• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    But even as such, it is STILL there for someone to buy it if they want, not disappearing 'cause some whacko collector who won't even hear it bought it or because 3/4 of the stock went to retailers. What's so hard to understand?

Again, if they want to increase profits, they should not offer wholesale discounts, and then more people would uy directly from them, or they would make more on the # of units going to other retailers...but that would make a lot of fans who shop at other stores angry.

And if a whacko collector doesn't hear it, that's not my problem. It sucks if it's a title I want, but people can spend htere money however they wish, provided, it is not illegal. And I don't think it's immoral to buy a CD you don't listen to, no, though I would certainly consider it a waste of my money.

I don't know that we are talking ethics, but if we are, I don't see how Intrada is being unethical....

Then make more copies. But if way more copies are available so that it's a normal release and not labeled as "limited" the whackos aren't going to hawk in and buy it all at once will they?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If Intrada bumped the price up to $24.95 from $19.95 what would happen? People bought the FSM set because they felt it was a good deal. At $199.95 (like the price of the Bernstein box) I think it would still be in stock.

It is not illegal to buy something you never listen to. People buy stamps all the time and collect them, the post office depends on that.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    If Intrada bumped up the price to 24.95, I think more collectors would buy, but less listeners. I don't think raising prices is the answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tjguitar wrote
    If Intrada bumped up the price to 24.95, I think more collectors would buy, but less listeners. I don't think raising prices is the answer.

What about :

Christodoulides wrote
    Then make more copies. But if way more copies are available so that it's a normal release and not labeled as "limited" the whackos aren't going to hawk in and buy it all at once will they?
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited

If they could, don't you think they would?

They release the number they are contractually obliged to based on statistics of prior sales, anticipated demand, etc.

and they DID increase invaders from mars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I've said all I need to on my feelings on this matter (and for the third time TJ, I'm not singling out Intrada!) so do feel I ought to balance it out with the other side of the coin, which is that despite me taking the moral high ground on internet messageboards, that's infinitely more easy to do than actually doing anything in real life. If it was my money at risk then I guess I'd do exactly the same as Intrada are doing - after all, they've survived for 25 years just by releasing film score albums, which is something only one other label has managed, and I have all the respect in the world for them for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    They release the number they are contractually obliged to based on statistics of prior sales, anticipated demand, etc.

OK, one more point, since I haven't made it before in this thread... I just don't believe that statement to be true. I think it was true once, before Varese stumbled across the fact that they could sell anything out in a few hours if they released only a thousand copies. Nowadays I think the labels release something in precisely the quantity they think will sell out instantly. If it lasts more than a week, they're not interested. Only FSM seemed to be bucking that trend... and now even they've changed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    With the repeated instant sell-out of stuff that actually wasn't that big of a deal just because it was labeled as "limited edition" i wouldn't believe that either; no way.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I just don't believe that statement to be true.

I don't think we'll ever know.

I have a hard time believing they only want to release stuff that will sell out in a week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    When I was beginning my collecting all LP's were available.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!