time that I didn't like this album!? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Diwali is a very traditional Indian festival. Ravi should expand on it though, because that's all I know smile

Sure - it is celebrated because on this day our Lord Ram returned to his kingdom after 14 years of exile and after destroying his arch enemy Ravana. On this occassion the people of his kingdom decorated their houses with candles and lamps to welcome their king. So we too decorate our houses with lights and worship the Lord. Dunno how the fireworks tradition started though tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Happy Feet | John Powell

The snowy weather has got me in the mood for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGE FENTON - planet earth

Film scoring at its most brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atham wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PAPILLON - Jerry Goldsmith
    A favourite. cool

Evocative film, too. Have you got the expanded French release of the score? Although I don't regret it at all, it's not entirely worth it unless you're an obsessive completist. It only has marginally any new material at all.

NP: El Cid.
    Still not quite done yet. o_o

I know there isn't much more on the French Papillon release but I think it is worth it just to have "Catching Butterflies" and "Arrest". I love the gentle yet flighty form of the former track!

The more Papillon the better I say! I also love the song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

Ferocious action stuff!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Atham wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PAPILLON - Jerry Goldsmith
    A favourite. cool

Evocative film, too. Have you got the expanded French release of the score? Although I don't regret it at all, it's not entirely worth it unless you're an obsessive completist. It only has marginally any new material at all.

NP: El Cid.
    Still not quite done yet. o_o

I know there isn't much more on the French Papillon release but I think it is worth it just to have "Catching Butterflies" and "Arrest". I love the gentle yet flighty form of the former track!

The more Papillon the better I say! I also love the song.

Film scoring at it's MOST brilliant!

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Walt Disney World: Reflections Of Earth - Gavin Greenaway

Great music! punk

Give him a movie to score. Hans? John? tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote

Great music! punk

EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC!

And what a magnificent show it is as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

Perhaps because I enjoyed the movie so much, I enjoy this a lot! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing: Happy Feet Songs

You know I think Happy feet (score and movie) is a masterpiece.

The songs, are higly addictive. "the kiss" (with the rendition of Powell in the end), My way (Great Robin Williams) ,"Somebody to love" and "boogie Wonderland" (this first minute being a very moving chanting and the in the final seconds this typical crazy Powell percusion) make me dance baby!

NP:Scorpion King (debney)

my favourite of the trio: beowulf-Kull-Scorpion King

Lisbeth scoth, electric guitars and conan-like..YES PLEASE!!!!

(Even if it's not so interesting in the middle)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Great music! punk

EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC!

-Erik-

The music make me really want to see the show. I hope I will in the future!

NP: Walt Disney World: Tapestry Of Nations - Gavin Greenaway

Wehh lah welawela weeeelah. Addictive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Princess Monooke (live) - Joe Hisaishi (thanks for the link Tintin! smile )
    http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eR-B2JD9M&fmt=18

Chorus! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I've always considered Spartacus as my favourite score from the 60s, but now with the new El Cid release, this takes the gold. Not by much, mind you, but still, it's GOTTA be El Cid.

NP: They Live, John Carpenter, Alan Howarth
    Bluegrass-y stuff that's only marginally better than Vampires. Should I regret ordering the new Prince of Darkness?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Great music! punk

EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC!

-Erik-

We want to incorporate some of this into our wedding. I guess we might use the song at the end ("Promise")
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I previously played TOMANDANDY - the strangers

Quite chilling and standard minimalistic electronic / ambient approach by the duo in the same vein as the large majority of their work. No surprises here.

N.p. ANGELO BADALAMENTI - the wicker man

I consider this to be a very intelligent and different thriller score; the orchestral nature is refined and surprising, the melody carries and holds together the entire score with strong themes (see "rose and the daydream" for instance) instead of the usual recipe of plain cold atmospheric music. If you're a fan of Chris Young's more melodic thriller side or in fact Angelo Badalamenti, you'll love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Great music! punk

EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC!

-Erik-

We want to incorporate some of this into our wedding. I guess we might use the song at the end ("Promise")

Brilliant stuff. Showcases all that is spectacular and beautiful in the early ages of Media Ventures and carries all their best elements. Kinda what Jeff Rona tried to do with this year's olympics although it came out way more generic.
  1. Previously played: The Legend of Zorro - James Horner

NP: Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Two spanish-influenced scores, but completely different sounding.

I like Zorro's 2nd adventure, maybe not as exciting as the first, but still good fun, one of Horner's better of recent years. If only there would be a Zorro 3, if only for the music, I'd be as giddy as a school boy
    4 STARS

But I completely love Goldsmith's Under Fire which is just a genious work, full of melody, rhythm and passion, and fantastic guitar performances. One of my personale favorite from the composer.
    5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listened to a few scores this morning.

Started with Basil Poledouris' charming and heartwarming score to Free Willy. With all the Passion of the Christ talk in the Recent Viewing thread I thought I'd throw that one on. Interestingly enough I prefer the symphony over the original score.

NP: Monsignor - John Williams

Another truly brilliant effort from the Maestro. The Intrada album gives you almost the complete score. It's the LP presentation which is missing a few minutes. The sound quality is unbeatable... probably one of Eric Tomlinson's finest recordings. "The Meeting In Sicily" the genesis of Williams' work on his Esplanade Overture. What a wonderful, playful piece! "Gloria" is a massive 5 minute choral work that has to be plays LOUD to truly appreciate it's size. And the Monsignor theme is a haunting melody that carries the score.

Folks, this one is STILL available. With the amount of average limited editions going out of print in a matter of minutes I'm SHOCKED that Monsignor is still available.
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5552/.f

I'm now sampling a gigantic track (Victory) from Legend: The Story Of The First King's Four Gods by Joe Hisaishi. Ooooooooh baby! I need to play this one from the beginning!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANTONIO PINTO - lord of war

An exceptionally colored, eastern-flavored musical trip. Equipped with various middle-eastern and mainly Eastern-european solo instruments, Antonio, - through the imaginable arrangements and strong thematic material, turns this into an emotionally intense and at places even melancholic musical experience for every lover of serious film music. Simultaneously, he manages to keep it edgy and up to date as he combines the organic sound of acoustic instruments with well-built electronics. Deeply recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't recommend that snooze fest if my life depended on it! tongue biggrin
  2. It's a really good score!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In the films it's good. In the film. Where it should stay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    pf
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    pf

Only a squeaker, Demetris?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    So far today:

The Three Musketeers (Kamen)
    Frequency Score
    Tombstone
    Troy Rejected

Bound to hear more today
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listened to a few scores this morning.

Started with Basil Poledouris' charming and heartwarming score to Free Willy. With all the Passion of the Christ talk in the Recent Viewing thread I thought I'd throw that one on. Interestingly enough I prefer the symphony over the original score.

NP: Monsignor - John Williams

Another truly brilliant effort from the Maestro. The Intrada album gives you almost the complete score. It's the LP presentation which is missing a few minutes. The sound quality is unbeatable... probably one of Eric Tomlinson's finest recordings. "The Meeting In Sicily" the genesis of Williams' work on his Esplanade Overture. What a wonderful, playful piece! "Gloria" is a massive 5 minute choral work that has to be plays LOUD to truly appreciate it's size. And the Monsignor theme is a haunting melody that carries the score.

Folks, this one is STILL available. With the amount of average limited editions going out of print in a matter of minutes I'm SHOCKED that Monsignor is still available.

I'm now sampling a gigantic track (Victory) from Legend: The Story Of The First King's Four Gods by Joe Hisaishi. Ooooooooh baby! I need to play this one from the beginning!

-Erik-

MONSIGNOR?

Yeah man!! punk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Great music! punk

EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC!

-Erik-

Anywhere I can hear sound clips?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

With some of the mediocre stuff that sells out very quickly, I can't believe this piece of prime Williams from his most popular period is still available. If you haven't bought it - you might not be familiar with the film, but this is brilliant Williams!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Quantum of Solace (Arnold)

I'm reading some good comments (Anthony, Southall, Broxton...).

I want to put a little comment with I couldn't agree more from Bredan from moviemusicUk forum

"he's throwing around interesting new chord progressions and instrumentation isn't just a departure from his usual Bond stuff, it's a departure from his entire usual way of composing. And it blends with his old-school style very well"

http://mmuk64.proboards42.com/index.cgi … hread=3700

it's ironic how a score wich lacks a little bit of thematic structure it's so interesting and entertaining.