• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    Interestingly the three Indy movies are to be had on DVD dirt cheaply now...which makes me wonder why?

I'd love to scoop them up right away (not owning them yet), but I wonder why they are so cheap? It has the odour of a "new, improved, remixed, bla bla bla" box set on the verge of release... Should I wait?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Am I right to understand you can only buy the DVD's in a compelte set? I've got the current release DVDs, but I'm too wondering whether a ''new and improved'' box set is coming out soon...

...it must be. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly the three Indy movies are to be had on DVD dirt cheaply now...which makes me wonder why?

I'd love to scoop them up right away (not owning them yet), but I wonder why they are so cheap? It has the odour of a "new, improved, remixed, bla bla bla" box set on the verge of release... Should I wait?

You'd be better off getting the DVD Box Set that was released 5 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Indian … B00003CXC5

The fourth disc of the old box set is a must for every Indiana Jones fan.

The new DVD's have new but limited extra features.

BTW, here are reviews of both sets.

ORIGINAL BOX SET
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/ … jones.html

NEW BOX SET
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/ … oxdvd.html

And the films are available individually for the very first time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    When it's out in Blu-Ray and I can afford a player, then I'll buy them again. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    When it's out in Blu-Ray and I can afford a player, then I'll buy them again. biggrin

I pretty sure Lucasfilm and Steven Spielberg will be the lat to embrace Blu-Ray just like they were the last to embrace DVD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    O.M.G

Just brought up Indiana Jones in a conversation during lunch, and two of my workmates have NEVER seen an Indiana Jones film. One asked ''What are they about?''. I was actually speechless... shocked

Suprising!? confused

I have known a couple of people who've never seen a single Bond film though....is that possible? shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    I'm just waiting for Empire's review...I predict 3 stars... cool *fingers crossed*
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev … p?FID=9816

4 STARS!! biggrin kiss

Hopefully it will be like Transformers (minus the big robots!) - a film that in context should be awful and totally stupid, but because its Indy we'll all love it! wink Meanwhile if it's good, as well as being an Indy film, I guess that's a bonus! Bring on Saturday!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Hopefully it will be like Transformers (minus the big robots!)

So basically taking away the only saving grace? slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

We still have scorpions and armys of red ants to look foward to. It's not all gone! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was just looking at the Indy soundtrack thread over at Empire. The guys there are in a discussion of whether KOTCS will have a new ''theme''. They've written ''apart from the Raiders march, TOD had the slave childrens theme, and Crusade had the grail theme''. Apparantly, that's what casual fans remember. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ehm, yeah?
    So?

It's basically what I would come up with as well as stand-outs.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But what about The Ark theme, Shortround's (*Curses*) and the scherzo?? How does that stuff not stand out? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of COURSE you and I can whistle the Nazi and the Cross Of Coronado motifs as well.
    But the casual fan will mostly (if not solely) remember the concert suites / end credits (which are ofttimes the same).
    So I'm not surprised at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev … p?FID=9816

4 STARS!! biggrin kiss

<<yadda yadda, ignoring the weird Transformers talk>> wink

Yeah! And a very reassuring review!

"But the question is whether this is a real Indy movie, and the answer is a resounding yes." (...) "It won't change your life but, if you're in the right frame of mind, it will change your mood: you might wince, you might groan, you might beg to differ on the big, silly climax, but you'll never stop smiling. Think of Indy as an escape, which is all he was ever meant to be, and all he was ever really meant to help us do".

After seeing their 'first reaction' article yesterday, I already expected 4 stars. This is just affirming that they loved it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    :thumbs up:

cool Works for me! cool

:hat:
    :whip:
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I must say, I'd have loved to be there for the sing-song of the march! wave cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    Looks like George has started to tinker with the special effects on the first three movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIH46G9_3SU

IMHO, the new shot of the Jeep falling over the cliff looks AWFUL and out of place.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Looks like George has started to tinker with the special effects on the first three movies.

IMHO, the new shot of the Jeep falling over the cliff looks AWFUL and out of place.

-Erik-

That "new shot" of the jeep falling is for the TV version only. I first saw it 5 years back when the digital version was first broadcast. The DVD version stays true to the original matt painting.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lol, while the ''new'' cliff looks more realistic, it looks like it's taken from a video game or something. dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That "new shot" of the jeep falling is for the TV version only. I first saw it 5 years back when the digital version was first broadcast. The DVD version stays true to the original matt painting.

He is still tinkering with the film and I wouldn't be surprised if he farted around with each movie some more for the Blu-Ray release.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was just watching the making of DVD which came with the boxset, and in every scene with Lucas it just looks like Spielberg is doing all the work and Lucas is just sitting doing bugger all. The bit on the music has Williams, Spielberg and Lucas sitting listening to some of the cues at the recording stage. Spielberg is taking a real interest in it and Lucas is just sitting there with a blank face. What the hell... rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I was just watching the making of DVD which came with the boxset, and in every scene with Lucas it just looks like Spielberg is doing all the work and Lucas is just sitting doing bugger all. The bit on the music has Williams, Spielberg and Lucas sitting listening to some of the cues at the recording stage. Spielberg is taking a real interest in it and Lucas is just sitting there with a blank face. What the hell... rolleyes slant

Lucas provide the story and the money. This is Spielberg's baby and he basically gets what he wants. Lucas is letting Spielberg play like any GOOD producer should do.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    KOTCS arrived today (staying in its case for now I might add!),. My opinion of the packaging has totally changed - while I thought it looked and tacky and cheap on the net, it's in one of those sweet curved-edge cases and it looks great! Only problem is that aside from a few generic comments by Spielberg, there's no linear notes!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    KOTCS arrived today (staying in its case for now I might add!),. My opinion of the packaging has totally changed - while I thought it looked and tacky and cheap on the net, it's in one of those sweet curved-edge cases and it looks great! Only problem is that aside from a few generic comments by Spielberg, there's no linear notes!

That's pretty much always been the case with Williams scores for Spielberg.

Everyone of a certain age are ALL spoiled with todays releases, with LP's it was exceptionally rare to get any kind of booklet or liner notes. I'm no exception and will look aghast at some crummy black & white photos in the booklet of a latest Varese release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    Today! Today! Today! Today! Today! Today! Today! Today! Today!

biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin punk
  1. We were lucky to get top seats at the earliest available screening yesterday in the evening. The whole family went, including my daughter who saw the three predecessors last year for the first time and loved them, of course.

You know how it is to sit in the theatre and constantly thinking "Please don´t suck" before the movie rolls?

Well, it didn´t. Suck, I mean. It was exactly what I expect from an Indiana Jones movie, and more, in some places. I won´t spoil anything for you people, so I keep my mouth shut until more of you have seen it.

I´m a very happy man today.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I won´t spoil anything for you people, so I keep my mouth shut until more of you have seen it.

I´m a very happy man today.

Thank you! beer

Please could people mention reviews/comments containing spoilers so those of us who can't see the movie immediatly can still enjoy the thread!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I won´t spoil anything for you people, so I keep my mouth shut until more of you have seen it.

Kudos to you, mate. smile

Hope I'll get a seat tonight. slant