• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I have no sound available just now, but I shall listen to it anon, and give you my undiluted feedback! biggrin

"Oh be gentle with me, be gentle with me."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I have no sound available just now, but I shall listen to it anon, and give you my undiluted feedback! biggrin

"Oh be gentle with me, be gentle with me."

-Erik-

I am sorry Ralph, but i wholeheartedly agree with the points raised by Erik and they were based on observations on valid points - imo, made in a very polite manner i'd say. Judging by the bore fest the score is, I can honestly tell you i'd have said it so much differently and very less subtle; that's why i don't host a radio show i guess. I 100% fail to see how anything Erik said in this segment or any of the words and phrases he used are of the slightest offense to anyone nor where Erik came along as ignorant, bullying or anything celf-centered like that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You´ll get nothing else from me. Seriously.

Read my words again, it might help ending this.

Regarding to the audio show segment, Demetris, if that kind of talking down to the audience is okay for you, you´re obviously more oblivious to pain than I am. Good for you, mate. And BTW, I was annoyed by it regardless of whether I like the score or not. And I don´t.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, heard it now.
    Personal but valid opinions, brought with a minimum of heavy-handedness.
    I happen to fully agree with Erik's assessments as well, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't feel the critique is needlessly harsh or opinionated.
    In fact, it's exactly the sort of comment I've come to expect from Erik on his show. Personal interest, mitigated by professional considerations.

Rosenman could have learned a thing or two from him. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said before the magazine writer Hirsch is to blame. He chose to print it for sensationalism for Starlog magazine. I would have worded it in a different way. Let us remember the man for other things. [b]COBWEB[b] like it or not was quite historic and brought a different music to Hollywood.

John Wayne sided and supported the junior senator from Wisconsin Joe McCarthy during the Communist debacle in the 50's. Does that make him evil? Let us remember him for the joy he gave us in some of his films.

The music today is evolving. Film music, compared to classical, isn't that old. Think of the changes classical has gone thru from Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Schoenberg and now Adams and Glass.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's terrible being a score fan now. Our current situation makes it impossible to buy a good-condition copy of Raiders on CD for less than $60!! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    It's terrible being a score fan now. Our current situation makes it impossible to buy a good-condition copy of Raiders on CD for less than $60!! cry

Aaaaaaah. Very good point!

-Erik-

PS - Martijn and Demetris beer
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    We should be grateful that so much material is now available to us! My father found it difficult to obtain a copy of Laura, in fact until the studio received letter after letter there was no recording. A 12" 78RPM was released with 20th Century Fox being given the credit.
    Thomas smile
  1. Since this is meant to be about how great it is to be a score fan these days, when are we going to start talking about soundtrack download blogs and Alexandre Desplat?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. There's a thread for MP3s and stuff, and a thread for Desplat, so feel free anytime, franz. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Justin joins the Thread Police!

How does it feel to be part of The System,. Justin? biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    An interesting point!
    I went to our local video rental place that carries nearly everything old, or eclectic figuring that they would have a copy of Night Digger. I recently got the Label X remastered score so I thought since I've not seen the movie it would be nice. The movie isn't available on VHS or DVD yet the score is. In this case it is easier to get the music.
    Thomas smile
  3. Martijn wrote

It's sort of like being ... DA DA DA DAAAH! The Grammer Nazi!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's sort of like being ... DA DA DA DAAAH! The Grammer Nazi!

Shut up.
    Now.

biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    The Grammar nazi that can't spell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    The Grammar nazi that can't spell.

The Gummy Nazi wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    eat
  4. I'm still trying to catch up with posts and I noticed this thread with the 100+ posts - but after reading the first few posts I should have recognised the signs. Lots of posts = a bit of mud-slinging.

After about 5-10 posts I've just moved to the end of the topic. So I apologise if this has been mentioned amongst the uninteresting posts.

It has been great to see all these older titles being released - and for those who follow the details, especially when all the indications are that the release of these titles would be unlikely.

One of the things that's great with the older releases is that we are now getting to the time when these releases are for films that I saw when I was growing up. Yes it's great to see releases of the older scores - both original tracks and lovingly crafted re-recordings. But these are snapped up purely because of the quality of the scores and/or the composers. But to have these newer titles released that are from films that I saw when growing up - that adds a little something to the mix.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    Keeping this to soundtrack releases and not the contemporary film music scene (which is the topic of that sticky thread which I have yet to read through):

I think we're living in an AMAZING time for soundtrack releases. Everybody probably agrees there - both in terms of reissues of older scores and score releases of almost every new motion picture there is, at least the mainstream ones. Still, I'm often taken aback by all the nitpicking that nonetheless occurs in soundtrack communities. It's a bit like spoiled children. Once there is a proliferation of releases, people eye the possibilities of seeing their own favourites released, which again results in a "that's great, what's next?" attitude. I hate that.

Now, what consequence does this wonderful situation have for me, personally? Not that much, I'm afraid. First of all, I cut down my new acquisitions several years ago in order to focus on what I already have. But the increased market was also partially responsible...it became a luxury problem. There was no way I was going to be part of the "carousel", keeping up with releases that had a modicum of interest.

Second, many of the specialty labels operate with a C&C (Complete & Chronological) ideology that everyone knows goes against my personal preference. So I'm not the target of these releases in the first place. This makes it easier to "ignore" the releases coming out, even if the musical content itself is good. But even though most of these aren't made for me, I have no problem WHATSOEVER to applaud for those self-same releases. It's amazing to have them available, to preserve an important part of our popular culture.
    I am extremely serious.