• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    A purely technical thread, i doubt it will interest anyone else than Erik and me but i really hope it will and - oh what the heck wink

Erik, i wanted to ask you, how's your Panasonic keeping up with the HD market? Have you been using it enough, are you pleased with it? And what was the model no. again? wave

Also would you happen to know anything about portable external XLR mic adaptors? Specific brand and models if you've tested and experienced / heard about and such. I am looking for one for my SONY HD1000E 'cause sadly it doesn't have one. It has a stereo jack input onto which an otherwise very good shotgun microphone is installed, but i've found stuff like the BEATCHTEK DXA8 for instance that fits my stereo jack input and can give me 2 balanced xlr with phantom power.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    A purely technical thread, i doubt it will interest anyone else than Erik and me but i really hope it will and - oh what the heck wink

Erik, i wanted to ask you, how's your Panasonic keeping up with the HD market? Have you been using it enough, are you pleased with it? And what was the model no. again? wave

I haven't shot any HD at all. The Panasonic DVX-100 is a standard def 4:3 camera with 16:9 and 24p capabilities. I haven't had any demands for HD video since a lot of what I do is web based. Even that, most people still haven't made the switch to HD.

Christodoulides wrote
    Also would you happen to know anything about portable external XLR mic adaptors? Specific brand and models if you've tested and experienced / heard about and such. I am looking for one for my SONY HD1000E 'cause sadly it doesn't have one. It has a stereo jack input onto which an otherwise very good shotgun microphone is installed, but i've found stuff like the BEATCHTEK DXA8 for instance that fits my stereo jack input and can give me 2 balanced xlr with phantom power.

My Panasonic has internal XLR jacks. As did my BetaCam when working at Hudson's Bay Company. But what you posted above should do the trick. I used something similar with my Sony DVR-900 when shooting my low-budget movies 8 years ago and it worked like a charm. The best advice I can give you is to take it out for a test drive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote

Considering I'm a professional photographer, talking about still cameras would very much interest me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Considering I'm a professional photographer, talking about still cameras would very much interest me!

The kit you're carrying in your pic looks serious, what is it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Canon 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8 and Nikon D200 with a 300 f/2.8.

I was borrowing the Nikon, otherwise I would always go with Canon. Nikon has the better user interface, but Canon's color reproduction is far better. Canon's also typically deal with high ISO noise much better than Nikons.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote
    Canon 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8 and Nikon D200 with a 300 f/2.8.

I was borrowing the Nikon, otherwise I would always go with Canon. Nikon has the better user interface, but Canon's color reproduction is far better. Canon's also typically deal with high ISO noise much better than Nikons.

I use an old Nikon F65 but the best results I ever had were with my Cannon AE-1 which I bought wayyyyyy back in 1986 ( it was second hand too ), that camera travelled all over and around the world, it got wet, bashed and once even got dropped down a short hillside, I've never had to have it fiixed and it still works today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    That's the great thing about old film cameras. They can put up with a lot more abuse than digital cameras can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Curses, another misleading thread title. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    biggrin

And I don't think I can help this time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Curses, another misleading thread title. slant

"Talking" cameras cool

"girl hasn't taken bra off, are you sure you want take a picture yet master Steven?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have in film cameras an original Nikon F with a plain non metered prism. I have a 24mm 2.0, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.8 micro Nikkor, 105mm 2.5, 75-150mm series E (not as well made but really crisp). I've yet to see superior black and white digital photography to what this camera is capable of producing with TMax film and developer.

My digital system is a 40D Canon with a 15mm, 50mm 1.4, 300mm 2.8 (Tokina...slower focus but sharp and full of contrast and less than half the Canon). I also have a Tokina 19-35 which was given to me and is surprisingly good.

I have a Toyo Rail with a Red Dot Artar 8", Super Angulon 121mm, Fujinon 150mm.

I have a Kodak Wooden Portrait 8x10 with a 12" Commercial Ektar which produces the best images but is quite expensive to use today plus I have to drive quite a length to enlarge as I don't have an enlarger that big.

Before my stroke I spent 40 years in the photo business so I could tell you a lot of good and bad.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    sdtom wrote
    I have in film cameras an original Nikon F with a plain non metered prism. I have a 24mm 2.0, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.8 micro Nikkor, 105mm 2.5, 75-150mm series E (not as well made but really crisp). I've yet to see superior black and white digital photography to what this camera is capable of producing with TMax film and developer.

Film has such a unique look that you're absolutely right, it's impossible to get "that" look in digital. Although, with enough work in Photoshop, you can get some really nice black and white images, but you have to spend a lot of time working at it.

My digital system is a 40D Canon with a 15mm, 50mm 1.4, 300mm 2.8 (Tokina...slower focus but sharp and full of contrast and less than half the Canon). I also have a Tokina 19-35 which was given to me and is surprisingly good.

Is the Tonika tack sharp at 2.8 and not back focused? I've read some mixed things about the lens. I'm just a bit curious. I won't be getting one though since I would primarily use it to shoot sports where fast focus is a must.

I have a Toyo Rail with a Red Dot Artar 8", Super Angulon 121mm, Fujinon 150mm.

I have a Kodak Wooden Portrait 8x10 with a 12" Commercial Ektar which produces the best images but is quite expensive to use today plus I have to drive quite a length to enlarge as I don't have an enlarger that big.

Before my stroke I spent 40 years in the photo business so I could tell you a lot of good and bad.

Thomas smile

What exactly did you do if I may ask? I'm studying photojournalism right now, and freelance for several newspapers in the area as well as doing a bit of advertising photography on the side.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can go on for hours about the Panasonic CCTV cameras I sell...if...anyone's...interested... sleep biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For the last 20 years I was a store manager for a fairly large camera store in San Diego.

The Tokina serves me well as I use it for SDSU Aztec baseball photography. The AD is usually looking for a particular person so the focus isn't an issue. Since I have 60 or so games to work with I can spend time just doing a prefocus and wait. The second baseman, for example, could be my only assignment. I would photograph warm-up, batting cage, pepper, batting, running, fielding. I might have 3 or 400 shots which I turn over to him and he picks what he wants. It is acceptable quality at 2.8 for an 8x10 which is the maximum size they need. I like to shoot it at 2.8 to completely fuzz the background out plus speed and light are also a factor. If someone gave me $4000 I'd buy the Canon. Hmm thats 200 scores at 20 a piece.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Just wondering if any of you have used a macro lens for close-up photography.

We want to get a good digital camera that can be used for imaging polymers and tissues that are only about 1 inch x 1 inch in dimension. We narrowed down on the Canon 7D but we're trying to decide what sort of macro lens to use. I saw a demo of the Canon 100mm L series lens and it was great but pricey ($1k). There are cheaper brands for a 100mm lens (Tamron) at half the price. There's also a cheaper version of the Canon 100mm lens (EF) but I haven't been able to compare them all. Any ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr … delid=7325

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr … elid=17499

The pixel rating is high enough on the 50D and you certainly don't need highspeed frames per second. Get the best in the macro cause you're only buying it once. Greater than lifesize is a huge bonus.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks for the suggestions, Tom. The 50D has a max of 6 frames per sec, which is slow for our needs. We want to get about 20 fps since I will be doing image processing to track the motion of points in the sample which is being continuously deformed. The 7D seemed ideal because it is capable of doing 24 fps and 30 fps.

The 65mm lens looks cool. I need to look at which macro lens is ideal. It says that I have to get real close with the 65mm lens and that it needs a flash. I will be using the lens indoors on a table and I'm augmenting the lighting with fiber optic lights. I cannot get closer than 5-6 inches within the sample. Does that change things?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If it is for your work ask National Camera if you could test with the option to buy if it works out. No flash will work at 20FPS but I would think available light would work. Again, ask National Camera to have a Canon tech rep get in touch with you. Their job is to know all the answers. Take advantage of their resources. They might even have a sample you can try.

I think the 5 to 6 inches is ok as it is slightly telephoto (65mm).

Keep me posted
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Yes, it's for research work at school. I went to the downtown Minneapolis store of National Camera and got a demo of the 7D. I think I'll use your idea of asking a Canon rep to contact us. And yes, getting a sample to check on our test bench would be the best test.

Thanks!
  1. I'm sure a rep would be more than willing to demo what they have! A foot into any kind of institution would be very welcome for potential sales!

If you say you could be one of their quoteable contacts in the future you may get something cheap?!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    I am getting this babe here

http://www.plaisio.gr/Sound-Vision/Phot … 50K001.htm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Keep me posted at to how it works out
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am getting this babe here

http://www.plaisio.gr/Sound-Vision/Phot … 50K001.htm

Looks awesome!

About our camera needs... it turns out that we have an unused SLR camera and a macro lens that was purchased for a previous project. We have a Nikon D70s body with a Sigma EX 105mm 1:2.8D DG macro lens.
    The latter will do just fine for our needs. However the D70 is only for photos and not video.

We're now looking at a cheaper Canon EOS camera body to use the lens with. The Rebel EOS T1i seems very similar to the Canon 7D and is cheaper. We were unable to find a Nikon SLR camera that can shoot video at 20fps and is priced around $1k or less. This present a small problem that we have a Sigma lens that has a Nikon 'F' mount. And we want to use it on a Canon EOS. We'll have a to get a Nikon F lens to Canon EOS adapter. That will mean we can't use auto-focus and auto-aperture. But that's ok. We anyway wanted the manual mode only.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm sure a rep would be more than willing to demo what they have! A foot into any kind of institution would be very welcome for potential sales!

If you say you could be one of their quoteable contacts in the future you may get something cheap?!

That's a good point. But we're buying just one and it's just under $2k so I'm not sure if they'll think it worth. But I'll give it a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You have no idea how many times I've heard a similiar story from the SD Zoo, UCSD, SDSU, and on and on. Good luck on your project
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    You have no idea how many times I've heard a similiar story from the SD Zoo, UCSD, SDSU, and on and on. Good luck on your project

Yeah, tell me about it! It's either that we wait for a few months to get the good Canon camera and lenses from a grant that will come later. Or we try to use what we already have with little out-of-pocket cost and use it for experiments right away. I really want something quick since that will help me for an upcoming conference and papers. Tough decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just don't like Sigma. Yuk, yuk, and yuk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    I've seen decent reviews for Sigma lenses. The one we have has been reviewed well here for it's sharpness with manual focus.

Manual focus is all we care about.

But as another twist to the story, we found that a group member has the Canon Mark II at home! He's bringing it to school tomorrow so that will make things exciting.

It looks like we will get a good Canon EOS for now and use the Sigma lens on it. Later, when we have more money we'll get a Canon lens.
  2. Talking of cameras for work - and digressing slightly - I managed to swing it and bought an Olympus E-3. And to go with that I bought a Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 macro lens.

The instruction manual for the camera is particularly thick (and all in English!) and there are so many things that the camera can do that I just won't use!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I never liked converter adaptors either but you really have no money to work with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Talking of cameras for work - and digressing slightly - I managed to swing it and bought an Olympus E-3. And to go with that I bought a Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 macro lens.

The instruction manual for the camera is particularly thick (and all in English!) and there are so many things that the camera can do that I just won't use!

Do you have a good tripod, something critical for closeup work?