• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Thanks a lot Cobweb!!!

John Scott is one of the best film composers
  1. Just wanted to let people know of a little gem of a score from John Scott that I came across today.

A couple of weeks ago there was a digital release of a 2+ hour album, "Festival Jules Verne the Complete John Scott Iconic Concerts (Live)". it features suites from a number of Scott's scores as well as series of suites from live film music staples (e.g., Lawrence of Arabia, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Titanic, etc.)

But the album starts off with a 26-minute suite of music, written in 2005, for Georges Méliès' 1902 film Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip To The Moon). I thought that it was a fantastic little piece, varied in style and featuring full orchestra and mixed chorus. Since the film only lasts 12-14 minutes I am thinking that this suite has been inspired by the film rather than a composition written to picture.

I am not sure whether it's on Spotify but here's a link to the album:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Festival-Jules- … john+scott

Check out the album but particularly the opening track, "Méliès' A Trip To The Moon (Live)".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    LE VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE is somewhat shrewn in mystery as far as score is concerned. There was no original score written for it, that much we know, but subsequent screenings in the years that followed DID have an original score now and then. There is apparently an Ezra Read score from 1903, for example. And of course, in recent years it's been a popular project for 'rescoring' by all kinds of different composers and artists. But I was not aware that Scott had done one, so thanks for the information.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I didn't know about it either. And I don't really know much about it. Let me know what you think of it. £1 for 26 minutes of music can't be bad!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    Late notice, I realize, but there's one more day to order John Scott's 1987 The Whistle Blower from Varese Sarabande's LP-to-CD series.

Just got my 2 copies in the mail yesterday, so no longer need to rely upon the LP which I've had since it was new.
    Ripped The Whistle Blower to my PC today. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    Why TWO copies? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited
    For those titles which I know I like (for example The Whistle Blower LP, which I have owned since the late '80s) & when such albums arrive onto CD, I sometimes purchase 2 of them.
    I keep one factory sealed whilst the other gets opened, listen to, copied, etc.

Since this LP-to-CD series offers titles for only one month, one may never know when an album might become a future collector item (in which case I could sell my sealed disc while still keeping the other one for myself).

However, don't let my collecting habits switch focus away from John Scott's music. smile
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2016
    How is the music for "Far from home"? It´s a good score? Better than "The north star" or "The second jungle book"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016
    Hi, kilar 30.

I'd rank Yellow Dog: Far From Home as a 3-star album. A solid good John Scott score, but - for me personally - not as impressive or as engaging as The North Star.

Almost all John Scott soundtracks contain quality instrumental music, so we fans of Scott shouldn't be significantly disappointed by any of the titles within the JOS catalogue.

One might put any purchase of Far From Home on a temporary hold, though, as one may instead wish to grab Mountbatten from the Varese LP-to-CD series while it's still on offer within its 30-day period.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016
    Thanks Cobweb,

I like the music of John Scott very much. It´s a great composer.

I have "Mountbatten" (in the other edition). What do you think of "The new swiss Robinson"and "The second jungle book"?

Thanks again
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016 edited
    To be honest, The Second Jungle Book doesn't appeal to me much. Perhaps you may like it, but I find it disappointing.
    I think The New Swiss Family Robinson is more satisfactory, IMO.

Scott's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is very good and better than either of these 2 (again IMO).
    I think Scott's music is much more descriptive & satisfying when communicating seascapes and nautical settings and snowbound territories (but I do like very much his Greystoke). smile

[another solid 3-star album is his '77 People That Time Forgot]
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    I have 20,000 leagues under the sea and is a very good score.

I prefer "King of the wind", "Mill of the floss", "Shogun Mayeda", "The scarlet tunic", "William the conqueror", "Walking thunder", "Greystoke","Antony and Cleopatra" and "Shergar".
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Shergar and Mill on the Floss I rate very highly, too.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    Someone has received the Varese CD of "Mountbatten"? I have the other edition, and I would like to know if the quality of sound is better.

Thanks
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    What CD of the dedicated to Cousteau is better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Impossible to say, Kilar. I like ALL of his "Cousteau" works!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Lengthy video interview with Scott back in February, conducted by orchestrator John Burlingame:

EDIT: New link, since FMS deleted the original:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCvPk- … -0_HaObO-V

EDIT: The original video said Russs had conducted it, even though it didn't look like Russ (but I took their word for it).

And, to promote my site a little, in relation, my interview with Patrick Russ:
    http://www.rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/ … rview.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.