• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But not if he was John Murphy.

I don't really get that. There's some nice piano chords in MIAMI VICE and SUNSHINE at some key moments in those films, but anyone could have done that stuff. Murphy is not the greatest loss to film music I can imagine. wink

Listen to the 28 days / weeks later scores; yeah he is not the greatest loss in film music but he had created a very interesting blend of electronica, ambient and rock, his music might have not echoed to many people but he definitely had something to say and was not generic in any way. I don't see why we should be cheering for getting more conventional scores in his place instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    Hang on a minute - you think Rahman is MORE conventional than Murphy!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    Well, just because he incorporates Bolly elements that doesn't mean he's the next big thing, does it? He can get quite unique in some instances but not in all of his scores. And in this new movie, i can't see how he won't be conventional in the above scenario. Couples Retreat was enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking either. But let's wait and see, hope i'll be proven wrong. In any case, Murphy wasn't doing anything conventional in any case; not for the masses indeed, but his sound was quite interesting.
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    SCOTT IS RETURNING TO FILM SCORING??

Great!

indeed, great news smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    SCOTT IS RETURNING TO FILM SCORING??

Great!

indeed, great news smile

punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. "Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding"
    "Alphas"
    (TV series)
    Stephen Endelman
    Source: 1st: website of someone who is working on the score.
    2nd: his website.

"Stone" (recorded)
    Jon Brion
    Source: Wookstock Film Festival credits

UPDATE: Shore will indeed end up scoring the film by the exact same name as one he did before: "The Spider"; Shearmur will not.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. "Law & Order: Los Angeles" (yet another spin-off series -- really original title!)
    Atli Orvarsson
    Source: the News page on his site.

Orvarsson studied under, worked with, and occassionally wrote for Mike Post (oddly enough, it wasn't until he got under Zimmer's tutelage that he soon found himself with two rejected scores...), so I guess it was natural that he got the job (I believe Atli -- without checking -- worked on one of the other L&O series with Post).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Nice, i like the man's work. He's promising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, just because he incorporates Bolly elements that doesn't mean he's the next big thing, does it?

No, but it also doesn't mean he's conventional. You can throw Couples Retreat at me and I'll throw Millions back at you. wink
  4. justin boggan wrote
    "Law & Order: Los Angeles" (yet another spin-off series -- really original title!)
    Atli Orvarsson

Orvarsson studied under, worked with, and occassionally wrote for Mike Post (oddly enough, it wasn't until he got under Zimmer's tutelage that he soon found himself with two rejected scores...), so I guess it was natural that he got the job (I believe Atli -- without checking -- worked on one of the other L&O series with Post).

This is a weird thing, the two rejections. I guess Atli is going to be the next Powell of the team. Why? Usually when there is a fear of rejection, Zimmer tends to come in himself to do a rescue job (see The Rock). His contribution (except The Rock, that is) is usually uncredited. He contributed singular pieces to quite a few scores from the studio, in case of Iron Man, he ghostwrote about a third of the score (rearranging mostly)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. "We Are Many" (documentary)
    Rachel Portman
    Source: July update on a producer's Twitter page.

"Dolphin's Tale" (recorded)
    Timothy Williams
    Source: his Twitter announcements. Works with (dun Dun DUNNN!!!) Tyler Bates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "Law & Order: Los Angeles" (yet another spin-off series -- really original title!)
    Atli Orvarsson

This is a weird thing, the two rejections. I guess Atli is going to be the next Powell of the team. Why? Usually when there is a fear of rejection, Zimmer tends to come in himself to do a rescue job (see The Rock). His contribution (except The Rock, that is) is usually uncredited. He contributed singular pieces to quite a few scores from the studio, in case of Iron Man, he ghostwrote about a third of the score (rearranging mostly)

Who was scheduled to compose for this before Atli?
  6. "Winston Churchill: Walking with Destiny" (documentary; recorded)
    Lee Holdridge
    Source: why ... here's a video of him conducting the score with the orchestra:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pq3ZaITj38

I wonder if Intrada will release this one, too...
  7. "The Rite"
    "Inside Job
    (recorded)
    Alex Heffes

"The Six Month Rule,"
    Andrew Hollander

"Red Riding Hood"
    Brian Reitzell

"Covert Affairs" (TV series)
    Christopher Tyng (composer of all but one episode of "Futurama")

"Room in Rome"
    Jocylen Pook

"Soul Of A People: Writing America’s Story"
    Joseph Vitarelli

Source for all above: agency's website.
  8. "Beat the World"
    Andrew Lockington
    Source: his website.

"Yogi Bear"
    John Debney (replacing Andrew Lockington)
    Source: http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010
    Well at least Andrew Lockington came out on top. wink
  9. Anthony wrote
    Well at least Andrew Lockington came out on top. wink

indeed, I want to hear more of Lockington, but here I'm not that mad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. "Hugo Carbret"
    Howard Shore (Jean Michel-Bernard, original scoring for dance sequences [recorded])
    Source: news articles

"A Dangerous Mind"
    Howard Shore
    Source: here is a good quote or two from Shore in an article (roughly trasnlated by Google) about a week ago:

He composed these days the music to "A Dangerous Method", the Sigmund Freud of the film star director David Cronenberg. "My trip to Vienna comes at a very opportune time," the 64-year-old told on Tuesday at a press conference at the gala. "Here I can research well, yesterday I was already in the Sigmund Freud Museum."

"... the shooting of "A Dangerous Method," which the film crew led early summer to Vienna, had become just finished. The soundtrack he wants to finish by the end of November."
  11. "Paul"
    David Arnold
    Source: this quote:
    "... Right now I’m starting the Simon Pegg / Nick Frost alien-road-trip-comedy Paul, which is very funny. I finish that mid-December, then I am powered down and my prime directive re-programmed. ..."

from this wacky interview:
    http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.com/2 … usicy.html
  12. "The Apparition"
    Christopher Young
    Source: none provided, but he is.

My sister -- the California model/actress -- is a body stand-in for some chick named Ashley Greene, on this film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    Source: none provided, but he is.

It's gotta be true then!
  13. The Warner Bros. press release for the Elf-Box (new projects bolded):

His upcoming projects include Paul Haggis' Next Three Days, Real Steel, Gus Van Sant's Restless, Men in Black 3, Tim Burton's stop motion feature,Frankenweenie and Cirque du Soleil's "Iris" scheduled to bow in residence in Summer 2011 at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

Grammar Nazi's best friend Punctuation Bastard, deeply wants to pay a visit...
  14. Paul Haggis? What the hell happened to Isham?
  15. PawelStroinski wrote
    Paul Haggis? What the hell happened to Isham?

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … hree-days/

Alberto Iglesias was indeed on, beore Isham.
  16. "Escape From Planet Earth"
    "Burke and Hare"
    "Hunky Dory"
    "Psychoville"
    (British program -- mini or TV?)
    Eau (his own ballet, and did the music)
    Alice In Wonderland (ballet)
    Joby Talbot
    Sources:
    1st & 2nd: Agency website.
    3rd & rest: website of somebody who is working on/worked on the rest with him.

Quote from another site about the "Hunky Dory" score:
    "... is based around 60’s pop music and is heavily improvised."
  17. "London Boiulevard" (recorded)
    Sergio Pizzorno (replacing Howard Shore's score)
    Source: orchestra who performed it.
  18. "Scream 4"
    "The Thing
    (re-imaging of the older film)
    Marco Beltrami
    Source: his official website.
  19. I thought this was interesting:

Director Hugh Hudson (Chariots Of Fire) is to direct Catalonia, an adaptation of George Orwell’s book Homage To Catalonia by Australian screenwriter Bob Ellis.

Al Clark, co-producer of the last film adaptation of an Orwell book, Nineteen Eighty-Four starring John Hurt and Richard Burton is Hudson’s producing partner.

Catalonia is a true story about Orwell and his wife Eileen, and about the effect their encounter with Georges Kopp – the charismatic commander of the Anarchist brigade that Orwell joins during the Spanish Civil War – has on both of them.

Colin Firth and Kevin Spacey are attached to play Orwell and Kopp. Shooting is planned to begin during the first half of 2010 in England, Spain, and the cities of Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Al Clark, Alain Sarde and Hank Levine are producing. Fernando Meirelles is executive producer and his Brazilian company 02 will be a production partner on the film. The score will be composed by Mark Knopfler.

International sales are being handled by California based Arclight. Their slate includes Anders Anderson’s Stolen Lives starring Josh Lucas, Jon Hamm and Rhona Mitra which is about a detective who deals with the loss of his own son while uncovering the identity of a boy whose mummified remains are found.
  20. Expect a beautiful theme and cool guitar solos.
  21. "High School"
    "Music by: Harold Faltermeyer"
    "Score by: Freescha"
    Source: movie's official website (http://www.deptofmoralhealth.org)

I assume this means Faltermeyer is doing songs. Unless "Freescha" is some kind of name for him and a group of people doing the score.

"The Rig"
    Bruce Fowler