• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Hollywood has a template for doing mostfilms.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    That is a clear lift-off from a HGW 2004 score and another one of those scores that want film music rock-oriented, meaninglessly loud, blatant, completely unmelodic and built on guitar riffs and bass. I can't understand your point.

You are wrong. Man on Fire and Death Race both rip from Nine Inch Nail's The Fragile album, specifically the track, "The Mark Has Been Made". It's an immensely creative and influential album despite what you would limit yourself to believe.

Geesh! You can be such an intellectual snob. Please keep on trying to reason why the music you don't like is wrong.

Have a little perspective. The Rock sound is far from dead. It's alive. It's been evolving and symbiotically melding into other pop forms, from Hip Hop R&B to Trance and Dance and Techno. But I'm sure that's not what you're trying to say. rolleyes

But whatever. Variety is the spice of life and I still hear the diversity in the music scores being attached to current movies. Seems like this thread is just a basic fuck you to everything Hans Zimmer related but dressed in pseudo intellectual snobbery and blind bias.

Why does this discussion allows only the big block busters? Why not mention the excellent work Hans and crew have done with the dramatic scores or the animation scores? Because it doesn't figure into the current shitty state of film music that Hans Zimmer and his legion have managed to imposed upon our aural consciousness?

What kind of music do you want Death Race to have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Why does this discussion allows only the big block busters? Why not mention the excellent work Hans and crew have done with the dramatic scores or the animation scores? Because it doesn't figure into the current shitty state of film music that Hans Zimmer and his legion have managed to imposed upon our aural consciousness?

No, it figures right into it, sadly. The advantage is that those films are generally not the ones I want to watch so it doesn't bother me so much.

You talk about intellectual snobbery but I've been pretty straight-out throughout that I don't like the Zimmer way of scoring films and unfortunately that way has become extremely common. There's nothing snobbish about it - it's the reason I think the current state of film music is poor, which is what this thread is about.

It seems if you criticise Zimmer with a throwaway line, you get criticised here for being a Zimmer-basher, and if you criticise him with more drawn-out explanations, you get criticised for being an intellectual snob. Doesn't it occur to you that some people just don't like his music, his way of working? It's just not to their tastes. I don't get all defensive at people who don't like Jerry Goldsmith or John Williams, and it's hard to understand why people get so defensive about Zimmer. I don't like his stuff, you do, I've given pretty lengthy reasons for my dislike, and all I get in return is abuse. Can't you just either give your reasons for liking him, or if that's not possible/something you want to do, leave it alone? Why does every discussion about Hans Zimmer have to get dragged into the gutter by his apologists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think a discussion like this is predominantly focused on the big block busters because these are the films that most people see, these are the films that are going to influence a wider audience and these are the films that are probably best representing the "current state" of film music?

Perhaps if you go back through the decades you will see that the big block busters had some truly great scores written for them? It seems to me these days that the big block busters are getting scores that are either serviceable at best or take a unique approach which doesn't necessarily lend itself to being great music (which of course is not the main aim of film music, but it's certainly nice when a score sounds good for us score fans!)

I dunno, perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    You talk about intellectual snobbery but I've been pretty straight-out throughout that I don't like the Zimmer way of scoring films and unfortunately that way has become extremely common. There's nothing snobbish about it - it's the reason I think the current state of film music is poor, which is what this thread is about.

If Hans Zimmer had not used additional arrangers in his scores Kevin Kiner would have written a Star Wars score like John Williams? confused
  1. If you love something, you always do because of a certain level of positive emotions it evokes. One can go so far to try to find out why one loves a specific score, but in the end, even orchestral complexity and carefully composed themes and melodies are just a technical description of a style. You never love a score because of those technical properties, but because of the emotions they evoke. You love a complex score because it evokes a specific kind of feelings in you.

How hard is it to understand that a Zimmer clone composition, like, for example, Transformers, can evoke emotions, too, based on totally different personal taste and preferences?

Let me stray a bit away: If I watch the olympics and see a beautiful girl jumping and dancing and flying through the air, I can´t feel anything else than an utter awe about the beauty of it. Then some jury tells me that this was rubbish and that the girl has managed last place only. And I think they are mad.

What I want to say is: If I like a score based on the emotions it evokes in me, I´m not interesting in technicalities. I don´t care if the score has a simple orchestration. If it feels good in my stomach, I like it. And that´s how Zimmer works for me (despite the fact that, personally, I would never define his music as simple).

People who love Zimmer love his music for the same reason lovers of the Golden Age love the Golden Age: It´s taste and emotion, folks, nothing else. We all love our music out of the very same, simple beatings of our hearts. Why is it necessary to define the frequency?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Let me stray a bit away: If I watch the olympics and see a beautiful girl jumping and dancing and flying through the air, I can´t feel anything else than an utter awe about the beauty of it. Then some jury tells me that this was rubbish and that the girl has managed last place only. And I think they are mad.

What I want to say is: If I like a score based on the emotions it evokes in me, I´m not interesting in technicalities. I don´t care if the score has a simple orchestration. If it feels good in my stomach, I like it. And that´s how Zimmer works for me (despite the fact that, personally, I would never define his music as simple).

People who love Zimmer love his music for the same reason lovers of the Golden Age love the Golden Age: It´s taste and emotion, folks, nothing else. We all love our music out of the very same, simple beatings of our hearts. Why is it necessary to define the frequency?

Says what I feel exactly wink As a matter of fact, I love both Zimmer and Golden Age scores, but I enjoy both in different ways. It's all up to taste, as said. I'm very happy listening to even the most generic MV score than the (IMO) utter rubbish that my friends out here find cool!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Says what I feel exactly wink As a matter of fact, I love both Zimmer and Golden Age scores, but I enjoy both in different ways. It's all up to taste, as said. I'm very happy listening to even the most generic MV score than the (IMO) utter rubbish that my friends out here find cool!

Out of interest, what do your friends find cool? It's been a long time since I went to India ( 1989 ), then, everyone seemed to be into Michael Jackson!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You should just forget the whole idea of 'cool' in its social sense. The day you start worrying about being 'cool' is the day you aren't. I know, it's a paradox...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Out of interest, what do your friends find cool? It's been a long time since I went to India ( 1989 ), then, everyone seemed to be into Michael Jackson!?

90% of them listen to the generic Bollywood rubbish which comes out like everyday. Full rip-offs of Western music, unashamed plaigarism, unoriginal tunes and catchy tunes with incredibly dumb lyrics. Actually, the music and lyrics seem so unoriginal to me that I sometimes can't distinguish one song from the other! Only about 1% of the stuff is actually worth listening. Just my views wink

Some of them listen to mainstream artistes like Avril Lavagne, Carrie Underwood, Backstreet Boys, Metallica, Linkin Park etc which I also occassionally listen to and so I don't have much problem.

BTW, 1989 is the year I was born! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    You should just forget the whole idea of 'cool' in its social sense. The day you start worrying about being 'cool' is the day you aren't. I know, it's a paradox...

Exactly!! biggrin beer

I wish more people had the sense to understand that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    DemonStar wrote
    As a matter of fact, I love both Zimmer and Golden Age scores, but I enjoy both in different ways.

Exactly. This morning I listened to Silva´s "Warriors of the Silver Screen" sampler and ordered the EL CID box, currently I´m listening to From Hell, and I think I´m in the mood for some serious MV shit after that. Maybe I´ll turn on the iTunes samples from Iron Man. I need a serious beating.

Of my speakers, I mean.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

90% of them listen to the generic Bollywood rubbish which comes out like everyday. Full rip-offs of Western music, unashamed plaigarism, unoriginal tunes and catchy tunes with incredibly dumb lyrics. Actually, the music and lyrics seem so unoriginal to me that I sometimes can't distinguish one song from the other! Only about 1% of the stuff is actually worth listening.

Some of them listen to mainstream artistes like Avril Lavagne, Carrie Underwood, Backstreet Boys, Metallica, Linkin Park etc which I also occassionally listen to and so I don't have much problem.

BTW, 1989 is the year I was born! biggrin

Yeah, I remember hearing Bollywood tunes that were rips of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It', 'Billie Jean' etc amongst many more.

p.s. I like Metallica
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lp,

I was going to answer and respond logically on all the points you made; but then i figured the following:

1) You're too stubborn and arguing with you (as it's been proven in the past with other members that tried / still try to reason you out) will go nowhere as you insist to repeat the same arguments all over and over again without even trying to consider what others are saying to you, or even respond and contradict on the specific points others make to you; you just reply in a "whatever" kind of way and continue banging your own selfish tree.

2) Obviously you're an uncivilized immature teenage fuck that if not true and you're indeed an adult then you're obviously a terribly immature person who has problems with fitting in with society in a reasonable, grown-up, civilized and harmonized way. I talked to you and debated with you with all the good intentions, and GOOD MANNERS but in your planet nothing like that seems to apply

3) You are obviously terribly illiterate musically 'cause if you think that rock is leading everything today you're either that or deaf (which i know you aren't obviously) or have been living in a hole for the past years. Tv's around you, media, hit songs r'n'b and pop culture is all around you too and Rihanna's umbrella is nearing your ass dangerously but all you hear is electric guitars. And no similarities between DEATH RACE's main titles and the track from man on fire? That's terribly stupid of you and i'd not call my experience as a working musician / musicologist to contradict you 'cause even a dumb child can listen they're the same; i won't even go into discussing with you on "how did you want a film like DEATH RACE to sound" 'cause it's a waste of powers and time.

4) You're a nobody to me, no name, no origin, no age, no nothing but the same repeated childish arguments and lack of logical behavior or reply in a sane matter everytime someone answers to you; as i said you continue banging your own thread. The fact that you continue to hide who the fuck you are makes you even more ridiculous in my eyes. Hiding behind the keyboard and screen? THe most common traits between all people full of complexes.

5) This is the last time i'll address you, if you can't accept that society around you doesn't always spin in your kind of ways and that people can be DIFFERENT with you and you can't accept them, it's you who has serious issues. Either you can go fudge and find a place that suits your needs and style or just ignore me / us, as i will with you]

6) I have more serious and valuable stuff to do in my life with my work, family, friends (many dear of them in this forum as well), loved ones and colleagues than deal with a stubborn prick.

Ta-ta
    D
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If you love something, you always do because of a certain level of positive emotions it evokes. One can go so far to try to find out why one loves a specific score, but in the end, even orchestral complexity and carefully composed themes and melodies are just a technical description of a style. You never love a score because of those technical properties, but because of the emotions they evoke. You love a complex score because it evokes a specific kind of feelings in you.

How hard is it to understand that a Zimmer clone composition, like, for example, Transformers, can evoke emotions, too, based on totally different personal taste and preferences?

This is all absolutely right. I know what I like, you know what you like, and they may be different but there's a place for everything.
  2. Yeah, I agree with Ravi and Ralph. I mean I can enjoy Transformers (yes, I can), The New World, Psycho, Gladiator and Star Trek: The Motion Picture at the same time!

I can also hate Iron Man biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with them as well, completely logical arguments. But they have to equally accept and respect others' differences on the subject matter.
  3. Of course, and I do!

I think that the problem is that producers and directors are simply AFRAID of good music in Hollywood.

They never were in Europe!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    But they have to equally accept and respect others' differences on the subject matter.

I always do! biggrin

PawelStroinski wrote
    I can also hate Iron Man biggrin

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is there a list of all the major score releases from this year? (And past years.) That would at least help me to decide whether general quality is declining (which is my hunch).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Is there a list of all the major score releases from this year? (And past years.) That would at least help me to decide whether general quality is declining (which is my hunch).

I'm sure there was one at FSM or Movie Music? I'd appreciate it too, perhaps as a 'sticky' post, one that we can all use for reference.

I'd love to see a permanent list here of old to modern scores, something that ALL of us can reference.

Anyone have or know of an idea of how to make this so?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    1... Bottle Shock was a picture that had as part of the target market my age group. It had a lovely theme. http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/b … ark-adler/

2...Dark Knight never had my age group in mind though I found the film to be above average and the score ok.

3...I could listen to She all day over and over and over.

4...I'll likely never listen to Dark Knight ever again.

5...You would have to prove to Hollywood as a group that they are losing additional revenue because of their choices in film music.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Uh, Demetris, I've never told you this, but your lists of points have always seemed to me more likely to be a red rag to a bull than any serious conversation resolver. They have a hint of "I'm a moderator, so don't you talk this way to me", which probably isn't going to be good for people speaking their mind in the long run.

To LP, as Southall says, at the core of most complaints is a genuine sense of dissatisfaction. We may try to find reasons for our dissatisfaction, and those reasons may sound like snobbery, but consider that the dissatisfaction is as genuine a feeling as your satisfaction, and it would not seem like snobbery if you were not satisfied with the state of affairs.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lp,

I was going to answer and respond logically on all the points you made; but then i figured the following:

I thought you had already answered me above? I'll respond to your accusations and then forget that you exist in this thread.

Christodoulides wrote
    1) You're too stubborn and arguing with you (as it's been proven in the past with other members that tried / still try to reason you out) will go nowhere as you insist to repeat the same arguments all over and over again without even trying to consider what others are saying to you, or even respond and contradict on the specific points others make to you; you just reply in a "whatever" kind of way and continue banging your own selfish tree.

Please, do have some perspective. I repeat my arguments and my foolish rantings because you keep reiterating yours. Honestly, have you changed your tunes based on what other have said?

Christodoulides wrote
    2) Obviously you're an uncivilized immature teenage fuck that if not true and you're indeed an adult then you're obviously a terribly immature person who has problems with fitting in with society in a reasonable, grown-up, civilized and harmonized way. I talked to you and debated with you with all the good intentions, and GOOD MANNERS but in your planet nothing like that seems to apply

Yes, call me name as well, Mr. Pot.

Christodoulides wrote
    3) You are obviously terribly illiterate musically 'cause if you think that rock is leading everything today you're either that or deaf (which i know you aren't obviously) or have been living in a hole for the past years. Tv's around you, media, hit songs r'n'b and pop culture is all around you too and Rihanna's umbrella is nearing your ass dangerously but all you hear is electric guitars. And no similarities between DEATH RACE's main titles and the track from man on fire? That's terribly stupid of you and i'd not call my experience as a working musician / musicologist to contradict you 'cause even a dumb child can listen they're the same; i won't even go into discussing with you on "how did you want a film like DEATH RACE to sound" 'cause it's a waste of powers and time.

Thank you for proving my point again about your closed-mindedness. If you had actually read what I was saying, you would know that no where was I saying that rock is leading anything. Rock is blending in, just like other genres are cross breeding as artists are trying to find new sounds and a new starting point. Your example of Man on Fire and Death Race are only meant to prove that other genres having been assimilating the soundtrack domain. Sure. that Death Race cue is very similar to the MOF cue in guitar riffs and percussive approach, but why should I care about that when I know they're both copying the same source, NIN's "The Mark Has Been Made"? Why does me knowing the distinction between different genre of rock equals ignorance of pop culture? Does my enjoyment of Bossa Nova means I'm clueless toward other aspect of Latin Culture? Or does having a degree in a certain field automatically enables pretentiousness? My question is, does any of this make you a better person than the other person you're arguing about?

Pardon this detour.

Christodoulides wrote
    4) You're a nobody to me, no name, no origin, no age, no nothing but the same repeated childish arguments and lack of logical behavior or reply in a sane matter everytime someone answers to you; as i said you continue banging your own thread. The fact that you continue to hide who the fuck you are makes you even more ridiculous in my eyes. Hiding behind the keyboard and screen? THe most common traits between all people full of complexes.

All right!!! More insults. Really mature too. Must one have an online identity to exist? Perhaps I'll tout my long musical history and ethnic backgrounds to validate my worth on an online forum. Thank you for showing me your true colors.

Christodoulides wrote
    5) This is the last time i'll address you, if you can't accept that society around you doesn't always spin in your kind of ways and that people can be DIFFERENT with you and you can't accept them, it's you who has serious issues. Either you can go fudge and find a place that suits your needs and style or just ignore me / us, as i will with you]

I really wish there was an Ignore button on this forum.

Christodoulides wrote
    6) I have more serious and valuable stuff to do in my life with my work, family, friends (many dear of them in this forum as well), loved ones and colleagues than deal with a stubborn prick.

Ta-ta
    D

Yes, because all I do spend all my days on this forum trying to write long winded diatribe and put downs in a lame effort to justify some stupid sense of superiority against another individual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Uh, Demetris, I've never told you this, but your lists of points have always seemed to me more likely to be a red rag to a bull than any serious conversation resolver. They have a hint of "I'm a moderator, so don't you talk this way to me", which probably isn't going to be good for people speaking their mind in the long run.

To LP, as Southall says, at the core of most complaints is a genuine sense of dissatisfaction. We may try to find reasons for our dissatisfaction, and those reasons may sound like snobbery, but consider that the dissatisfaction is as genuine a feeling as your satisfaction, and it would not seem like snobbery if you were not satisfied with the state of affairs.

I do agree that it's not the same as it was when I first started collecting scores in the early 90s. I remember how different things became once Bad Boys and Crimson Tide and The Rock started to permeate the mainstream consciousness. I think Hans' style does have both its negative and positive, though I don't blame him for what is happening to the industry like some people do. But the past wasn't perfect either. I don't think 45% of the musical scores in the past worked that well anyway, since they seem to just exist as music only. Music that said..." Hay everybody! I'm music! and I'm trying to stand out and say that I was written by a great composer and I'm great by default!".

The music that people really do have a problem with weren't created by Hans but by his disciples using the little Zimmerisms and expanding on such "-isms"(i.e. NGW's The Replacement Killers and NGS's The Man In The Iron Mask), and by composers who found that they could get job if they can do/imitate what the MV/RC people can do. It's the self-perpetuating machine, but it's ridiculous to keep on going back to the source to place blame. But I guess there's nothing else to do now but reiterate ad nauseum.

What Hans is good at is writing music that works really well for its intended job. His music always have some melody to work from, no matter how "simple" one thinks it might be. I'm a strong believer in having function with form, not the other way around. Ten years ago, I would have believed otherwise. And it should generate some emotional response from the listener for the scene of the particular movie, and Hans does do that extremely well, IMHO.

I don't think every blockbuster score sounds like a product of Hans', even though I can hear that it's been written in the same style (10,000 B.C, please shut up). They're different in their own way, no matter how banal it may be. But after a while it gets mundane and watered down (this is something I'm sure no one wants) and that's definitely not what I want.

Lastly, I do think "snob" can be too harsh of a word to ascribe to someone who might be too sensitive to such a term. And for that, c'est la vie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Uh, Demetris, I've never told you this, but your lists of points have always seemed to me more likely to be a red rag to a bull than any serious conversation resolver. They have a hint of "I'm a moderator, so don't you talk this way to me", which probably isn't going to be good for people speaking their mind in the long run.

To someone who wants to isolate facts, then yes i guess it would appear so. But for anyone who has known me and / or talked with me before in a civilized matter and not jumping down my throat with insults FIRST with absolutely no excuse and while i talked civilized and mature with them in the past, i am confident it wouldn't.

Especially if you have monitored my behavior to others throughout each and every topic or the way i moderate the forum. If somebody (or you for the matter of fact) wants to copy-paste publicly a point where i jumped down anyone's throat for talking their mind or insulted anyone first and unprovoked for, or a place where i showcased the arrogance you hint before, please be my guest i'd most certainly want to know that.

As i said, it's a matter of putting things into perspective, why i said what i said, when and how and the last person i'd expect to isolate the event down as such, is you to tell you the truth and for all the reasons you know too.

But things are getting off-topic tremendously and i this thread is not about me, after all I am off to work.

Good day, wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Must one have an online identity to exist? Perhaps I'll tout my long musical history and ethnic backgrounds to validate my worth on an online forum

I don't want to get involved in this little scrap here, honestly I don't really care, but I think a name, a little biographical information or indeed a photo never goes amiss with an 'online community' as this one. It helps to form at least some kind of relationship and it helps to remind you you're not talking to a machine, a few letters on a computer screen. If I am to have an online discussion about the things I love, then I would at least like to know something about that person I am discussing with, just a little bit of info goes a long way. My favourite forum members here are the ones I know a fair amount about, at least as far as an online friendships goes.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you don't, conversations won't just cease to happen just because you've given no information about yourself and of course you won't suddenly be ignored, though it will help in those discussions in the long run I think.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should and that it's required of you, doesn't make a difference to me either way. I'm just making a point about 'online identities', as you put it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Must one have an online identity to exist? Perhaps I'll tout my long musical history and ethnic backgrounds to validate my worth on an online forum

I don't want to get involved in this little scrap here, honestly I don't really care, but I think a name, a little biographical information or indeed a photo never goes amiss with an 'online community' as this one. It helps to form at least some kind of relationship and it helps to remind you you're not talking to a machine, a few letters on a computer screen. If I am to have an online discussion about the things I love, then I would at least like to know something about that person I am discussing with, just a little bit of info goes a long way. My favourite forum members here are the ones I know a fair amount about, at least as far as an online friendships goes.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you don't, conversations won't just cease to happen just because you've given no information about yourself and of course you won't suddenly be ignored, though it will help in those discussions in the long run I think.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should and that it's required of you, doesn't make a difference to me either way. I'm just making a point about 'online identities', as you put it.

You know Steven, you show an awful lot of maturity, not just in this thread either, if I didn't know better I'd put you at 30's - 40's in age.

There's a big part of me that wishes I wasn't so stupid when I was the same age as you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cheers! beer

Don't be fooled by it though, I can be very immature at times! silly biggrin (Duality and ambiguity on a Shakespearean level! dizzy )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Cheers! beer

Don't be fooled by it though, I can be very immature at times! silly biggrin (Duality and ambiguity on a Shakespearean level! dizzy )

biggrin

Believe me, getting older is no guarantee of wisdom. dizzy silly <-another excuse to use this icon cheesy