• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    I'll tell you one thing out of my own experience at work, both alone and also by experienced professionals of the area. The program that tops them all in sound engineering is PRO TOOLS and works both on Macs and PCs, as long as you purchase some of their own hardware (Digidesign's, the company that makes pro-tools and having some of their own hardware in order to operate PRO TOOLS is obligatory on both pcs and macs) and MAGIX's SEQUOIA / STEINBERG's NUENDO. For notation there's SIBELIUS and FINALE which also work on both; Macs have LOGIC which - although good, has factually nothing more than those in order to justify the huge waste of money on the Mac. Same goes on the video for FINAL CUT which only works on Macs but you'll get the same quality with AVID or ADOBE PREMIERE PRO or a combination of those, on the PC. It's all in some people's minds, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Of course. The thing is that a LOT of the software (Cubase too, I think?) started out as Mac software and PC was secondary.

ANd the choice between AVID and Final Cut is a choice of preference from what I've heard. Interestingly, again, Adobe was originally Macintosh.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Of course. The thing is that a LOT of the software (Cubase too, I think?) started out as Mac software and PC was secondary.

ANd the choice between AVID and Final Cut is a choice of preference from what I've heard. Interestingly, again, Adobe was originally Macintosh.

Don't know about origins but it's all a matter of preference in the end; and Americans are well-known for their snobbery on MACs over PCs but that has been shaken a bit now that Intel + Apple = love for ever.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    One thing Mac's can't do - play the uber pretty games like Crysis. (Granted it's not released on a Mac, but they wouldn't have the power to run it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not even a high end Mac Pro? I find that hard to believe somehow with those specs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That'd do that of course. But 12thousand USDs ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    Well yeah, I'm not going to defend their prices. You could buy a base model Mac and then buy all the parts yourself for a lot cheaper. That's what I've done. (Plus my MacBook I got for 50% of the original price, so it was cheaper to buy than a PC laptop.)
  2. I'm looking for some help.

I'm using XCOPY to backup files from certain folders on my PC. Now that I have done this I'm putting together a batch file to add to my Scheduled Tasks so that updated files from the last backup are transferred over to my external hard drive.

Does anyone know what switch information I would need in my command line in order to move over the most recent files? (All I'm really sure about is that when I copied all the files over to my external HD the file archive attribute was switched off. New files would presumably have the archive attribute set to "on", so one thing that I would need to include in the switch information would be /M).

I have found a reference to a possible command line that may do what I'm asking:

xcopy c:somefolder e:backupfolder /D /E /C /R /H /I /K /Y

Would this do? I shall be trying to build up a command line through trial-and-error but if anyone has one that works then that would be great.

I do have Acronis True Image to to backups as an image and I use this to backup up the status of my PC but I want to save all my photos, music, etc as specific files rather than just an image.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    That *may* work, if the archive bit hasn't been turned off by any other operation (which is possible).

For the option you are looking for, I would use the industry-standard robocopy.
    It's not an installable program, but just an executable (like XCOPY), but with far more options, one of which is a switch to compare directories and only copy different files over rather than an entire directory again. We use that in batch files to copy over more recent files.

It's free, it's Microsoft-proprietary.
    If you're interested, give me a shout and I'll get it over to you, and include a little batch file sample to get you started.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn