• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017
    I helped crowdfund this movie. I'm so proud. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. So, YOU'RE who is to blame if it sucks NAZI balls. Oh, my sucky senses are tingling ... I feel a future blaming coming...

tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Guess who scored it? Zoë Poledouris. No, really. Out in theaters soon, but one of the trailers says it's available for free on Google Play as of two days ago. No announcement, no fanfare, she scored it and that's it.

If it's free on Google Play shouldn't it come up in a search of the store?

I just realized I was being a typical score nerd and thinking you meant the score when you meant the film is free on Google Play. Which it is. I would watch it except I'm much more interested in hearing Zoe's music on its own. Hope it manages to see release somewhere.
  3. "Green Eggs and Ham" (TV series; thirteen episodes ordered)
    David Newman
    Source: the official Twitter page of the representation agency he's currently with.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Goddamnit.

"Samuria Jack" (new fifth and final season)
    Tyler Bates (also with Joanne Higginbottom and Dieter Hartmann)
    Source: new video from Adult Swim on the creator's talking about new things on the show and naming the composer. Bates is also in the video.

And for those who care, the new voice of Aku:
    [spoiler]Greg Baldwin[/spoiler]
  5. "Becoming Bond"
    John Piscitello
    Source: a listing on sxsw.com
  6. According to FilmMusicReporter.com, Clint Mansell is out and Lorne Balfe is in on "Ghost in the Shell".

I guess the Lakeshore Records release of Mansell's score is probably being destroyed right now.
  7. They're BOTH credited for the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. We'll see, the film hasn't opened world wide yet, just a premiere in Japan (according to IMDb). I can't name the last film a Zimmer camp person took over on, that still had the previous compsoer credited. Been a long time.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    justin boggan wrote
    We'll see, the film hasn't opened world wide yet, just a premiere in Japan (according to IMDb). I can't name the last film a Zimmer camp person took over on, that still had the previous compsoer credited. Been a long time.

steve jablonsky on Lone Survivor. if 2013 is not too long ago and jablonsky still counts, even if he doesnt work for zimmer anymore. smile
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    another example is Woman in Gold from 2015, where zimmer got co-composer credit.
  9. Learn something new everyday:

Originally it was going to be entirely them. And I thought great, that Peter Berg, he has known them for years from, I believe that he did some stuff on FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

He hired them on board to do the score and they're great. I got a call at some point saying would I look at some scenes. OK, that's fine, yes. I don't know exactly why, I think maybe they thought, the band's music...for most of the film is working great, and they wanted me to help. It was great. I didn't work directly with them because they're in Austin, Texas and I'm in L.A. I spoke to them on the phone and I think sixty, sixty‑five percent of the scores is them. We ended up doing our own things. We tried to not have two totally different sounding scores.

(interview)

Though if he's not in Camp Zimmer anymore, I guess it shouldn't count.

I have no idea what happened on "Woman in Gold". For all I know they worked together, as the director says in an interview Phipps is a co-composer with Zimmer. Though if I had to guess, Phiupps was initially going to score it himself. This comment from the director in another interview raises an eyebrow a bit:

And then Harvey makes the call to Hans Zimmer, and then Hans Zimmer is doing the music for my film.
  10. "Top Gun: Maverick"
    Harold Faltermeyer
    Source: Tom Cruise, assuming he wasn't speaking out of his butt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_qJ2ne3OiI
  11. Well, I guess he isn't (yet). From First Breath, the resident synth score nut at FSM:

Harold is interested, no doubt about that. A couple of days ago he wrote on Facebook that "no one has called yet".
  12. ""The Revenge of the Defective Pearl"
    George Kallis
    Source: the official Facebook page for the film.
  13. "Coco" (upcoming Pixar film)
    Michael Giacchino
    Source: a picture of sheet music posted on Twitter that lists his name.
  14. justin boggan wrote
    ""The Revenge of the Defective Pearl"
    George Kallis
    Source: the official Facebook page for the film.

I gotta say that I like that title. I can't imagine what that film will be like, but I am intrigued. More so for Kallis's score, though. I like what he's done on his last couple scores.
  15. "Eva" (recorded)
    Bruno Coulais
    Source: the Facebook page of the orchestra who recorded.

The orchestra is new and appears -- by their own wording -- to have recorded their first score in the last year. It appears they only have two or three films under their belt thus far. The Generic Name Award goes to this new orchestra:

General Score Orchestra
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017
    Interesting news about Zimmer/Wallfisch being added to the Blade Runner project (Along with Johannson). I expect great textures, a power anthem, and droning.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  16. Hans is not into anthems anymore though. And he's too much of a fan of Vangelis (and friends with Ridley Scott) to do something like that. Do bear in mind that he's a pretty intelligent guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017
    More a brooding, minor key anthem.
  17. No anthem whatsoever, he's not into that kind of thematic material anymore, period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed.

I'm hoping it will be more in the vein of "Old Souls" on INCEPTION.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No anthem whatsoever, he's not into that kind of thematic material anymore, period.

But his DCEU scores...
  18. Batman v Superman doesn't really have much of a theme anywhere, does it? Except the Wonder Woman riff, but that's a riff, not an anthem (even if great, still, just a riff).

Man of Steel goes beyond anthems. These themes have a different character. The last "proper" anthem Hans wrote for a DC film is Like a Dog Chasing Cars from The Dark Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote

Man of Steel goes beyond anthems. These themes have a different character. The last "proper" anthem Hans wrote for a DC film is Like a Dog Chasing Cars from The Dark Knight.

I submit the last minute and a half of "Flight"
  19. I wouldn't call it an anthem, no (in fact, the Big Ass Long Track Title one would be closer). Unless you call Journey to the Line an anthem.

I'd even have issues calling Chevaliers de Sangreal an anthem, come to think of it. Just a different type of development.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017 edited
    Now we're just nitpicking about the definition of an anthem. Essentially, in Blade Runner, I expect an expansive piece that plays a very long-lined melody over a generic chord-structure. tongue
  20. justin boggan wrote
    "Green Eggs and Ham" (TV series; thirteen episodes ordered)
    David Newman
    Source: the official Twitter page of the representation agency he's currently with.

For Netflix. Too bad his first hit movie in years (Girls Trip) isn't the type that benefits composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017 edited
    Zimmer hasn't really written an old-school power anthem since the POTC theme. He also seems weary of it (he said so himself when I asked him this very question in Krakow a couple of years ago). But I AM expecting a few 'big chords', as Vangelis' original music also had plenty of those; the depth of the image mirrored in the depth of the chord leaps, not unlike INCEPTION.
    I am extremely serious.