• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. While his arguments not necessarily always speak to me, but Freud's idea that society and culture is there to tame our biological instincts in a way (look how certain physiological behaviors have been "cultured", in fact if you seriously look at it - the only physiological action we don't have to pay for basically is breathing!).

Also, you might be interested in how a sociologist called Norbert Elias looks at it, though his theory might be controversial. What he says is that while in animals social changes are biologically induced, in human beings evolution stopped and social development started. While this point might be dodgy (we're not biologically evolving *anymore*? How can you prove that really?), the fact that our culture and society from the micro to the macroscale (look at the Internet and organizations such as the United Nations - a large point of Elias' arguments, though he died before Internet started to be a thing - in 1990) is perpetually developing (German entwickeln) does maybe hint at something.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    MY GOODNESS BUT THIS THREAD IS A BUNDLE OF FUN IS IT NOT?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    I blame Pawel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    MY GOODNESS BUT THIS THREAD IS A BUNDLE OF FUN IS IT NOT?

MT never disappoints. I predict that in a few posts from now we'll be talking about cornflakes, then it will likely move on to a serious discussion about the problems in Syria, interspersed with a few comments about Jerry Goldsmith, Steven will at this point complain about religion, soon thereafter a person will mention cornflakes, another person will point out that we've have that discussion before, which will inevitably be followed by a James Horner joke, then it might move onto a deep discussion about the meaning of life followed by a bunch of fart jokes.

This is the way of MT.

Peter smile

PS. Speaking of cornflakes, isn't it odd that I love cornflakes, but I haven't actually had a single bowl in about a decade? What do you guys think about cornflakes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    While his arguments not necessarily always speak to me, but Freud's idea that society and culture is there to tame our biological instincts in a way (look how certain physiological behaviors have been "cultured", in fact if you seriously look at it - the only physiological action we don't have to pay for basically is breathing!).

Also, you might be interested in how a sociologist called Norbert Elias looks at it, though his theory might be controversial. What he says is that while in animals social changes are biologically induced, in human beings evolution stopped and social development started. While this point might be dodgy (we're not biologically evolving *anymore*? How can you prove that really?), the fact that our culture and society from the micro to the macroscale (look at the Internet and organizations such as the United Nations - a large point of Elias' arguments, though he died before Internet started to be a thing - in 1990) is perpetually developing (German entwickeln) does maybe hint at something.

Sounds like an interesting sociological theory, but if Norbert Elias said that evolution has stopped he does indeed show that he's no biologist. While increased global interbreeding and an increasing global population size will tend to slow evolution down, as bigger populations evolve more slowly, we're experiencing selection pressures radically different from the ones we had in nature, which will push evolution to go faster. I wouldn't claim to know what the net effect is on the speed of evolution, but anyone who claims that evolution has stopped is talking out of his posterior.

It's certainly true though that society is evolving in a non-biological sense, at a speed much faster than biological evolution could ever hope to accomplish, so even though our biology has provided the framework for social evolution, ongoing biological evolution has pretty much no say in it; perhaps that's what Norbert Elias meant...

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Utter crappy douches that suck all the attention over hard-working talent that really deserves it, will always be hated. Especially if they're as arrogant and childish as the Bieber dildo. wink

Just an normal kid, for who whenever he opens his mouth it's printed on the front page of news papers across the world. Not surprisingly a young guy like that says stupid stuff on a frequent basis, like we all did at that age.

This is where it already breaks down: we're not talking about a "normal" kid, but a kid who has been pushed and pushed by his elders (even though I gather the word in such circles is "stimulated") to achieve a certain status. Luck and normalcy have nothing to do with this: he was moulded into this shape, in a very particular set of circumstances that helped shape him. He's a lab rat. A psychology experiment. Much like Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears.

They have been raised in an environment that never taught them to question their circumstances!

Unless there's a very strong positively corrective influence in their lives, they will derail in many ways: rebellion, boundary-testing and acting out are indeed normal inclinations in any teenager/young adult. But it's usually guided and -if neede- corrected by upbringing or a strong and influential social context.
    If that is lacking, and your direct environment is solely interested in pandering to your every whim as you are making them money (or fame, or whatever benefit), then the potential for brattish, obnoxious and self-destructive behaviour is of course immense. Especially when you have the physical means to indulge such behaviour.

It's no surprise at all that there are such strong reactions against this.
    I don't think it's simple jealousy or 'schadenfreude'.
    It's the very contrary nature of the beast that annoys people who do keep their base emotions in check, who havelearned proper coping mechanisms, who do think before they act (indeed much as Pawel suggested: keeping their 'Id' in check). It's the very abnormality (in the sense of acting contrary to our social contracts and conventions) of teh thing that leads to many such extreme reactions.

Such contextual considerations do not absolve the perpetrators, though.
    There are more than enough information channels outside of their sheltered lives to heighten awareness.
    There is very much a choice to partake of information. Laziness, stupidity or apathy are no excuse. Just explanations for boorish behaviour.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. plindboe wrote
    PS. Speaking of cornflakes, isn't it odd that I love cornflakes, but I haven't actually had a single bowl in about a decade? What do you guys think about cornflakes?

I guess it depends on the cornflakes, but I think they're cardboardy and dull. Frosted Flakes taste about as good as if you were to put sugar on cardboard and then try to eat it. When it comes to cereal I far prefer things to go in the muesli direction (depending on what fruits and nuts are in it, though), though I'd be lying if I said my favorite cereals weren't of the brightly-colored 'merican hey-kids-who-wants-ADD variety...what I wouldn't give for a bowl of Lucky Charms right now...lick

They do have a couple stores dotted around the UK that carry stuff like that but it's always like 9 pounds for a box...I mean, come on.

am I doing it right? is this how you MT? Or did I forget to shout JAMES HORNER at some point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    If you're one of those rare people who doesn't want to be rich, and would instantly give the money away if you ever won a billion bucks in the lottery, it doesn't change the fact that most people want to be rich.

I think that's too narrow a statement.
    It's a classic fairytale construct: get rich=troubles are over.
    But no one ever considers the price: what do you need to DO to become rich? What are the consequences?
    The amount of stress and depression in lotter winners is staggering! The changes in their lives are absolutely mindboggling and it is VERY hard to cope!

I have absolutely no desire to be rich (in the sense of pop star rich).
    I would like to have enough money to be able to not worry about it: so freeing my mind up rather than cluttering it with more, new concerns!

I think you may find (but I readily admit this is a hypothesis! I have never actually asked someone!) that when you're over a certain age (let's rather randomly say 35 or so) the contextual (my, I'm big at contexts in this thread) side of such notions start weighing more and more heavy!

If you're not envious of a person whose life turns into an Axe commercial every time he leaves a building, that's great for you, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the ultimate male fantasy to be desired and worshipped by beautiful, young women.

...until you realise that satisfaction is derived nor from a continuous state of having your needs fulfilled, but teh awareness of the gap between need and want. To be truly happy with a need fulfilled, you HAVE to have the want.
    The fantasy is wonderful.
    For a week (or maybe a month).
    And then it gets tedious.
    Then boring.

It's what makes us tick: men wants and needs to strive towards their needs. Not having them handed to us.
    Oh sure, I don't mean to say it never happens, but you'll find more often than not that these are part of hedonist or decadent lifestyles. Not happy ones!
    Here too, the concept is much more interesting than the reality!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Here's a moderately entertaining Cornflakes commercial .

And here's an absolute classic. Cornflakes are mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What is the square area of Nigeria?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BxW (or if it's got even sides, B²)
    Or 923,768 km².
    Whatever's most convenient for you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Peter,

I mostly like Special K
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Here's a moderately entertaining Cornflakes commercial .

And here's an absolute classic. Cornflakes are mentioned.

Loved The Young Ones.

Here's MY House

I lived on the top floor on the left from 1987-1989 and on the middle floor below it from 1990-92 biggrin

I have almost nothing but brilliant memories of those days.
  3. I came across a 2-minute score from composer Brian Sadler (who did the excellent score for Ace Pilot: Infinity Drifter in 2012) for a short video, Maker vs Marker.

The video is a bit of fun and Sadler's short score is excellent!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I came across a 2-minute score from composer Brian Sadler (who did the excellent score for Ace Pilot: Infinity Drifter in 2012) for a short video, Maker vs Marker.

The video is a bit of fun and Sadler's short score is excellent!

:like:
  4. plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    While his arguments not necessarily always speak to me, but Freud's idea that society and culture is there to tame our biological instincts in a way (look how certain physiological behaviors have been "cultured", in fact if you seriously look at it - the only physiological action we don't have to pay for basically is breathing!).

Sounds like an interesting sociological theory, but if Norbert Elias said that evolution has stopped he does indeed show that he's no biologist. While increased global interbreeding and an increasing global population size will tend to slow evolution down, as bigger populations evolve more slowly, we're experiencing selection pressures radically different from the ones we had in nature, which will push evolution to go faster. I wouldn't claim to know what the net effect is on the speed of evolution, but anyone who claims that evolution has stopped is talking out of his posterior.

It's certainly true though that society is evolving in a non-biological sense, at a speed much faster than biological evolution could ever hope to accomplish, so even though our biology has provided the framework for social evolution, ongoing biological evolution has pretty much no say in it; perhaps that's what Norbert Elias meant...

Peter smile

Yeah, precisely - evolution stopped to matter (and it's been minimal in humans), because social development took a life of its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Evolution stopped because facebook and social media came along and made people retarded. Glue to their smartphone screens, completely ignoring one next to each other, the world around them, the life passing by. It's become more valuable to share a pic of your holidays than to actually shut off from the 'civilized world' and enjoy the destination and your loved ones.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Evolution stopped because facebook and social media came along and made people retarded. Glue to their smartphone screens, completely ignoring one next to each other, the world around them, the life passing by. It's become more valuable to share a pic of your holidays than to actually shut off from the 'civilized world' and enjoy the destination and your loved ones.

Word!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Word!

MS Word?
    Not WordPerfect?
    Or WordStar?
    Or AbiWord?
    wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Or OpenOffice Writer?

No, wait, that doesn't work!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Demetris wrote

Can't help but point out the irony of you posting this on an Internet messageboard... wink

Social media is like everything else; if used properly and in moderation it's harmless and a good way to keep up with friends in other countries.

To say that evolution has stopped based on a phenomenon that's only sprung up in the last decade or so is pretty daring considering the kind of speeds evolution usually moves at. Technically we haven't evolved in the last 200,000 years. tongue
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Or OpenOffice Writer?

No, wait, that doesn't work!

Try the LibreOffice version! Works fine for me! I am looking for alternatives, because concidering MS's distribution policy for their latest office version, Office 2010 is probably the last one I bought. I don't use 90% of that bloated thing's features anyway.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Loved The Young Ones.
    Here's MY House

shocked
    Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Utter crappy douches that suck all the attention over hard-working talent that really deserves it, will always be hated. Especially if they're as arrogant and childish as the Bieber dildo. wink

Just an normal kid, for who whenever he opens his mouth it's printed on the front page of news papers across the world. Not surprisingly a young guy like that says stupid stuff on a frequent basis, like we all did at that age.

This is where it already breaks down: we're not talking about a "normal" kid, but a kid who has been pushed and pushed by his elders (even though I gather the word in such circles is "stimulated") to achieve a certain status. Luck and normalcy have nothing to do with this: he was moulded into this shape, in a very particular set of circumstances that helped shape him. He's a lab rat. A psychology experiment. Much like Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears.

They have been raised in an environment that never taught them to question their circumstances!

Unless there's a very strong positively corrective influence in their lives, they will derail in many ways: rebellion, boundary-testing and acting out are indeed normal inclinations in any teenager/young adult. But it's usually guided and -if neede- corrected by upbringing or a strong and influential social context.
    If that is lacking, and your direct environment is solely interested in pandering to your every whim as you are making them money (or fame, or whatever benefit), then the potential for brattish, obnoxious and self-destructive behaviour is of course immense. Especially when you have the physical means to indulge such behaviour.

It's the very contrary nature of the beast that annoys people who do keep their base emotions in check, who havelearned proper coping mechanisms, who do think before they act (indeed much as Pawel suggested: keeping their 'Id' in check). It's the very abnormality (in the sense of acting contrary to our social contracts and conventions) of teh thing that leads to many such extreme reactions.

Such contextual considerations do not absolve the perpetrators, though.
    There are more than enough information channels outside of their sheltered lives to heighten awareness.
    There is very much a choice to partake of information. Laziness, stupidity or apathy are no excuse. Just explanations for boorish behaviour.

Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    If you're one of those rare people who doesn't want to be rich, and would instantly give the money away if you ever won a billion bucks in the lottery, it doesn't change the fact that most people want to be rich.

But no one ever considers the price: what do you need to DO to become rich? What are the consequences?
    The amount of stress and depression in lotter winners is staggering! The changes in their lives are absolutely mindboggling and it is VERY hard to cope!

I would like to have enough money to be able to not worry about it: so freeing my mind up rather than cluttering it with more, new concerns!

I think you may find (but I readily admit this is a hypothesis! I have never actually asked someone!) that when you're over a certain age (let's rather randomly say 35 or so) the contextual (my, I'm big at contexts in this thread) side of such notions start weighing more and more heavy!

If you're not envious of a person whose life turns into an Axe commercial every time he leaves a building, that's great for you, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the ultimate male fantasy to be desired and worshipped by beautiful, young women.

...until you realise that satisfaction is derived nor from a continuous state of having your needs fulfilled, but teh awareness of the gap between need and want. To be truly happy with a need fulfilled, you HAVE to have the want.
    Then boring.

It's what makes us tick: men wants and needs to strive towards their needs. Not having them handed to us.
    Oh sure, I don't mean to say it never happens, but you'll find more often than not that these are part of hedonist or decadent lifestyles. Not happy ones!

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote

I'm pretty sure he's changed due to the mass hysteria concerning his person (who wouldn't?), and it's obvious that he slavishly does whatever his PR advisors say, his recent "bad boy" image being a bit too obvious, but I don't think he's Michael Jackson insane just yet. Still seems like a normal kid to me, albeight a bit full of himself and with a tendency to say stupid things.

Then again, a point I made earlier is that the media plays a big part by printing every word he says on front pages for everyone to scrutinize and laugh at. Imagine if that happened to any other kid. Only skilled politicians, lawyers and other people with a unique gift of communication will be able to not appear stupid and arrogant when they receive such an obsessive treatment from the media. Even Obama, who's highly intelligent, a brilliant communicator with more charisma than just about anyone else, makes communication blunders from time to time, that are blown out of proportion and used to paint him as stupid and arrogant by everyone who dislikes him. Take almost any random kid from the street and give him the same media treatment, and he's bound to come off as the most arrogant and stupid prick on the planet. I find that Bieber haters always seem to ignore this effect, even though it's rather important.

Martijn wrote

Thing is, these people are pointing their hate in the wrong direction. It's the consumers and the moneymakers who ultimately destroy this kid, and their behaviour is simply a natural consequence of capitalism, current technology and human nature. Reacting against a system that is destroying a kid by hating him and taking pleasure when he is attacked seems misdirected, and additionally it accomplishes nothing. Take Bieber out, and Bieber2 is just around the corner, which illustrates that the problem is not with the person, but with a system that takes human beings and turns them into superficial puppets. Bieber haters seem to me to be just as misguided as beliebers, by focusing excessively on an individual, guided by strong and misguided emotions about this person they've never met and who doesn't warrant the attention.

Martijn wrote

I don't either; there are obviously several factors at play, jealousy alone doesn't explain it, and it's worth pointing out that I never made such a claim in the first place.

Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

Then boring.

I agree with all of this, but it doesn't counter my point. Rich people are often less happy and we all know this, but that doesn't change the fact that despite of this knowledge most people would still like to be rich. There are things humans generally desire on an instinctual level (money, sex, power), even when we realize on a higher thinking level that getting all these things probably won't be good for us; similarly to how you'll crave an icecream in front of you, even though you know it's no good for you. Having a deep-seated craving for certain things, and seeing someone with it whom you feel doesn't deserve it, is likely to cause resentment in many people.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Loved The Young Ones.
    Here's MY House

shocked
    Really?

Really! I'm sure I've said and mentioned it before? ( I thought I was being a repeating boring old fart )

Many mad and brilliant times were had there. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, precisely - evolution stopped to matter (and it's been minimal in humans), because social development took a life of its own.

I wouldn't put it like that. Saying that evolution stopped to matter gives the wrong impression, as the evolutionary past that led to our current biology provides the framework and boundaries for social evolution, so it continues to matter greatly and always will. That we for instance evolved a sense of empathy, is the very root of the existence of justice systems and our strive towards social progress. Without empathy societies would be radically different, or more likely there couldn't even exist societies.

As biological evolution slowly changes us, the boundaries in which social evolution can take place will slowly shift with it, so while current biological evolution on a short time scale has little impact on social change, it is the ultimate decider in the long run. Imagine for instance if we over the next 100.000 years evolved to be less empathetic, how dramatically societies would change as a result, or if we evolved to not feel jealousy anymore, how many things in society would change with it; religions, laws, expectations, rules of conduct, language, relationships etc.

Peter smile
  9. Omg, this is painful and yet downright hilarious. The comments are insanely funny too, trust me the 15 minutes fly by without you knowing it biggrin

World's Worst Attempt At Parallel Parking, Enjoy!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Omg, this is painful and yet downright hilarious. The comments are insanely funny too, trust me the 15 minutes fly by without you knowing it biggrin

World's Worst Attempt At Parallel Parking, Enjoy!

Sounds like a rejected Michael Giacchino cue title from Cars 2.
  11. biggrin