• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    This is to let all of you know that next month Intrada will be releasing something, yet to be announced but.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. News is speading, from the sound of things.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    <edit, hadn't better say that actually!>
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps they will accept a pre-order so it will sell out before its announced. Seems the way with Intrada these days.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    confused

The point of the thread mate was to point out the way Intrada is now doing business. A low quantity alert before its released.
    Thomas smile
  2. It's not the end of the world. Or even a serious challenge to the universe for that matter.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    confused

The point of the thread mate was to point out the way Intrada is now doing business. A low quantity alert before its released.
    Thomas smile

I am sorry i didn't understand they actually DID something like that? I am sorry but if it's like i understood it to be, i think it's absolutely disgusting rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the thing is if I had posted this thread on FSM oh boy. Its a way to sell product that I don't agree with just like my local market has buy three and get three free. I don't want (6) 2 liter bottles of soda for $.90 each but if you only buy one its double the price or $1.80.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I may be a bit dense, but I'm not sure I get it?
    I just perused Intrada's site, an I can't find anything on low quantity alerts for upcoming releases?
    Quite the contrary: the usual 3000 pressings are announced for all upcoming releases.
    Am I missing something?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I may be a bit dense, but I'm not sure I get it?
    I just perused Intrada's site, an I can't find anything on low quantity alerts for upcoming releases?
    Quite the contrary: the usual 3000 pressings are announced for all upcoming releases.
    Am I missing something?

He was joking, but I know what point he was making - because they sell so many in bulk to other retailers / speculators, there are very, very few copies available for people who want them. Invaders From Mars was limited to 1,200 copies and a "low quantity alert" was issued within minutes of the title's announcement - and one can only assume that this is because several companies / speculators were buying a hundred copies each. There aren't that many individuals who sit hitting refresh around the time of Intrada's announcements!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    AHHHHhh!
    OK, thanks James. I missed that particular episode.
    Hmmmm, that is an odd (though seemingly lucrative) way of doing business.

I'm not too worried about this trend though: the market for CDs seems to be crumbling so investing in them at this point seems VERY risky. I'm sure speculators who can't sell their copies for love or money will come to see that in the very near future.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You understand completely James! If I had posted this joking thread about Intrada on the Intrada or FSM messageboard the ' shit would hit the fan' scenario. People would be in a panic.

I was in retail a long time as you know and I watched a lot of "know it all" people come and go. I had a promo on a product one time for $14.95 (tripod I think) and there were 500 in stock a good amount for an ad. I had another retailer come in and want to buy all of them because the price was well below what he could buy them for. I refused to sell them to him pointing out a disclaimer in my ad limiting one per customer. He got angry and later called the owner of the store who of course called me upset I refused the deal. My answer was simple and direct. "I'd rather make 500 people happy" which I did and why the business flourished. I attracted a lot of new people interested in photography to the store as a result of good purchases I made to the store. To grow the hobby you need to attract new people.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the business with CD's will flourish for a time. Think about the LP?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    To grow the hobby you need to attract new people.

This is what the labels seem to have forgotten. The response to people like me and you who suggest they should consider doing things differently is always "but they're making lots of money doing it THIS way, so why should they change?" Of course, the reason they should change is that the opportunities for new people to "join in" the fun a lot of us have had at one time or another, of discovering fantastic older film music and composers by experimenting with releases, waiting to read reviews of things before carefully choosing what to spend our money on - people can't do that any more.

It will come back to bite them one day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I'm sure CDs will remain popular...I just don't think it's a good item to speculate with these days: it's just SO easy to get an excellent quality (illegal, to be sure) download that I can't see anyone but the most devoted fanatic (and there's preciously few left) goiung to eBay paying the insane prices these vultures command.

Case in point: there's a number of Delta Force copies on eBay, going at around $40 (which is still ridiculous, but WELL below the prices seen a couple of years ago for OOP scores). There's also a number of $80 - $90 ones, which have NO bids AT ALL at this point.
    CDs simply don't offer irreplacability any more. Not with copies and downloads being so easily available.

Incidentally, on the tripod story: kudos on your integrity, Tom! punk
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I'm not sure why everyone picks on Intrada these days. They actually make LESS money selling in bulk to retailers and speculators and whoever then selling direct to customers. Maybe they should do the Varese and not offer discounts to everyone then they can make more money? Would everyone be happy then? I like not having buy stuff from a CA store where i have to pay extra sales tax or paying from somewhere else with an extra 5 bucks on the title.

tj
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    I'm not sure why everyone picks on Intrada these days. They actually make LESS money selling in bulk to retailers and speculators and whoever then selling direct to customers. Maybe they should do the Varese and not offer discounts to everyone then they can make more money? Would everyone be happy then?

It would be a step in the right direction.

I think people pick on Intrada simply because they are the most high-profile. The same things happen to Varese titles but they are only released three or four times a year so it's not so continuous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Your logic TJ is what my owner thought at the time. Make one sale and the retailerwould likely have turned around and sold them for $29.95 (retail). I realize that this is a slightly different situation than my tripods (contracts etc) and what Roger and Douglass are doing is perfectly legal and I am talking about a good purchase but my reasoning in this attracts more people to the hobby. Now if the retailer buys it and resells it for retail I think that is fine but we know that isn't true unless your 'buddies' with another seller. This scenario being the case Intrada should become a wholesaler and just sell to dealers. When I was involved in the photo business Canon, as an example, would only sell direct to consumers at full list price. The reason was not to irritate their customers (me). Be a wholesaler then.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Short term money is the driving force ! Baseball in the US is thriving right now save one thing. It is not attracting the younger generation anymore. You need to bring new people into the hobby.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just posted this thread on FSM. Let the fur begin to fly!!
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I just don't see how it would attract more people to the hobby anyway, $20 a pop for a CD is more expensive than the average CD that the average joe schmo buys. Film music is a niche and always wil be. The people who get into it are most likely going to be noticing the music in the films themselves, experience film music live at a concert, or be an offspring of someone who is already a collector. I just don't buy it, especially when so many of the classic scores are available, and not in limited edition form, I don't see why it's intrada's sole responsibility to 'bring more people into collecting", though i'm sure they'd certainly like to have more customers rather than less.

everyone points the finger at Intrada, and I'm not really understanding why. Isn't it a GOOD thing that they finalyl are having some success in the limited market?

invaders from mars and scorpio are not superman and star trek the motion picture.

now if you want to complain about bringing fans in, how bout the fact that classics like raiders of the lost ark and the ten commandments and spartacus are out of print?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have no personal issues with Intrada at all. I'm sure I did a lot more in sales/profit than they do. In fact were it not for the stroke I'd not be on this board at all but hard at work.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    I just don't see how it would attract more people to the hobby anyway, $20 a pop for a CD is more expensive than the average CD that the average joe schmo buys. Film music is a niche and always wil be. The people who get into it are most likely going to be noticing the music in the films themselves, experience film music live at a concert, or be an offspring of someone who is already a collector. I just don't buy it, especially when so many of the classic scores are available, and not in limited edition form, I don't see why it's intrada's sole responsibility to 'bring more people into collecting", though i'm sure they'd certainly like to have more customers rather than less.

Absolutely, it's not their sole responsibility and nobody ever said it was; and indeed nobody even said it was their responsibility at all, it just seems like a sensible thing for any label to do.

When I got into it and was discovering great scores, I would read all the reviews, shop around for the cheapest price, and take a punt on things I thought there was a chance I would enjoy. It's how I discovered Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Bernard Herrmann, Alfred NEwman, Franz Waxman etc etc. This is no longer available to anyone - whenever a score is released, it sells out more quickly than any reviews appear. This is why the younger listeners today seem more closed-minded than ever before - it is simply so difficult for them to experience any film music other than that which is from current films, because the limited editions come and go so quickly and they don't have the chance to buy them. $20 doesn't seem that bad - regular CDs were $15 twenty years ago, so in real terms there's been no increase. But it's not the cost that's an issue - people just aren't going to take those chances that people like me were able to take. Unless CDs stick around long enough for people to really think about their purchase, then the more cautious purchasers (ie those who are setting out on their journey of film music discovery) will never get them. Where's tomorrow's Jerry Fielding fan going to come from? You can't buy any of his music - again - it all comes and goes within twelve hours. That's what we mean by being short-termist. Nobody can blame the labels for enjoying the paydays they are currently (presumably, completely unexpectedly) getting - but I doubt it will carry on for that much longer, and by making a few changes they might be able to set themselves up for a longer haul.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I get it James...

Unless CDs stick around long enough for people to really think about their purchase

But are there not COUNTLESS CDs, including limited ones, that ARE readily available but continue to not b purchased? Specifically the Film Score Monthly label.

I wish there was more of Broughton's MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET around..but there's not . Too bad. I'll settle for a CD-R.

It does seem that some titles were lowballed on demand, and that's fine...one title INVADERS FROM MARS, was INCREASED, but still sold out ridiculously fast. And people still blamed Intrada. Despite the fact that they increased the run so more people could buy it.

Jerry Fielding is an acquired taste and I have no idea where his fans are going to come from. All I have from him is his Star Trek stuff and some re-recordings from Silva Western sets. Thats enough for me. It's a bummer that some of those CDs couldn't sit around longer, but I bet if there was 3000 printed for all of those, many of them would be gathering dust for years. The labels aren't charities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    James, well well said my friend smile We're on the same page. I can remember reading reviews and if someone like you for example would really like it I'd take a chance.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But they should have some stock TJ! Right now this material is being treated like the Cabbage Patch Doll frenzy.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar

When I got into it and was discovering great scores, I would read all the reviews, shop around for the cheapest price, and take a punt on things I thought there was a chance I would enjoy. It's how I discovered Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Bernard Herrmann, Alfred NEwman, Franz Waxman etc etc.

Yeah, me too. Mostly. I didn't know Goldsmith outside of Star Trek before checking out the internet reviews. Still, I think pointing the finger at Intrada because they have been successful isn't really fair to them. They shouldn't feel guilty for moving this stuff, and if it means we get more titles, I think it's great, although i do sympathize with those who can't be at the internet at X hour or want to wait to read reviews and such....it's just not the way it's working right now, although I would be shocked if it doesn't go back that wya, people aren't made of money, are they? The upcoming months should be interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tjguitar wrote
    I just don't see how it would attract more people to the hobby anyway, $20 a pop for a CD is more expensive than the average CD that the average joe schmo buys.

But even as such, it is STILL there for someone to buy it if they want, not disappearing 'cause some whacko collector who won't even hear it bought it or because 3/4 of the stock went to retailers. What's so hard to understand?

And btw, you are talking ethics (no matter how correct you are) when it comes to labels and business in general? confused
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    But even as such, it is STILL there for someone to buy it if they want, not disappearing 'cause some whacko collector who won't even hear it bought it or because 3/4 of the stock went to retailers. What's so hard to understand?

Again, if they want to increase profits, they should not offer wholesale discounts, and then more people would uy directly from them, or they would make more on the # of units going to other retailers...but that would make a lot of fans who shop at other stores angry.

And if a whacko collector doesn't hear it, that's not my problem. It sucks if it's a title I want, but people can spend htere money however they wish, provided, it is not illegal. And I don't think it's immoral to buy a CD you don't listen to, no, though I would certainly consider it a waste of my money.

I don't know that we are talking ethics, but if we are, I don't see how Intrada is being unethical....