• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I have a question or two about the computer's cache. I was searching for the Blake Neely cue and found a reference to it in the PC's cache. But it seemed to be full of a lot of other stuff - and it looks as though it could do with a clean out.

I'm assuming that the cache is a sort of place where a lot of files reside that accummulate from surfing the web (e.g., played cues from composer websites wink ). I'm wondering if this cache is cleared every time you shotdown your PC? Or do you need to clear the cache manually
    occasionally?

And if I clear the cache do I lose all the reminders on websites such as this that log me in automatically when I visit. The last thing I want to do is clear the cache and find that I have to log in to all the sites where I choose to log in automatically.

Finally, does something like CCleaner clean out the cache when you set it running?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Those temp files are unfortunately not deleted at every shutdown, so every time useless junk keeps on storing itself on your drive.

First thing you can do is use the Cleanup utility of Windows. I'm assuming you use Windows XP? So rightclick on your C-drive and choose properties, then do 'Disk Cleanup'. This will already delete obsolete files in your temporary files.

The thing you talk about, what is remembered when you go to certain sites, are stored in the cookies, so as long as you don't clean those, which isn't done by default, you're safe. If you're using IE, there's also a setting in the Options, called Delete Files, which also erases your internet cache. I don't know how it's done in Firefox.

I don't know about CCleaner but too many utilities on the interweb allow you to totally maintain your PC so it becomes faster again, and more reliable by erasing all that old stuff and files you forgot about.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    Your Internet cache will clear every so often depending on how you've set up your browser. You'll either have a limit of how much temp information it can store, or with some browsers you can set them to clean every time you close a window. Check your browser options. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The answer to your problems, Alan, is CCLEANER and generally, www.filehippo.com. Here, make your life easier.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    The answer to your problems, Alan, is CCLEANER and generally, www.filehippo.com. Here, make your life easier.

I'll second CCleaner (for those who don't know, click here). The program does several kinds of wonder. With just a few click you can
    - clear you cache on both Windows (like disk cleanup utility) and program files (IE, Firefox, and whatnot)
    - clean up your registry entry
    - uninstall any program (just like what Windows does, but it load up faster)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    For a more in-depth registry clean, I reccomend Registry Mechanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    [Bangalore Helpdesk Mode] Have you tried rebooting, Sir?
    Three times already?
    Could you please try again?
    No luck?
    Then please to reinstall the operating system.
    Thank you very much Sir, have a nice day.[/BNG HD]

(With apologies to our Indian friends here on the forum kiss )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. REALLY that way? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Thanks for all the comments - except for Martijn's, of course. wink

I just emptied the cache. I also did a disc clean-up to free up some space. I had used CCleaner recently and that freed up some 22GB of space for me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    CCleaner freed up 22GB? Holy shit! shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You might also want to run the "Disk Cleanup" option in Windows as that can compress files you don't access frequently. I'd only recommend that as a last resort, as it can slow down loading times when you do try and access the compressed files in the future.
  6. I think that it was 22 and not just 2. I had never done such a thorough clean-out of my PC before. Obviously there was some unecessary clutter populating my system!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    1) ccleaner
    2) regcav registry cleaner
    3) ultimate defrag 2008

You won't recognize your pc after these wink
  7. It will transform into a Mac then? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    crazy
  8. *snigger*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, but that would be awesome if it did. It would save a lot of hassle. biggrin

Macs are better than PCs. Shh, don't tell Demetris I said that.
  9. I have a PC and I have an old Mac too. I like both of them.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I have a PC and I have an old Mac too. I like both of them.

Likewise. While the Mac has lots of cool little features, it seems it takes twice as long to do something opposed to being on a PC.
  10. The old Mac was a present from a friend of mine. He didn't need it and due to my interests at uni (featuring working on 16th century books in their original edition) I was in dire need of a laptop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Depends on the Mac and Pc we are talking about.

I would argue that a PC at Intel Core Duo Quad 4x3.2Ghz, 8gb Ram, 2xGeForce 200 series (Sli) has absolutely nothing to be jealous of any mac out-there and since Intel has bought Mac and now new Macs also have the ability to run Windows as well, if you'd like to continue banging on them actually being better, then please do so; it's fun wink

Plus, a huge down point you HAVE to admit Macs to have is their ridiculously high prices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    I know I know, I was only kidding. It's too easy to set you off, D! biggrin I just prefer using a Mac because I happen to have one, which I got for a considerably reduced price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Though saying that, you can configure a Mac Pro to a pretty hefty machine too:

# Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    # 32GB (8x4GB)
    # Mac Pro RAID Card
    # Four 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drives
    # NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB
    # Two 16x SuperDrives
    # Quad Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card

The catch being it will set you back £12,537.99! So yeah, probably better to build it yourself. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I heard about this system and it's indeed pretty impressive....but:

Christodoulides wrote

Plus, a huge down point you HAVE to admit Macs to have is their ridiculously high prices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    ...kinda like what I already said...

Plus I got mine for a REDUCED PRICE. I'm not paying the prices they expect for a laptop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know. A friend of mine wants to get the macbook pro - whatever it is called and not in a reduced prize of course as he's a plain human being ( wink ) and i simply told him he's crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He is, if he's going to pay the full price. Still, if he doesn't care, it is a nice little machine, and Leopard is very smooth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He will only buy it 'cause he recently moved in Hollywood / LA where he'll study for a master's degree in composition and all the stupid american loonies he has for colleagues will only buy and touch on anything with the iStamp on it. That's the only reason why he'll spend all those darm hard-earned dollars (since he comes from a non-rich family and he's studying on scholarship).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Macs have excellent programs for music production though, even my course leader has said that he prefers using Apple programs. I'm no expert though, I'm only repeating what others have said.
  11. Yes, Reason, Logic, ProTools are all originally Mac-based. I don't think even that Logic has a PC version.