• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008 edited
    I'm proud to finally announce (I had to keep quiet) that Pino Donaggio is officially scoring the Dutch war/adventure film called Oorlogswinter (Winter in Wartime). Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795441/

The score will be recorded with the Bulgarian Symphonic Orchestra. I've been involved in the musical process; temp score, regular musical advise, also tried to help with choosing a composer in an early stage.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Way cool Joep, did you get to meet Donnagio?

And what was the film temped with?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    No, I haven't met him. Only the director and editor. Unfortunately I can''t reveal the temp. Some filmmakers don't mind, others do.
  1. So, he's not replacing any composer? ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    Nopes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    This is awesome news, Joep! Thanks so much for whatever part you played in getting Pino this gig.
    Go Pinooooooooo!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Well, I I just selected some melodic cues that the director could listen to in the process of making up his mind and looked for a way to contact the composer. Nothing really special, because he had wanted to use the Donaggio for a long time.

I'll write an article around the release of the film, at the beginning of december.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    Nice to see him do a comeback! Or was he really gone? Has he done anything noteworthy these last few years that I'm not aware of, perhaps?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    He's never been gone. And yes, you might have missed some things. What's the last thing you heard?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Still wondering Thor..... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    Saw "Never talk to strangers" recently. A decent movie, until the unbelivably ridiculous ending. Pino's score was excellent though; pleasant music all the way through, and the main theme was absolutely delicious. Alas I see on the soundtrack album that only 3 score tracks were released. slant We need a proper score release of this one!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Saw "Never talk to strangers" recently. A decent movie, until the unbelivably ridiculous ending. Pino's score was excellent though; pleasant music all the way through, and the main theme was absolutely delicious. Alas I see on the soundtrack album that only 3 score tracks were released. slant We need a proper score release of this one!

Peter smile

Love the score! The movie was corny. Rebecca DeMornay produced and acted in that movie and there are some hot scenes smile Guess she thought that was the only way to sell the movie.
    The movie looks like the director is ripping off from Brian de Palma and using his composer of choice (and it's amusing if you try to connect how de Palma himself was a big fan of Hitchcock and started with his usual composer (Herrmann) ). Two orders of dilution!

I have the movie and occasionally return to that snow dance scene for the lovely music (and the hot scenes immediately after it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008 edited
    I was aware of the 4.9 imdb rating when I saw the movie, and I remember thinking, while watching the movie, that it wasn't that bad at all, and I couldn't understand why the rating was so low. Even the proverbial psycho-in-the-prison talks I thought were well written and acted. Then came the big revelation of the movie and I thought "Ahhh, so that's why!". That revelation was just too unbelievable and silly, that I cringed and made a triple facepalm.

At least the score was great and it's always time well spent when there are hooters showing, so in the end I'm glad I watched it.

I agree the snow scene music was lovely, but the main theme is still my favorite for the moment. BP, are you aware of any score release? It seems such a shame that a mere 3 tracks from such a gorgeous score are all that's available.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    No I haven't come across the score release aside from the 3 cues on a song soundtrack cd. It's there on SST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, I will remember to request it next time I'm there.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    Still wondering Thor..... wink

Can't remember when I last saw a Dinaggio-scored film, to be honest, but the most recent film of him that I've seen is probably RAISING CAIN (from 1992!). I've not seen anything he has done since that, but after perusing imdb, it seems to be mostly Italian fare.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    You can now listen to some music of Donaggio's : http://www.oorlogswinterdefilm.nl/main.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sounds actually really good!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Yups, it's 'nice' wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    I'm going to interview Donaggio on the 18th of november!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    That's fantastic, Joep! I hope you can post it here after you finish the interview.

I really enjoyed the clips from Oorlogswinter. Let us know if there are future plans to release the music.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Sure, will do.
  2. Joep wrote

make sure he knows of the site, and of my 3 star ratings ok? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    Like he would care spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Joep wrote

Excellent! I'm green with envy tongue

If it's not too late to post a question...

Il Grande Torino is my fave score of his. It's out-and-out a gorgeous score with plenty of heart. The tragic story of the great Torino is dear to the Italians. Does he have any special memories from scoring this?
    Does he have plans of having a concert?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I've got plenty of questions already and about 30 minutes of time and everything has to be translated... Maybe, but I can't promiss anything.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    It was incredible to interview him! He's a very kind and funny man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Awesome! More details later then?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I took two cappucino's to get into the mood... 'Normally I'm a ''regular coffee only'' type of guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Happy birthday Pinooooooo! biggrin punk