• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "The Whisperers" (series)
    Robert Duncan
    Source: website of somebody who's working on the scores with the composer.

Conrad Pope scored the pilot (unless it's been replaced) and the series was picked up and Duncan is the series composer. The pilot airs in June, so we'll find out what is what then. EDIT: The score was replaced.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Confirmed at the FSM forum:

Dario is OUT and John Powell is in on "Pan".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. punk punk punk

Love ya, Dario, but this is HUGE news for me. And totally out of the blue. It still seems weird to me, really...after all, if Powell is so discouraged by Hollywood, then why would he of all people be the one to step in on a replacement score like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015
    Big piles of cash?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sad to hear that Marianelli is off but Powell lessens that disappointment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm. The phrase 'I'm in two minds' certainly applies here. Marianelli could have brought something quite interesting and, dare I say it, new to the mix. But Powell will surely tap into the joy of the story.

Can't we just have both scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited
    Sounds a bit like, say, the Elfman/Haslinger situation on THE WOLFMAN (or heck, even Goldsmith/TD on LEGEND). First score was oldfashioned, so they wanted to try something more 'modern'. Powell is good at traditional writing, but a bit more modern and Hollywood in tone than Marianelli. Of course, in the case of WOLFMAN, they went back to Elfman and for LEGEND, two versions exist. I'm not sure that will happen with this.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Steven wrote
    Hmm. The phrase 'I'm in two minds' certainly applies here. Marianelli could have brought something quite interesting and, dare I say it, new to the mix. But Powell will surely tap into the joy of the story.

Can't we just have both scores?

Marianelli didn't get to recording sessions. Warner Bros. pulled off another Troy here, but without the recording sessions AND with the director seemingly by Marianelli's side on this one. (Petersen on Troy took a U-turn with his opinion on the score).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    According to the FSM post, Marianelli's was considered "Too European" - hmm.
  5. Yes, if the guy at FSM is to be taken as a source, Drio apparently wanted to do a good big brassy score. Based on the trailer and the replacement composer, I think we know what's gonna happen here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At last it's Powell and not a lower-rent version. We'd know for sure what a Jackman/Junkie/Balfe one would sound like. But Powell is more than capable of writing music that satisfies moron producers while also being genuinely brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    But Powell is more than capable of writing music that satisfies moron producers while also being genuinely brilliant.

biggrin
    Kazoo
  6. I'd not put that on my resume, but...
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Yes, if the guy at FSM is to be taken as a source, Drio apparently wanted to do a good big brassy score. Based on the trailer and the replacement composer, I think we know what's gonna happen here.

What's that supposed to mean?
  8. Justin may not be an expert in Powell's career... Especially knowing where Powell "came from". I don't know what he thinks of Powell, but who knows... maybe he's not really objective, knowing what he thinks of Hans.
  9. Powell = ex-MV = kill or what? rolleyes
  10. Something like that...
  11. [irony]Yeah, since How to Train Your Dragon has MV all over it.[/irony]

confused Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. I like how he implies that Powell can't do a good brassy score of all things...
  13. lol yeah, I was thinking that too. biggrin
  14. "Altamira" (recorded)
    Mark Knopfler & Evelyn Glennie (also known as "Dame Evelyn")
    Source: websites of people who worked on the score, recorded ever February and March. Glennie herself, apparently a percussionist, is also a film composer (although stil la newbie).

But hey -- new Knopfler score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015
    She is a superb percussionist, she is also stone deaf.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. "Ali and Nino"
    Dario Marianelli
    Source: representation agency bio' on the composer.

"Gunz: The Story of Billy the Kidd"
    Don Peake
    Source: non provided, but he is. This is his first full-length project in many years.
  16. Unconfirmed:

"Chocolat" (2016)
    Gabriel Yared

Listed on his IMDb page. Somebody named Jean-Pierre Arquié is listed as the score producer (he's apparently worked with Yared before).

"The Rams"
    Atli Örvarsson
    Source: none provided, but he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    "The Rams"
    Atli Örvarsson
    Source: none provided, but he is.

He's actually finished that one (which premieres in Cannes this week), as well as another Icelandic film this year -- THE HOMECOMING.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. The Read-and-Memories? wink
  18. Random Access Memories wink
  19. I could never memorize that. Read and memory feels logical as opposed to read only memory. Of course it isn't. smile
  20. According to the runner of the old magazine Soundtrack!, the new composer for "The Good Dinosaur" (taking over for Thomas Newman after the film's original director left/was booted and changes to the film were made):

It's Mychael Danna. John Lasseter has said so while showing footage in Cannes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
    Dang. Danna is a fantastic choice also but I have to admit that I was looking forward to another original Newman animation score.