• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    For you film music fans I would recommend that you have a listen to the Lizst piece called "Totentanz." It is based on the theme Dies Irae and is a 15 minute work "Dance of Death" piece for piano that covers the entire spectrum of emotions in a typical showy Lizst piano work.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    Interesting work from Tyberg who composed in the 30's and then was exterminated by the Nazis in 44. New release from Naxos.
  1. Can anybody suggested any Russian music with chorus, that starts out quiet, but builds over the piece?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    Check out some of the Glinka Russian and Ludmilla Opera material
  2. Depends on what you call Russian, I am not very proficient in his career, but Prokofiev is the creator of the "cliche" Hollywood Russian sound, isn't he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Father of Russian classical music is Glinka who developed material around Russian folk themes.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Belkis, Queen of Sheba Suite, Dance of the Gnomes, Pines of Rome - Respighi

Eiji Oue conducts the Minnesoto Orchestra

Freakin' awesome!!!

One of the best recordings I've heard! Beautifully performed.

Great Middle Eastern soundscape!

Bliss! cool
  3. sdtom wrote
    Father of Russian classical music is Glinka who developed material around Russian folk themes.
    thomas

Could I say that Glinka is to Russia what Copland was to America?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    sdtom wrote
    thomas

Could I say that Glinka is to Russia what Copland was to America?

Tough call? You could argue that Gershwin is to America what Copeland is? Or Elgar to Vaughan Williams regarding English music?

I would still go with Prokofiev, it's his music that has become the "Russian" sound.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Gershwin's roots are jazz really, aren't they? Copland took original folk. Or am I wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Pawel I think you could make that statement about Copland/Glinka. Copland is definitely associated with classical music while Gershwin was really popular music during his time.
    Thomas