• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "There is an article about Green Hornet on HitFix. I thought this quote was particularly cool:

[When I asked about the score, Gondry told us that Danny Elfman is still in the very early stages of working on it, and Seth laughed. "Watching him and Michel weird out together is pretty rad."]"

So, Elfman and "The Green Hornet" = CONFIRMED
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. "The Mechanic" (Simon West, director)
    Mark Isham
    Source: Isham confirmed it on his Facebook page, but only merely said he was going to go screen it with the director -- nothing about being hired (or not being hired).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Something of interest, to some score fans. From the recent E-Notes interview with John Debney:

iF: Well, they’re doing a new APES movie at Fox. You should give them a call!

DEBNEY: Well, they approached me, so we’re talking. We’ll see what happens!

We went from Goldsmith and Rosenman, to Elfman and Debney.
  4. "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole"
    David Hirschfelder
    Source: http://www.bscreview.com/2010/06/zack-s … eaturette/
    ComingSoon reports:

"Another thing we want to note is the absolutely glorious score by David Hirschfelder, who worked with Baz Luhrman on his recent Australia."
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I think Australia was one of the most under-rated scores of 2008. It was definitely spoiled for most people by poor music editing and an over-reliance on temp tracking. But in my opinion, this was a rare situation in which temp tracking and the referencing / direct quoting of traditional melodies was completely in sync with the tone and spirit of the film, thus enhancing the overall experience.

So I am excited about this news, can't wait to see what he does with another epic, this time one where he's free to do his own melodies smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I think Australia was one of the most under-rated scores of 2008. It was definitely spoiled for most people by poor music editing and an over-reliance on temp tracking. But in my opinion, this was a rare situation in which temp tracking and the referencing / direct quoting of traditional melodies was completely in sync with the tone and spirit of the film, thus enhancing the overall experience.

So I am excited about this news, can't wait to see what he does with another epic, this time one where he's free to do his own melodies smile

Nice score, I guess, but by God what an awful film!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    God awful film, very uninspired score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Elfman replaced on "The Green Hornet"?
    http://gordonandthewhale.com/james-newt … en-hornet/

BUT:

justin boggan wrote
    "There is an article about Green Hornet on HitFix. I thought this quote was particularly cool:

[When I asked about the score, Gondry told us that Danny Elfman is still in the very early stages of working on it, and Seth laughed. "Watching him and Michel weird out together is pretty rad.]"

So, it appears Elfman not only had the time, but so did the director and they were getting together and "geeking" out. I sense something more going on here, like ... oh ... say some studio worried the movie will suck balls as badly as the trailer heavily indicates, so they're trying to save it. Hurry up and plug that hole -- the ship is goin' down, baby!
  6. "F" (recorded)
    Neil Stemp (programmer for Kent and Trevor Jones)
    Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5LjfWMSEE
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    So JNH is scoring two superhero films for next year, one called The Green Hornet and one called The Green Lantern? That isn't going to confuse people at all.
  7. Assuming the news report didn't get their wires crossed, or got their info from someone who did.

Either way, J.N.H. will be feeling kind of green inside after scoring them, especially Hornet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    Elfman replaced on "The Green Hornet"?
    http://gordonandthewhale.com/james-newt … en-hornet/

BUT:

justin boggan wrote
    "There is an article about Green Hornet on HitFix. I thought this quote was particularly cool:

[When I asked about the score, Gondry told us that Danny Elfman is still in the very early stages of working on it, and Seth laughed. "Watching him and Michel weird out together is pretty rad.]"

So, it appears Elfman not only had the time, but so did the director and they were getting together and "geeking" out. I sense something more going on here, like ... oh ... say some studio worried the movie will suck balls as badly as the trailer heavily indicates, so they're trying to save it. Hurry up and plug that hole -- the ship is goin' down, baby!

If that's true, it's THE WOLFMAN story all over again. Maybe they'll come to their sense and reinsert Elfman's score, like they did with that one.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Unless when that quote, with a date of July 22nd, was made Elfman was almost done and about to get into a recording stage, I don't think he likely got passed demos. But I'll investigate.
  9. "Vanilla Gorilla" changed directors (I don't know when). Terry Loane was driecting it (and old news article said it was beginning filming in 2008) and Stephen Warbeck was the composer.

Now Brian Levant is directing, and he frequently works with David Newman. One can only hope.
  10. "Devil" (recorded; script written partially by M. Night Shyamalan)
    Fernando Velazquez
    Source: site of the one of the people who worked on the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    "Devil" (recorded; script written partially by M. Night Shyamalan)
    Fernando Velazquez
    Source: site of the one of the people who worked on the score.

A-ha! Very, very interesting!
  11. "127 Hours" (almost at recording)
    A.R. Rahman
    Source: website of someone who is orchestrating it.

Looks like the director, Danny Boyle, is continuing with Rahman rather than John Murphy.
  12. "Burlesque"
    "Red"
    (replacing David Holmes' score, it seems)
    Christophe Beck
    Source: can't provide anything yet, but maybe later.

"Statue Of David"
    Barrington Pheloung
    Source: agency's site, News page.
  13. Rahman? Or who?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. Edited. Oopsy.
  15. justin boggan wrote
    "127 Hours" (almost at recording)
    A.R. Rahman

Looks like the director, Danny Boyle, is continuing with Rahman rather than John Murphy.

Boyle and Murphy had a falling out, as I understand it, around the time of 28 WEEKS LATER. SUNSHINE was to be his last score for Danny Boyle as a result.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A.R. Rahman

Boyle and Murphy had a falling out, as I understand it, around the time of 28 WEEKS LATER. SUNSHINE was to be his last score for Danny Boyle as a result.

Great. Another unique collaboration going to hell, and now he's replacing him with Rahman? Great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    So, do we have another unconditional Oscar winner here? tongue

Kidding, I'm looking forward to it but I hope they don't overhype and blow it out of proportion like Slumdog.
  16. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A.R. Rahman

Great. Another unique collaboration going to hell, and now he's replacing him with Rahman? Great.

I thought Rahman's work on Couple's Retreat was quite good, as well as his collaboration with Armstrong on Elizabeth: TGA. Seeing as how this score isn't going to be full of bollywood-type songs, I'm thinking it could be enjoyable. I'm a little worried about what the film might call for, though. A movie about a guy who is trapped in a mountain crack for 127 hours seems like it could be appropriately scored with some pretty bleak music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    But not if he was John Murphy.
  17. "The Wicker Tree"
    John Scott
    Source: movie's official website, which has a 1:49 video interview with Scott:
    http://thewickertreemovie.com/webroot/v2/media
  18. SCOTT IS RETURNING TO FILM SCORING??

Great!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  19. ^^^ Or:

"Great scott!"
  20. Christodoulides wrote
    But not if he was John Murphy.

I don't really get that. There's some nice piano chords in MIAMI VICE and SUNSHINE at some key moments in those films, but anyone could have done that stuff. Murphy is not the greatest loss to film music I can imagine. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    Regarding Rahman, all I know is that Couples Retreat was among the best scores I heard last year...and the film was a comedy. "'Nuff said", as they say.