• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    Last year, I bought my first DSLR, a Sony A330. I love it, though with some caveat. No movie recording and a good enough sensor.

Pros
    - Quick Live View. Still the best in its entry-level class.
    - Alpha Mount from the Konica Minolta/Sony merger that allows me to use awesome Minolta glass at a relatively cheap price.
    - In-body Image Stabilizer system
    - Help guide.
    - Small size. Having a more "compact size" and the live-view makes it more appealing for me to hand it off to my wife and know that it wouldn't be unwieldy for her to handle it.

Cons
    - Noise @ ISO800. I bought this cam to take pictures of my kid (and soon, kids) and most of the time it's in door. So even with either my 50mm F1.7 or my 18-50 F2.8 or the 28mm F2.8, I still have to set my ISO at 800 to get enough SS to photography my rambunctious baby. But then, such noise (@ ISO800) are absent in 4 x 6prints.
    - Low continuous shooting performance. I would love something in the 4fps-5fps, but not for the price.

Lens list

Minolta 28mm 2.8
    Minolta 35-70mm 3.5-5.6
    Minolta 50mm 1.7 - Most used
    Minolta 70-210mm F4.5-5.6

Sigma 28-80mm 3.5.5.6
    Sigma 18-50mm 2.8-4.5 - Daily usage - Sharp result wide open. Good colors. Comparable to my Minolta 28 and 50 primes.

Sony 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 - Kit lens.

I would love to get a fast zoom, something with a reach from 18-200 at sub F3.5 but that's not really possible.

My 18-50 Sigma is what I need and have now. For my trip back to Hawaii next week, I'll have that, along with the 50mm and the 70-210, and I'll be set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a good machine, it's about 380 euros here. How much did you buy it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's a good machine, it's about 380 euros here. How much did you buy it?

I bought it for only $519. That was 3 months after it was released. It was a great price that can only be matched/exceed now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Camera's don't talk. That's just silly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Why not? Airplanes do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    and dead people.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There was a talking camera made by Minolta called the talker. It failed
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    There was a talking camera made by Minolta called the talker. It failed

They were just ahead of their time. shocked

Good thing their lenses are always great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Never had a Minolta. I got my best pictures I think with my Leica M3 and a 50mm Summicron 2.0. All black and white from Panatomic X to Tri X. Had my own darkroom too.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    But as another twist to the story, we found that a group member has the Canon Mark II at home! He's bringing it to school tomorrow so that will make things exciting.

It looks like we will get a good Canon EOS for now and use the Sigma lens on it. Later, when we have more money we'll get a Canon lens.

We did a bunch of experiments with the Canon Mark II with its kit lens and extension tubes. It came out pretty good.
    http://imgur.com/EyVdH.jpg

What was awesome was that Canon has a software utility that lets you adjust focus and aperture from your computer once you connect your camera to it (by USB). This gets us a large display of the focus and lets us record and transfer videos quickly.

Of course, if we use the Sigma lens on a Canon body then we can't use the computer to adjust focus and aperture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is that in the picture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and Beware of incompatibilities though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    You have to expect that with Sigma.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am getting this babe here

http://www.plaisio.gr/Sound-Vision/Phot … 50K001.htm

I have the D5000 and I love it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    Stick with the good Nikon glass Erik and you'll not be disappointed
  1. I've only been able to afford a modestly priced camera - the Panasonic/Linux DMC-FZ7 - which I bought a couple of years ago. I chose this based on price range, online reviews and what I wanted to do with the camera (a relatively general point-and-shoot camera with the opportunity to manually set when I grew in confidence.)

It has served me well but I've never really been able to replicate, in everyday useage, the quality of photos I've seen on these review sites. The level of the ability of the operator definitely plays a big role in how good the photos I take.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan, you should investigate the basic Canon digital Rebel.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    Alan, you should investigate the basic Canon digital Rebel.
    Thomas

Go a bit further, think about what you really want out of a picture, how you would like to use the camera, how would you like it to fit you. You might not even want a view finder, nor would you want the un-portable nature of DSLRs. This is really the time to find out because there are lots of options available now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I still use the Panasonic DMC-FT1:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_161255

Apparently there's a new version of it, that's even more robust.

I'm still very happy with it. In fact, during each trip, I discover some new option or functionality. And the HD still rocks. Of course, the cameras described above beat mine for sure, since it's not even a SLR.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How is the sound recording on that camera, Bregt?
    I got me the Samsung WB550. It's is a wonderful little machine with HD video capacity as well, but what I found to my bitter disappointment (and which couldn't be found in any review) is that the stereo sound recording is of abysmal quality: it picks up my voice, but almost nothing from anything more than 40 centimeters away.

And of course there's no additional microphone jack.
    slant

Very disappointing.
    I really thought I'd found my photography and filming needs in one go here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    It's pretty good. I recorded a video of the Morricone concert and that was far away, but worked fine. It also filters out wind noise and works under water biggrin. There's no microphone jack.

Expect no wonders though. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    interchangeable lenses is a huge plus
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    interchangeable lenses is a huge plus

I'm really digging on the new M3/4 format cameras. Specially the rangefinder version from Olympus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and Beware of incompatibilities though wink

Haha! Cool!

BTW the previous pic was from a tissue stretch test. It's from the intervertebral disc. The black stuff is a stain we sprinkle on it.

Still some issues to be resolved. We need to get lighting that's overhead and not from the side of the sample. Light from the side accentuates the hills and valleys (surface unevenness) and makes it worse for image tracking.
    I've seen macro lens flash for the lighting but we need a steady light for video. I'll keep searching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    soff box/umbrella is the answer