• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    Electric guitars are occasionally heard in scores, sometimes because of the composer, and sometimes because of producers. Which scores do you think had the best use of electric guitars? Which had the worst or least necessary?
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    kull the conqueror is one of my favorites.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    John Barry's UNTIL SEPTEMBER.

Gorgeously done! cool

I suspect most will point out the usual noisy souless generic crap rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Two words: Morricone & spaghetti

Peter spin
  1. Best:
    - HEAT (Goldenthal)
    - CRASH (Shore)

Worst:
    - BLOOD DIAMOND (Newton Howard)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Goldenthal's S.W.A.T. is interesting, if somewhat harsh at times.
  2. Con Air: you either hate or love the addition of the raw guitar sound. I'm the latter kind.

There's also a guitar in Mission to Mars, but it's more of the acoustic sort.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KULL THE CONQUEROR (Joel Goldsmith)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I love the guitars in the track Parlay from PoTC At World's End, with the one doing The Man With The Harmonica-esque howls in the background . It works wonders in the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Perfect Storm (James Horner)

And in the negative side Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (John Williams) vomit
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote

And in the negative side Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (John Williams) vomit

Wooo!!!! punk

Meaning I like it and don't agree with you. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Wooo!!!! punk

I hate it and I'm glad it was not used in the final film.

My favorite use is in Kamen's Lethal Weapon scores. Great device for Rigg's character. And staying with Kamen his Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra (which he wrote for Eric Clapton) is incredible!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Wooo!!!! punk

But the film version had electric guitars too, didn't it? I would love to hear that outside the movie... why is it different on the album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Wooo!!!! punk

But the film version had electric guitars too, didn't it? I would love to hear that outside the movie... why is it different on the album?

Maybe because it would have sounded absolutely terrible on the album? confused tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry's UNTIL SEPTEMBER.

Gorgeously done! cool

I suspect most will point out the usual noisy souless generic crap rolleyes

Also put to good use in A VIEW TO A KILL.

Not really a soundtrack, Dance With Reality from THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS is superb.

Also a beer to Erik for mentioning Kamen's excellent work with Eric Clapton.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote

Not really a soundtrack, Dance With Reality from THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS is superb.

Oh yes, The Beyondness of Things, I have to re-listen to that one, and I've always considered it a soundtrack, because it's Barry, and it sounds like 90% of the other things he's done. Very soothing, melodic, romantic, nostalgic Barry. Should appear soon in the Now Playing thread... wink I will keep my ear out for the guitar, Timmer.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Wooo!!!! punk

Nope. If I can remember correctly they were taken out. The guitar sounds you do hear are the sounds of Zam's Speeder which is one of Ben Burtt's most uninspired sound effects. I'm going to watch the sequence right now just to make sure I'm correct.

EDIT - Ya, the electric guitar has been taken out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Must admit, it's been a LONG time since I watched that scene, though I do remember really enjoying the film version. Is it available anywhere?

Also, Ben Burtt on a bad day is better than most sound designers on a good day! He's the John Williams of sound artists. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Must admit, it's been a LONG time since I watched that scene, though I do remember really enjoying the film version. Is it available anywhere?

Also, Ben Burtt on a bad day is better than most sound designers on a good day! He's the John Williams of sound artists. punk

Was the John Williams of sound effects. I didn't find a lot of his newer sounds for the prequels all that interesting or creative.

As for the FILM VERSION of Chase Through Courescant its just more bad editing of the already existing cue on the album. Nothing NEW was recorded. The only changes were the AWFUL edits and the exclusion of the electric guitar which was most likely recorded in isolation after the recording sessions.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Was the John Williams of sound effects. I didn't find a lot of his newer sounds for the prequels all that interesting or creative.

As for the FILM VERSION of Chase Through Courescant its just more bad editing of the already existing cue on the album. Nothing NEW was recorded. The only changes were the AWFUL edits and the exclusion of the electric guitar which was most likely recorded in isolation after the recording sessions.

-Erik-

...like I said, LONG time ago since I saw it.

Some might argue that both Burtt and Williams were at the top of their game during and in between their Star Wars periods, so I think it's a fitting description. Personally I was very impressed with Burtt's sound design in all of the prequels, especially the pod racing. Most recently I've been impressed with his work on WALL•E.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Some might argue that both Burtt and Williams were at the top of their game during and in between their Star Wars periods, so I think it's a fitting description. Personally I was very impressed with Burtt's sound design in all of the prequels, especially the pod racing. Most recently I've been impressed with his work on WALL•E.

Glad you brought up the Podracing sequence. While I thought it was a wonderfully MIXED sequence the literal race cars sound, to me, where out of place. Why?

Well, the sounds in the original trilogy all sounded foreign and new. We had NEVER heard sounds like that before and had no idea where they came from. No one could reference a baby elephant for the sounds of a TIE Fighter or hums of the lightsabres or taps on an electrical wire for lazer blasters and so on. But when we came to the prequels you could almost pick out exactly what sound effect Burtt was using. For instance, old WWII bombers for the gigantic Naboo freighter at the beginning of AOTC, a sniper rifle sound for Boba Fett's dart gun when he shoots Zam, etc. While those thing do sound COOL ithe Naboo feighter sounded like WWII bomber and not a spaceship from a galaxy far, far away like the other ships sounded in the original trilogy.

So, when we get to the Podrace all we hear are revved engines from Indy cars and various other automobiles. That's not inspiring, new, creative or other worldly.

There are many more examples but I think you get my point. That's was bothers me about the NEW Ben Burtt... not to mention his distaste and terrible edits of Williams music in the prequel trilogy.

BTW, his work on Wall-E was indeed fabulous and probably will win another Academy Award for it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's a good point. But then I always likened the sound effects in the prequels to sounds that we perceive as being old, like as you say the WWII bomber. For me, it gave the films a sense of age, as though it really was set before episodes 4, 5 and 6. That's why I liked them, and that's why (for me) I thought they worked quite well.

Since Lucas decided to focus on politics rather than mythology for the prequels, I thought Burtt's "closer to home" approach was quite fitting in some ways. If the films were more like the originals, then I'm sure Burtt might have approached it differently?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    franz_conrad wrote

Worst:

Darn, I really like the Blood Diamond music, including the intense action music that has electric guitars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Panthera wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Worst:

Darn, I really like the Blood Diamond music, including the intense action music that has electric guitars.

I think Michael may be referring more to their gratuitous use within the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Panthera wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Worst:

Me too. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    If I'm remembering correctly the electric guitars were used to represent the child warriors and the people controlling them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh yes, The Beyondness of Things, I have to re-listen to that one, and I've always considered it a soundtrack, because it's Barry, and it sounds like 90% of the other things he's done. Very soothing, melodic, romantic, nostalgic Barry. Should appear soon in the Now Playing thread... wink I will keep my ear out for the guitar, Timmer.

cool beer

Dance With Reality is the very last track on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, didn't we already have similar thread? Can't remember its title.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, didn't we already have similar thread? Can't remember its title.

Not that I remember unless it was at ScoreReviews?
  4. Marselus wrote
    The Perfect Storm (James Horner)

I didn't enjoy the electric guitar in this one. I like everything else about the score, but just when the music is getting good that darn electric guitar comes in every time and ruins it. I find it really hard to enjoy electric guitar in any film score. It just doesn't sound good with the rest of an orchestra to me.