• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    omaha wrote

And those who only listen to the new stuff... do you bother to venture to the past and hear some of the older stuff?

That seems to be the main problem of many young people; that and the fact that they feel under personal attack everytime someone expresses general displeasure against something they like. I'd really like to see some logical, mature debate with actual arguments trying to prove the other wrong instead of "shut up you Zimmer basher"-isms this board seems to suffer from lately.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Here is one example:

Zimmer is inclined to uses a lot of block chords, a lot.

And this is called "musically uninteresting" and "technically underachieved".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    elenewton wrote

No, this is called "your opinion" (which is ok if you think so).
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Current filmmusic is more vital and diverse than the 1940-80 scores. There are these days a lot of young composers who experiment with electronic,jazz,soul, worldmusic etc. There is more adventure these days, that's also the reason why filmmusic has become very popular. Filmmmusic has broken with 'the classical music' genre. The traditional epic approaches of the past are also renewed by people like Hans Zimmer who have defined a new epic sound in cinema. By this I'm not gonna deny the enormous influence (and quality) of some classic themes of famous composer. But the statement 'that the old days were beter' is a disease in music-criticism. I'm a positivist thinker who sees evolution in everything. You could say that filmmusic these days is different but certainly not worse.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    Christoph wrote
    Current filmmusic is more vital and diverse than the 1940-80 scores. There are these days a lot of young composers who experiment with electronic,jazz,soul, worldmusic etc. There is more adventure these days, that's also the reason why filmmusic has become very popular. Filmmmusic has broken with 'the classical music' genre. The traditional epic approaches of the past are also renewed by people like Hans Zimmer who have defined a new epic sound in cinema. By this I'm not gonna deny the enormous influence (and quality) of some classic themes of famous composer. But the statement 'that the old days were beter' is a disease in music-criticism. I'm a positivist thinker who sees evolution in everything. You could say that filmmusic these days is different but certainly not worse.

I can say that it doesn't interest me anywhere near as much as it used to, at least as far as mainstream scoring goes it was far more interesting 10, 15 - 20 years ago. Action films, for example, are no more dumber now than they were then but the main difference now is that the composer has no breathing space to compose something with more integrity due to wall-to-wall action that requires big noisy scores to compete with big noisy action sequences.

"there is more adventure these days"? Nonsense! Film composers have been using electronics, jazz, soul, blues for as long as I can remember. As for world music you can thank a non-film score composer for that....Peter Gabriel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I do agree with Timmer. Today composers are using many genres, but before a composer was really like a genre. A Jerry Goldsmith score was different than a Bernard Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein or John Williams score. Today everybody screams temp-track. And the fact that one score (from say Djawadi) is heavy metal, the other one orchestral doesn't in the end mean anything.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Coherence, refinery, self-restraint and focus. Think about these qualities; if you think the majority of Hollywood's film music outcome of our days truly holds them, then i will happily hear further arguments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll settle for something I can whistle.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Each generation gets involved with a certain style of music unless they choose to go back in time. Can you imagine what Steiner thought when he heard Cobweb? Yikes.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Thomas wrote
    elenewton wrote

No, this is called "your opinion" (which is ok if you think so).

Unfortunately it's not "my" opinion. Read any Music Theory book and they'd tell you block chords are BAD and should be avoided.
  2. What is exactly a block chord?
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What is exactly a block chord?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_chord

Google is your friend.
  3. The article doesn't say why is it seen as a mistake.

I guess the block chord writing refers mostly to his string writing? He seems to quit it recently, using it only at times, quite brilliantly in one Da Vinci Code track, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nonsense, there's not such a thing as a "mistake" in music. Even the "deadly sins" of parallel 5ths and 8ths or the chords with 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th that were to be solved obligatorily a semitone down, don't always apply anymore, especially a "block chord".

Yes, there are things which are way easier to do than others and save lots of time and effort for a lazy musician / composer and set them apart from the genius musicality of someone like Goldenthal for example but there's not such a thing as a "mistake". You can say one's music is musically too simple and thick on arrangements or you can say it goes with poor orchestration and limited chord scope or restricted melodic development as it usually follows the rock guitar riff translated for orchestra philosophy but a "mistake"? uh-uh, not good enough wink Saying that is like automatically cancelling lots of musical genres that are built on such approach, such as rock music or even pre-Baroque polyphony (Palestrina etc).
  4. OK, but why is it commonly seen as being bad?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause it probably hints poor musicianship for most, although i disagree personally. Good music isn't necessarily defined by complexity.
  5. the wikipedia article referred to its use in jazz, so it can be pretty complex. And Copland used parallel fifths a lot to define his American sound, so I guess anyway today Music Theory and complexity is going to the toilet in some way, isn't it? You just use what you need at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    In the toilet, no, never. No matter what you do you always resort to the basics when you reach a dead-end or don't know what to do. The basic rules always apply 'cause this is where ALL the tonal music is built upon. But constantly altered and evolved in order to satisfy the needs and specific characteristics of new musical styles, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Both of you need to start a sticky thread and explain to all what you're talking about.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote
    Both of you need to start a sticky thread and explain to all what you're talking about.
    Thomas smile

Atonal music in the toilet by the looks of things. wink
  6. I don't think so. Demetris will say more about the recent trends, but yes. Neotonal music (it's not the classical harmony) is quite popular today, due to composers like Gorecki, Part, Tavener, but there are some avant-garde writers, or at least atonal, like Goldenthal and Davis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goldenthal and Davis aren't atonal composers. Their writing is is primarily within the tonal range and harmony but they use tremendously altered chords, augmented, diminished and atonal playing techniques that are mostly related with the reproduced sound and not so much on the atonal theory itself.

Atonal music per se, as in serialism and 12-note is quickly going out the window apparently, THANK GOD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also, NEOTONAL is based on the modal writing of the Renaissance. It's new but as far as its theory is concerned, not ENTIRELY new. It also lends from Byzantine chants / music and the music of the Middle-east as far as the modes used and general philosophy behind the melodic treatment and the use of isocrates as well as the musical intervals.
  7. Yes, Part and Tavener are heavily inspired by Byzantine/Orthodox music, they even are/were Orthodox at a point of their life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    confused confused confused
    Thomas smile
  8. I guess I can at least expand on the problem of sound of Middle East and stuff.

Demetris, please correct me where I'm wrong, because I read it a long time ago on wikipedia, so you know biggrin

The Western sound is generally based on half-tones. Using the special unit that is called cent, each octave has 1200 cents. The unit is logarithmic, which is quite important regarding the curve that represents the difference between the sounds. (It's all on this wikipedia article. A half tone has 100 cents, in the Western scale, referred to as Pythagorean (Pythagorean school was responsible for a lot of musical researches in the question of tone and sound) and equally-tempered. That's what we know.

The problem is that we can see Eastern music as rather dissonant and odd to us, because the traditional Arabic scale uses less cents to define its sounds than we do in Western music. Traditional Arabic scale, called maqam, uses for example 24 equal tones (50 cents between each and it's called a quartertone) and has a lot of qualities referred to as microtonal, this term is used because it's smaller than a half-tone.

Byzantine scale also uses irregular tones and the chants may be regarded as odd to some.

But I guess that's a bit off-topic, sorry biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Byzantine music is based on pretty similar stuff to that mentioned above. The article is correct (although just a summary of an otherwise really complex area) and it's all based on intervals that are way, way smaller than the corresponding smaller interval of western music which is the semitone. Usually conducted by vocalists with very impressive musicianship and vocal skills, you'll hear glissandi in notes that are only half or one Hz different, i.e. merely discernible.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Atonal music per se, as in serialism and 12-note is quickly going out the window apparently, THANK GOD.

I for one hope atonality stays with us for a very long time. Film music has benefited mightily from its sense of randomness. THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3, Goldsmith's PLANET OF THE APES, Fielding's THE MECHANIC, and more recently ZODAIC and ENDURING LOVE are among the many great film music moments we wouldn't have had without Schoenberg/Boulez.

(From Goldenthal, 'Toccata and Dreamscapes' from FINAL FANTASY has some atonal sections. But yes, primarily he's not atonal - he's more what they seem to calling post-Romantic like his mentor John Corigliano.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Michael, do you really think that the average listener can really get into and understand this type of music? I still believe they are a lot more comfortable with the 'war horses'
    Thomas smile
  10. sdtom wrote
    Michael, do you really think that the average listener can really get into and understand this type of music? I still believe they are a lot more comfortable with the 'war horses'
    Thomas smile

I think it has a part to play, in modern concert hall composition, and in modern film music. The former, because it involves superb musicianship and can be gripping to witness, the latter, because even if you find the music inaccessible there is no denying to carries dramatic associations that are very useful for the film composer.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am