• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017
    Thor wrote
    Zimmer hasn't really written an old-school power anthem since the POTC theme. He also seems weary of it (he said so himself when I asked him this very question in Krakow a couple of years ago). But I AM expecting a few 'big chords', as Vangelis' original music also had plenty of those; the depth of the image mirrored in the depth of the chord leaps, not unlike INCEPTION.

He doesn't write themes anymore. If you listen carefully and think about it, he writes chord-motifs. Bold, big-ass chord processions that sort of make a 'theme-like' impression at the end.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Because there is always a recurring motif on top of these progressions. If you had three notes going alone while staying in one chord, that would be weird.

But then you have Journey to the Line, which is exactly the technique you just described.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The chords in the thin red line are the basis for the two wonderful themes , and all is hummable and memorable . He doesn't write like that anymore. Now its more riff driven rock style chords by orchestra , and other non orchestral instruments . Its orchestral Zimmer rock , a new genuinely his sound smile
  2. Are we talking about the same theme though?

I mean, there are two similar chord progressions in Thin Red Line, one is Journey to the Line, the other one, a bit simpler doesn't quite get there (like in the first track). The other themes in Thin Red Line (the "dark march" for Nick Nolte, Witt's theme which is the main theme of the film, Christian Race, which is a bit of a theme for Welsh, if I remember well) aren't based on that at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i am not talking about journey to the line, you are talking about that one I guess? smile there's are a couple of other themes that are prominent and hummable, like in THE LAGOON, another in THE LIGHT, and so on, the score is very romantic (as in the era) and classical (as in structure) with long pieces, like movements, very hummable, naturally progressing etc with clear-cut melodies. Only the journey to the line hints the new zimmer sound.
  3. Much more hints at the new sound, but there is a slightly more traditional structure to it, that's true. The Lagoon (especially the ending theme) and Light themes (and the second part is another hint at the "new Zimmer" as it's a descending motif repeated in chord progression, just like Journey... and it crops up in Hannibal, too) are not relevant in that those (if beautiful, Light is one of the most important musical pieces in my life, period) themes do not recur anywhere else in the film. The main (even central, if we consider Conrado Xalabarder's terminology) theme is Stone in My Heart, actually. Journey to the Line recurs, but the album gives it much more prominence than it actually has in the film. Other recurring themes are Colonel Tall's (the dark march-like theme at the end of The Coral Atoll) and Captain Staros' (reappropriated The Christian Race hymn). I'm trying to recall if Bell has a theme at this moment (the clarinet House of the Spirits-like theme at the end of The Lagoon is for the last letter he gets). And if Sergeant Welsh (I misappropriated Staros' theme as his in the other comment) has one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it's natural, it's Terence Mallick. He's the worst butcher of music when it comes to music editing in his film. Love his work, but man screw his musical tastes. I am talking about TTRL on album, the single score that I've heard the most times in my life so far and I don't think I will ever surpass it with another.
  4. I'm not sure the score was that much butchered as it was constantly revised. Light has about 3-4 variations which are almost identical, but as the not-so-official material shows, the structure of the score was retained.

It wouldn't make sense for Journey to the Line to be the main theme of the film, come to think of it. It's what the title says it is: a journey theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The best versions are on the album. A gorgeous, long, coherent and very well-built album. My favorite Z score to date, along with interstellar and gladiator.
  5. "Gnaw"
    Mario Grigorov
    Source: the film's official Facebook page.

"Holmes and Watson"
    Christophe Beck
    Source: resume of somebody who worked on the score.

"Gringo"
    Christophe Beck

"Molly's Game"
    Daniel Pemberton
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. "Half Magic"
    Alex Wurman

"Magic Camp"
    Rolfe Kent

"Chance" (TV series)
    Mark Snow
    Source: GSA Music resume. Presumably -- if the resume is not out-of-date (like so many are on GSA; what laziness) -- this is for season two which comes in October.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Jonny Greenwood is apparently out and an un-named composer doing a new score for "A Wrinkle in Time".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2017
    justin boggan wrote
    Jonny Greenwood is apparently out and an un-named composer doing a new score for "A Wrinkle in Time".

Jeff Danna wrote the score for the old TV adaptation.

I love the book so much, I hope they don't ruin it.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  8. The film version. The original Canadian TV edit had different composers.

Jeff Danna did a good score. It's not been released. Probably won't be if it was recorded in Canada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2017 edited
    I might be influenced by listening to "The Golden Compass" yesterday, but I think Desplat could do a killer job on this movie.

The dystopian planet they visit in the book is controlled by a single, regular rhythm (everyone moves in time to it). I could see Desplat's pulsating bass really accentuating that.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  9. "The Reflection" (animated mini series)
    Trevor Horn
    Source: an interview where he said he had just finished the music.
  10. "The Automat" (documentary)
    Hummie Mann
    Source: the production company's official website.
  11. "Cruel Hearts"
    Joe Kraemer
    Source: Joe confirmed this in July.
  12. UNCONFIRMED

"Lost in space" (May, 2018 series)
    Christopher Drake

Aside from his IMDb page, Drake's Wikipedia page says he was hired for it. Yes, Wikipedia can be edited by anybody.
  13. E.T. and seemingly also Close Encounters by John Williams from La La Land. No details yet.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  14. That's the "Upcoming CDs" thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    E.T. and seemingly also Close Encounters by John Williams from La La Land. No details yet.

Volker

I can't wait!
  15. Please add the 'Inside Mother-ship' bit to Close Encounters. And keep the previous Arista presentation as much as possible. I can then die happy. cheesy

As for E.T. I have two presentations (1982 and 1996), and not sure what exactly is missing.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  16. What's missing is an album that puts both of those together, which will give fans going forward the opportunity to only make ONE ET purchase, despite this being perhaps the best ever example of a score where you really need to hear BOTH albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017 edited
    I own the 20th Anniversary 2002 album of E.T., but don't really listen to it that much. Hopefully this release will include that early album with all those suites people mention? I can imagine I'd listen to that a whole lot more and provides a better listening experience?

About Close Encounters, I LOVE this score, but I also LOVE the Arista release. It's a near perfect listening experience in which the full emotional journey fits on one CD. I'm afraid this new version will break that up with the buildup on CD1 and then the release on the other. Will look into it what the release will actually add. But in terms of my love of the score, it's enough for a purchase if it will improve significantly on audio quality (even though Arista is great in that respect).
  17. I agree Bob. Being in my top 5 Williams scores I will most likely pick this up even if I find the arista release perfectly presented. Some clever sequencing by lalaland should definitely put the whole finale which amounts to 30+ minutes on the second disc.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  18. "Traffik" (recorded)
    Geoff Zanelli
    Source: Zanelli on both his Twitter and Facebook page. The film opens in April next year. That's about eight months of advance in recording the score, at least.

FilmMusicReporter.com has also reported two other new assignments.
  19. justin boggan wrote
    Jonny Greenwood is apparently out and an un-named composer doing a new score for "A Wrinkle in Time".

Yup. The new composer is:

Ramin Djawadi
    Source: the official website of somebody working on the score.
  20. Well that's pretty unsurprising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017
    He, he....yeah. Nothing against Djawadi, but from Greenwood to him -- that's a leap right there. Like Goldenthal being replaced with Randy Edelman or something.
    I am extremely serious.