• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    No topic for this composer yet? shocked
    Solved.

I recently received "Shergar", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "North Star", "Blood Royal: William the Conqueror", "The Shooting Party", "The Final Countdown", "The People That Time Forgot" and "Antony and Cleopatra". I´ve got also "King of the Wind" (where could I actually purchase this one? I can´t find any site), "Shogun Mayeda", "Lionheart", "Shoot to Kill" and "L' Expédition Jules Verne". Any other recommendation?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Yeah ... give us some of that cash wad. Holy moly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    justin boggan wrote
    Yeah ... give us some of that cash wad. Holy moly.

confused
  2. You recently received eight scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Which means you owe us money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Oh yes, you know, taking profit of euro´s strength over american dollar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    Great Scott! That is an awesome set of scores!

Shoot to Kill is a bootleg so I hope you didn't pay $$ for it.

Lionheart is rare and pricey. Congrats!

King of the Wind used to be available in SAE but not anymore. Keep a watch on SAE.

Other good scores are- 2nd Jungle Book, Walking Thunder, Becoming Colette and Ruby (the sax theme is lovely)

You also might want to check out the entire series of Cousteau scores.
    Also SAE has "John Scott Conducts His Own Favorite Film Scores" which has some nice suites (including a better selection from Greystoke in comparison to what's on Concerts pour L'Aventure)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    King of the Wind used to be available in SAE but not anymore. Keep a watch on SAE.

Other good scores are- 2nd Jungle Book, Walking Thunder, Becoming Colette and Ruby (the sax theme is lovely)

You also might want to check out the entire series of Cousteau scores.
    Also SAE has "John Scott Conducts His Own Favorite Film Scores" which has some nice suites (including a better selection from Greystoke in comparison to what's on Concerts pour L'Aventure)

Thanks for the recommendations wink
    It won´t take me too long to place another order, before some of the scores you mention become difficult to find too, as has happened with "King of the Wind".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    I see La La Land is releasing Scott's score for GREYSTOKE : THE LEGEND OF TARZAN LORD OF THE APES on 21st September.

Good news if you ask me. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I see La La Land is releasing Scott's score for GREYSTOKE : THE LEGEND OF TARZAN LORD OF THE APES on 21st September.

Good news if you ask me. cool

Cool. I had the boot for like forever, and while there's a little too much gruesome horror & suspence music on it, it has some pretty nice cues too. The film is very underrated, IMO. It deserves a real, legitimate release, although since it's LLL, I fear C&C.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I fear you didn't read their announcement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    I fear you didn't read their announcement.

No, where is it? Can't see it on their site.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

For the first time ever John Scott's jungle adventure GREYSTOKE, TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES comes to life on CD (previous releases were all unauthorized). This special release was made possible by using the Original 1/4" Album Master found in the Warner Bros Records Vaults. Sadly, no other elements were located to give this wonderful score the Expanded Treatment it deserves. However, we were able to pull the OVERTURE and END CREDITS off the original magnetic track and present it here as Bonus Material. Artwork, tracks titles and sound clips will be posted next week upon its release.

Release date: September 21, 2010 at 1 PM PST

Greystoke, Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
    LLLCD 1144
    Limited Edition of 3,000 units
    Music by John Scott
    Reissue Album Produced by MV Gerhard
    Mastered by James Nelson
    Liner Notes by Jeff Bond

Art Direction by David Fein vomit

Retail Price: $19.98
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

For the first time ever John Scott's jungle adventure GREYSTOKE, TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES comes to life on CD (previous releases were all unauthorized). [b]This special release was made possible by using the Original 1/4" Album Master found in the Warner Bros Records Vaults. Sadly, no other elements were located to give this wonderful score the Expanded Treatment it deserves.

Great! Finally, sloppy archiving is on my side! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    My #1 John Scott selection is King Kong Lives.

Other superb selections not mentioned yet are: Red King White Knight, Time of the Wolf and all his Cousteau music.

John Scott's ability to write long-lined melodic themes rivals John Barry and Ennio Morricone if you ask me. Beyond his main themes, the meat of his scores aren't always as developed as theirs are, but he's still a tremendous composer. From what I understand he's a difficult person to work with and that's why his career hasn't had the high profile it might have had.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    John Scott was born in my city, Bristol and according to wikipedia, Bishopston ( which is less than 5 minutes from where I live ), I doubt there's a plaque on the house slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    Oh my gawd! I'm so happy about the Greystoke CD release!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010
    LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
    NEW RELEASES: Tues, 1pm (PST) SEPTEMBER 21, 2010

New Releases available for order at www.lalalandrecords.com
    Tues, 1pm (PST), SEPTEMBER 21, 2010

“GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES:
    LIMITED EDITION”
    Music by John Scott
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98
    NOW SHIPPING

GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1144
    Music by John Scott
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

NOW SHIPPING
    RETAIL PRICE $19.98

ORDER “GREYSTOKE, THE LEGEND OF TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES: LIMITED EDITION” SEPT. 21 at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records presents the premiere CD release of composer John Scott’s (THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, SHOOT TO KILL, NORTH DALLAS FORTY) magnificent orchestral score to the 1984 Warner Bros. feature film GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES, starring Christopher Lambert, Andie MacDowell, Ralph Richardson, Ian Holm and James Fox, directed by Hugh Hudson. Scott’s brilliant score bursts with the violence and vitality of the jungle, yet is also heart-moving and surprisingly gentle. This re-issue was produced by MV Gerhard and remastered by James Nelson from the original Warner Bros. ¼ inch album masters. While no elements were secured to give this wonderful score the expanded treatment it deserves, we were able to pull the OVERTURE and END CREDITS off the original magnetic track and present it here as Bonus Material. CD Booklet features in-depth liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond. This release is limited to 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. The Family (2:52)
    2. Greystoke (3:31)
    3. Catastrophe (2:57)
    4. Child Of The Apes (2:30)
    5. Pygmy Attack (1:16)
    6. D’arnot’s Vision (1:31)
    7. Tarzan, Lord Of The Apes (2:13)
    8. Tarzan Leaves The Jungle (1:32)
    9. Edge Of The World (3:09)
    10. (Gardens Of Greystoke) Chanson De Matin (0:55)
    11. The Weight Of Greystoke (2:50)
    12. (The Dancing Lesson) Sontag Polka (1:07)
    13. Dance Of Death (3:10)
    14. Half Of Me Is Wild (1:06)
    15. Return To The Jungle (3:11)

Bonus Tracks:

16. Overture (1:41)
    17. Closing (End Titles) (2:59)

Total Running Time: 38:30
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. How is this one within the Scott canon? A great? An also-ran?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010
    So glad to see Greystoke finally available on cd!

franz_conrad wrote
    How is this one within the Scott canon? A great? An also-ran?

It's one of his top works. I first heard a suite on Dan Schweiger's interview with Scott (for On The Score) and was instantly hooked. It's sweeping and lyrical... a jungle ballet. Youtube has a suite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyh6PPE5mR0
  5. Review of John Scott's Lionheart, a score I always loved during the movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2011
    Antony and Cleopatra - Live

The Final Countdown - Live

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    Here's a new website for John Scott
    www.johnscott-composer.com
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    Looks very nice.
    WHat a nice tribute.

I was just enjoying his work on Cousteau - Amazon, thinking how underappreciated a composer he really is.
    It's good to see people taking an interest and putting in some hard work in setting up a site like that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Looks very nice.
    WHat a nice tribute.

I was just enjoying his work on Cousteau - Amazon, thinking how underappreciated a composer he really is.
    It's good to see people taking an interest and putting in some hard work in setting up a site like that.

Couldn't agree more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011
    INTRADA
    Announces:

SHOOT TO KILL
    Composed and Conducted by JOHN SCOTT
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 173

The 1988 Touchstone film Shoot to Kill quite frankly features one of John Scott's finest scores. Scott employs a single long-form, minor-mode melody to characterize and drive Shoot to Kill, and it is unquestionably one of the great motion picture themes of the 1980s. Performed by saxophone, full orchestra, or solo piano, it appears in many guises through this action score, with a sweeping nod to the grand outdoor adventure on screen. The complex construction of the melody paints a portrait of the conflict between protagonist and adversary, featuring shadowy opening notes that reinforce the sense of mystery at the same time they heroically characterize Warren Stantin (Sidney Poitier). Having grounded the score with this melody, Scott was free to take a wide variety of rhythmic and stylistic approaches, with action and suspense music that is robust, complex and varied as he tackles an abundance of situations from the tense hostage drama to the rigors of survival, a blanketing snowstorm, a grueling mountain climb, the tourists’ murder, a forest foot chase and the final trackdown, pursuit and confrontation with the villain on a ferry near the Canadian border. The result is an exciting, stylish and memorable action score, one of the hallmarks of ’80s cinema and, in its way, an impressive tribute to the durability and mystique of Sidney Poitier, one of the great icons of modern cinema.

In Shoot to Kill, FBI agent Warren Stantin is assigned to investigate a San Francisco jewelry store break-in—only to discover that the man about to abscond with two pounds of diamonds is the store owner whose wife is being held hostage by a mysterious criminal. This event turns into a manhunt that leads Stantin north where he employs the reluctant Jonathan Knox (Tom Berenger) to lead him through the mountains to find his girlfriend and fellow guide Sarah (Kirstie Alley) and her group (none of whom realize that there is a killer among them) before the suspect can escape into Canada.

This release is limited to 2000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 173
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7118/.f
  6. I remember absolutely loving the end credits segment that someone used in an old clips contest and I managed to get a hold of the entire track. Loved it. I then managed to get a hold of the boot that was circulating at the time and I couldn't believe that the track I had heard had come from the same score.

That end credits track is more than enough of a summary for the score as a whole.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. you got that from me Alan smile , it is indeed one amazing main theme piece. Love it when it burst out at the end
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011
    Remember the film from when I was a teen. Taped it off of TV in the early 90's and saw it a few more times after that. Great combo of urban and outdoors wildlife thriller.

Can't remember a note of the music, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011 edited
    NP: KING KONG LIVES John Scott. A nice adventure score to a movie I've never seen. This is one I got years ago listened to it once and put it away. I've got to go back and listen to some of my older scores more. There is a definite hint of Barry in this one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!