• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yeah, but will we live to see Zohan turn into a classic? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I don't think anyone calling a score worthless ruins the fun. (...)

I came out of my first viewing of The Fellowship of the Ring, being totally at awe about the greatness of that movie and the mood it let me leave the theatre in. The first thing that happened to me when I came out, being totally happy about the experience? A friend of mine, standing right next to me, stating what a stupid dick the actor for Aragorn had been.

I guess that traumatized me for life. biggrin

Of course LOTR isn´t the 100% perfect experience, BUT it´s very, very close, and I will never understand how people get more fun out of criticizing what they disliked instead of being happy about what they liked.

So yeah, I know it´s my problem that I feel my fun being ruined by others that easily. But I think I have a point, too.

Aye, I agree but still... it's best to adjust as much as possible. Because sadly, no one is going to be the way we want them to be, nor will we become they way they want us to. So, best try keep along some way, hehe. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I want to see the day in future when TODAY's scores are considered classics and given releases like The Golden Age scores! Starting with The Lion King!!!

If this wouldn´t fit to the topic, I would try to oppress your opinion now by asking you to leave it alone for once, but there you are... biggrin

Oh enough with the Erik thingy already, it's starting to get a bit tedious mate.

Plus the "Canadian/American bashing the European/German p.o.v" is completely idiotic. I never experienced such ethnicity problems when discussing film scores on this nor on any other forum, especially when it comes to established members of this community here and for the subject matter- Erik himself.

Let's not turn things into ridiculously primal and chaotic whilst there's absolutely no reason for such a thing in 2008, in this very international multi-cultural forum, right here, right now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I do think that the true "highs", the ones with potential iconic status, are more few and far between than they used to be, say, thirty to forty years ago.

This could be a sentence taken from a forum in the 80´s, the 90´s, or the year 2145. It´s all about perspective. Sadly, we won´t live enough to know which scores will be considered classics. How many films were trashed, savaged, etc in the past and are now considered classics or cult films? And how many scores? Perspective and time, that´s the point. In the meantime, have fun!

You lived enough to see STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES turning into classics, haven't you?

Sure (although I´d remove Indiana Jones from the list), but I was referring to the "thirty to forty years ago" that Martijn was talking about. But of course I expct to live to know dozens of classics wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    @ Demetris:

Yes, Sir. I´ll behave now, though I still can´t believe you really think I want to suppress freedom of speech, as your earlier comments suggested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say such a thing;

Come on mate, we've talked via pm's in the past for a specific reason and i believe you know me better than this. You shouldn't be feeling threatened 24/24 and certainly not by me; sometimes you just have to let go and enjoy life, even if you feel that all what's right and fair in the world is on your shoulders. That might very well be true in some cases, but anyway, if you made your points perfectly clear, there's a line that has to be drawn by you and you alone and relax; let go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Plus the "Canadian/American bashing the European/German p.o.v" is completely idiotic. I never experienced such ethnicity problems

Being the stickler for detail that I am, I feel I should be remiss if not pointing out that the Canadian/American/European/German ethnicity is one and the same.

Yes,
    you can use the kill emoticon on me now. smile

Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    You lived enough to see STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES turning into classics, haven't you?

Sure (although I´d remove Indiana Jones from the list), but I was referring to the "thirty to forty years ago" that Martijn was talking about.

Star Wars WAS thirty years ago.
    How time flies when you're having fun. smile

Incidentally whether you like it or not: the Indiana Jones theme has turned into an classic (though one might argue a difference between an icon and a classic, but I wouldn't want to bring the discussion to a level as molecular as that).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Everyone should be allowed to express themselves freely though

There it was. But let´s end this, I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    ...but I wouldn't want to bring the discussion to a level as molecular as that).

Come on, you know you want to. Do it. Molecularize this joint!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Everyone should be allowed to express themselves freely though

No no no no no, not getting away THAT easily, Raph! wink

How does a call for for openness and freedom of speech lead to the conclusion that you wouold want to suppress the like?
    Remember, you're talking to D. here. He's Greek.
    By extension, he invented democracy! (and I'd bloody well would like a word with you on that, D.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Incidentally whether you like it or not: the Indiana Jones theme has turned into an classic (though one might argue a difference between an icon and a classic, but I wouldn't want to bring the discussion to a level as molecular as that).

Actually I was about to edit my post to say that the Indy Theme is a classic, but not the score. But let´s leave it here, as I don´t want all the John Williams fanboys (which is an army that never criticises the man) to jump to my neck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

No no no no no, not getting away THAT easily, Raph! wink

How does a call for for openness and freedom of speech lead to the conclusion that you wouold want to suppress the like?

Within the context of me being already accused of that by Erik, it seemed that way to me. But as I said, I´m willing to leave it now as it is and be quiet about my spoiled funs in the future. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    all the John Williams fanboys (which is an army that never criticises the man) to jump to my neck.

I think you may have us confused with JWFAN.NET, Marselus. smile
    Over here, I've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy... erm... I mean, more leveled criticism at Williams than anywhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

That applies to you as well, that's what i meant and i thought it was pretty evident confused

The very fact that you should be allowed to express yourself (and you are, i believe that it's also evident during the last 24 hours and several pages of this topic ), that doesn't cancel the automatic and logical - imo - fact that Erik has exactly the same rights as well. That's what you need to understand; that in this forum - at least, he (and everyone else feeling the same) is able and free to bash and express his negative feelings for whatever he feels like it just as much as you are able to express positive input on a work or defend yourself and tastes.

Asking him not to bash Zimmer again or shut up and let you and others enjoy is exactly the same thing as him asking you to leave. You have to understand that.

There, the Greek democracy has spoken. wink

Oh and for the love of God, enough with it already; get out (this applies to all) get some beer and the warm company of a juicy hot lady (or two), they are - and have always been - the one and only, eternal, essential and diachronic medicine for every bad thing in our lives. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Actually I was about to edit my post to say that the Indy Theme is a classic, but not the score. But let´s leave it here, as I don´t want all the John Williams fanboys (which is an army that never criticises the man) to jump to my neck.

'Let's leave it here' is never an effective shield against acts of jumping down one's neck. It's akin to saying "You know what, fuck you. Fuck all of you! I hate you, and you should all die and go to hell. But let's not continue this discussion, shall we? It won't get us anywhere." biggrin (Okay, so maybe not too akin to that, but you see my point. wink)

Why would you not consider the rest of the score a classic then? Probably goes without saying that I think it is a classic, but I'm interested to know why you don't think it's a classic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh and for the love of God, enough with it already; get out (this applies to all) get some beer and the warm company of a juicy hot lady (or two), they are - and have always been - the one and only, eternal, essential and diachronic medicine for every bad thing in our lives. beer

Or better yet, come join me in Demetris' head. Party on duuude! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

.....a right egit!

Hehe, true dat. biggrin

Me too actually....

Cheers beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Obviously you both need a hefty helping of diachronic medicine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

.....a right egit!

Hehe, true dat. biggrin

Me too actually....

Cheers beer

Well, like they say, two idiots are better than one.

Um, that is what they say, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Asking him not to bash Zimmer again or shut up... is exactly the same thing as him asking you to leave.

That´s not what I did and that´s what nobody seems to get. What I did was asking him not to bash Zimmer again or shut up right there, in that topic but where I felt it belonged. If that is the same as him asking me to leave the forum, then I´ll be damned.

And now let me enjoy my beer. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, trust me, you're ALL pretty much damned...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

.....a right egit!

Hehe, true dat. biggrin

Me too actually....

Cheers beer

Well, like they say, two idiots are better than one.

Um, that is what they say, right?

Like two blind men?....uhmm, best leave it at that wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think it's great to generally be a music fan these days with the availability of so much music. I'm really surprised Erik doesn't listen to "classical" music since he loves the traditional scoring? I think the late romantic and on into much of the 20th century concert music would appeal to him a great deal (and would find where a lot of modern composers have gotten their influences from)... there's so much great music out there, not to mention many of the different modern genres created throughout the 20th century.

Certainly for people finding a lack of quality in modern day scoring and not being familiar with the incredible wealth of fantastic music you mention there is an incredible and fulfilling journey to be had, one that I'm still on and would recommend everyone interested in orchestral music to at least have a look into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

'Let's leave it here' is never an effective shield against acts of jumping down one's neck. It's akin to saying "You know what, fuck you. Fuck all of you! I hate you, and you should all die and go to hell. But let's not continue this discussion, shall we? It won't get us anywhere." biggrin (Okay, so maybe not too akin to that, but you see my point. wink)

Why would you not consider the rest of the score a classic then? Probably goes without saying that I think it is a classic, but I'm interested to know why you don't think it's a classic?

I think is not a classic in the same sense Star Wars is. The Main Theme is a classic (even if it´s because it´s been used until tiresome) but as a whole, it doesn´t fit my classic status as Star Wars, which IS a classic with capitals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    First of all, here is what's so absolutely stupid about this whole thing. Ralph took my general comment about the lack of good film music in the past 3 years as a Zimmer bash. Ralph, I wasn't singling out Zimmer when I said that. I was talking about film music as a whole. Yes, there have been a HANDFUL of good scores in the past 3 years but overall - that includes Zimmer, Desplat, Zigman, Williams, Horner... the whole lot of them... I've been extremely disappointed with the output. BTW, some of the better works in the past 3 years have come from the pen of Zimmer... The Da Vinci Code and At World's End. So, stop assuming that when I mention the overall failure of film music in the past 3 years that I'm only talking about Zimmer and his crew.

Secondly, not once did I call you a psycho or psychopath. Where the hell did that come from? But if you can sight an example of where I did then I will shut up. I not, then I would like an apology. I don't think anyone around here is a psycho path.

I've never stated that my tastes are superior. Just because I think Golden Age scores and scores written 20 some odd years ago are better than what's written today doesn't mean that my tastes are superior to anyone else's. We are all unique and have unique tastes. Enjoy what ever makes you happy but if we are talking about a score that I don't like I'm going to post my opinions. I also, very often, comment about a scores that I DO like.

As for telling you to piss off... again, if you don't like the way we ALL discuss film music here on the board then go somewhere else. It's that simple.

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious and hypocritical that Ralph is "bitching" about other users who "bitch" about the current state of film music. dizzy Totally ridiculous.

Lastly, I'm a Canadian. Yes, Canada is in North American but we Canadians are NOT Americans.

-Erik-

PS - Ralph - talk to me about my Star Wars: The Clone Wars review on my show? What did I say that was so "agonizing and embarrassing" that it "made you cringe." I can handle the criticism.

PPS - Raiders of the Lost Ark is a prime example of a classic score.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Just answering in a more or less friendly fashion, I hope. Please feel free to ignore...

Erik Woods wrote
    First of all, here is what's so absolutely stupid about this whole thing. Ralph took my general comment about the lack of good film music in the past 3 years as a Zimmer bash.

First of all, no, I didn´t (in the above post, I just referred to Demetris´ quote as a rhetorical instrument). I took it as your usual dissapointment about scores these days, regardless of who composes them, which is as well known as the fact that you quite often did say that Zimmer was responsible for the dramatic change in film scoring and how he and his clones are getting in the way of movies becoming scored in the way you prefer. So, one way or the other, we all know what you mean when you say you´re dissappointed by the output. And that´s what I was referring to, Zimmer mentioned or not. I know you like some Zimmer scores. But I also know what you think about his style in general as much as I know that even Williams can´t do things right for you these days. It´s your constant dissatisfaction I was talking about. You´re damn hard to satisfy these days, Erik, and instead of asking yourself whether your taste is just too special, you blaim everyone else who doesn´t things the way you like of mediocre talent or enthusiasm.

Secondly, not once did I call you a psycho or psychopath. Where the hell did that come from? But if you can sight an example of where I did then I will shut up. I not, then I would like an apology. I don't think anyone around here is a psycho path.

English may not be my mothers tongue, but I know what "this guy needs serious help" means. So don´t play games with me.

I've never stated that my tastes are superior.

Yes, you did, even if you wanted it to sound like a joke, but you did, and it didn´t actually come across as a joke. (Remember now?)

As for telling you to piss off... again, if you don't like the way we ALL discuss film music here on the board then go somewhere else. It's that simple.

That´s the problem. I like this place, and if I have the feeling there are things that could be done differently, I will tell you, and not just whince and leave like a beaten dog.

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious and hypocritical that Ralph is "bitching" about other users who "bitch" about the current state of film music. dizzy Totally ridiculous.

Please, this is - indeed - ridiculous. Who bitched first and who answered to that and who said what that was more ridiculous than the rest is ridiculous indeed. Especially when all I did was asking you to think whether your opinion was really needed right here, again, when everyone can already quote it in sleep.

Lastly, I'm a Canadian. Yes, Canada is in North American but we Canadians are NOT Americans.

Well, geographically, you are for me, but I hope you know I don´t mean that as an insult. I just referred to the American Way of Life regarding to that freedom of speech thing, not to your actual heritage.

PS - Ralph - talk to me about my Star Wars: The Clone Wars review on my show? What did I say that was so "agonizing and embarrassing" that it "made you cringe." I can handle the criticism.

It wasn´t so much what you said, it was the way you said it with a totally out of place, embarrassing and vibrating arrogance. Cringeworthy. Even if you were right, and if I didn´t know you, I would have thought immediately: "Who does the guy think who he is? Mozart?" It was your attitude (which, BTW, comes across as arrogant quite often on your show, but this time it was just too much to bear). That doesn´t mean I don´t like what you do with your show (which is the reason why I constantly return), it´s just that feeling of snobbish arrogance that comes across, sorry.

To end this, I see no need to go any further, since every aspect has been answred to and quoted and been discussed to death even before your return, so let´s just leave it. I will admit that I was harsh, but that´s it. You´ll get nothing else from me. Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Just answering in a more or less friendly fashion, I hope. Please feel free to ignore...

Erik Woods wrote
    First of all, here is what's so absolutely stupid about this whole thing. Ralph took my general comment about the lack of good film music in the past 3 years as a Zimmer bash.

First of all, no, I didn´t (in the above post, I just referred to Demetris´ quote as a rhetorical instrument). I took it as your usual dissapointment about scores these days, regardless of who composes them, which is as well known as the fact that you quite often did say that Zimmer was responsible for the dramatic change in film scoring and how he and his clones are getting in the way of movies becoming scored in the way you prefer. So, one way or the other, we all know what you mean when you say you´re dissappointed by the output. And that´s what I was referring to, Zimmer mentioned or not. I know you like some Zimmer scores. But I also know what you think about his style in general as much as I know that even Williams can´t do things right for you these days. It´s your constant dissatisfaction I was talking about. You´re damn hard to satisfy these days, Erik, and instead of asking yourself whether your taste is just too special, you blaim everyone else who doesn´t things the way you like of mediocre talent or enthusiasm.

All of the above is simply WRONG! Flat out wrong. You are assuming again and read what you want to read and make up the rest.

And yes, I'm hard to satisfy these days. Things, IMHO, are not up to snuff. Hell, even various film composers think so, too. That doesn't justify my comments but I'm not alone on this issue. Film music has taken a detour to the dark side and hopefully one day it will right itself again. But the past 3 years haven't done much for me. There are more average and below average score these days then there ever has been.

Still, I don't see why my tastes have gotten your panties in such a knot. Again, you like what you like and I will like what I like.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

English may not be my mothers tongue, but I know what "this guy needs serious help" means. So don´t play games with me.

I'm not playing a game. I DIDN'T call you a psycho path. I'm just saying that you need some serious help if a simple comment of mine gets you all riled up like that.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've never stated that my tastes are superior.

Yes, you did, even if you wanted it to sound like a joke, but you did, and it didn´t actually come across as a joke. (Remember now?)

When and where?

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That´s the problem. I like this place, and if I have the feeling there are things that could be done differently, I will tell you, and not just whince and leave like a beaten dog.

Ok... so you are willing to deal with it. Great!

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Please, this is - indeed - ridiculous. Who bitched first and who answered to that and who said what that was more ridiculous than the rest is ridiculous indeed. Especially when all I did was asking you to think whether your opinion was really needed right here, again, when everyone can already quote it in sleep.

rolleyes You continue this crusade to stop people from bitching yet you are just doing the EXACT SAME THING. Can't you see how that makes you look?

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, geographically, you are for me, but I hope you know I don´t mean that as an insult. I just referred to the American Way of Life regarding to that freedom of speech thing, not to your actual heritage.

Again, we Canadians are very much different than our American neighbours. I mean, are you Polish? Same geographical area.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It wasn´t so much what you said, it was the way you said it with a totally out of place, embarrassing and vibrating arrogance. Cringeworthy. Even if you were right, and if I didn´t know you, I would have thought immediately: "Who does the guy think who he is? Mozart?" It was your attitude (which, BTW, comes across as arrogant quite often on your show, but this time it was just too much to bear). That doesn´t mean I don´t like what you do with your show (which is the reason why I constantly return), it´s just that feeling of snobbish arrogance that comes across, sorry.

Can't satisfy them all. BTW, how would you like me to sound? That's the way I talk. If I don't like something I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Again, I think you have issues with people who state their opinions that don't necessarily agree with yours.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Going off on a tangent of the tangent: I -surprise, surprise- like critics/reviewers to speak their mind. Collymoddling or pussyfooting around bores me. I prefer strong statements to pique my interest.

Of course that does entail a like reaction, but my thinking always is that if you can dish it out (especially publically), you should be able to take it as well.

That said, I always found Erik's comments on the show to be relatively mild (unless he really, really loves something, in which case it shines through like kryptonite through Superman!)
    ...which may probably say more about me rather than about Erik's style. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Going off on a tangent of the tangent: I -surprise, surprise- like critics/reviewers to speak their mind. Collymoddling or pussyfooting around bores me. I prefer strong statements to pique my interest.

Of course that does entail a like reaction, but my thinking always is that if you can dish it out (especially publically), you should be able to take it as well.

That said, I always found Erik's comments on the show to be relatively mild (unless he really, really loves something, in which case it shines through like kryptonite through Superman!)
    ...which may probably say more about me rather than about Erik's style. sad

Here is the Star Wars segment in question... just in case anyone was interested in hearing my rant.

http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/st … speech.mp3

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have no sound available just now, but I shall listen to it anon, and give you my undiluted feedback! biggrin