• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Hope I'll get a seat tonight. slant

Don't you better get your drivers license first?

MWHUAHHAHAHA wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

I actually had to look twice to see what you meant. wink

(sadly you're not wrong either... I should get cracking on this...but it's so hideously expensive... sad )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I won´t spoil anything for you people, so I keep my mouth shut until more of you have seen it.

Kudos to you, mate. smile

Hope I'll get a seat tonight. slant

Good luck smile

I ( we, Mel and three friends ) have tickets for tonight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am going too tonight!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am going too tonight!

We can ALL discuss it's merits later tonight then? cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Definitely, i have a great mood for it already and it's just 4p.m!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Definitely, i have a great mood for it already and it's just 4p.m!

2 p.m. here, I'm going at 8.00 this evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm going to see it tomorrow. We could have got tickets earlier, but exams and whatnot got in the way. As long as I see it, I don't care!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm going to see it tomorrow. We could have got tickets earlier, but exams and whatnot got in the way. As long as I see it, I don't care!

Beware of spoilers at this thread later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Does anyone else find it hard to stop reading when it says ******SPOILERS******* ?

I think I better avoid this thread from now on because I simply cannot stop reading. I appreciate the effort people do to warn me, but it doesn't help! Not just with this movie, I always think it's hard to stop reading in the middle of a post of even sentence.
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Same here. sad

I simply won't say a single thing other than 'meta-views', i.e. my own thoughts and ideas (and no comments on plot, scenes or dialogue), until the better part of the regulars here has seen the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay! I hereby swear not to give anything away!

Better? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    Yeah, you´re right. It´s hard to stop if you´re already reading...

...some more bits then... as an appetizer... totally harmless, nothing you don´t already know, I guess...

- I like this movie better than Last Crusade...

- Yes, it has silly moments, but they are not sillier than most of the stuff in Last Crusade

- Paranormal stuff happens, like it did on any Indiana Jones movie; it just goes in a different direction than we´re used to; for some this might feel awkward, but I had absolutely no problem with it and found they handled it very well...

- It´s an interesting mix between classic and CGI effects, not always seamless, but that´s part of the charm of the series.

- I was so fixed upon the movie that I didn´t notice anything spectacular regarding to the score. The End Credits Suite felt... strange... it was quite hard to connect to the new themes. The different Raiders March bit near the end was... interesting.

- Yes, Indy´s got old. They refer to it, they play with it, but he´s our hero, still capable of amazing stuff, and it doesn´t feel strange in the movie. There are some stunts by Shia that I have more problems with; they were the kind of impossible stunts you´re used to see from Lucas, but not too bad. Not Jedi bad, if you know what I mean, just... impossible.

- The archaeological story is okay and definitely not what this movie is about. This is as much a personal story as Last Crusade was. And I thought it was done way better than in Last Crusade.

So my personal advice: Don´t set your expectations too high, and you´ll have fun. Lots of. Indiana Jones always was about the incredible adventures of a guy who survives any peril, pure pulp. And this movie is bathed in pulp. The good one, I think. So be prepared for a fun ride. It´s a sequel totally in line with what came before. They wanted to make an Indiana Jones movie that fits into the series, and not something bigger or better. And I think this is why they succeded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    Saw the film last night and here are some of my thoughts (no spoilers):

I really enjoyed it, but I can understand why some die hard Indy fans might hate it. It is quite a bit different in many ways to the previous films. Overall though, I thought it was a nice return for Indy, and it was cool to see him on the big screen for the first time (I was not even one-year-old when The Last Crusade came out).

The tone of the film is much closer to The Last Crusade than Raiders with jokes and bits of silliness abound. Some people have been complaining about some moments of over-the-top action (particularly one bit near the beginning -- which I loved), but it's not like the action in the other films isn't over the top. There are a few times where you'll roll your eyes at the obvious Lucas absurdities, but they are few and far between.

Mutt is a fun new character and the interplay between him Indy and Marion is great and generates a lot of laughs. Irina is an interesting villain and it's obvious that Cate Blanchett had a lot of fun playing the role.

The score is very easily the weakest of the four. It's never bad, but it doesn't really shine either (except for a few wonderful moments). Contrary to early reports, the music is mixed just fine; it's just not that interesting most of the time.

Like Ralph said, don't set you expectations too high and try not to over analyze it like it so many people will. It's an Indy movie. It's supposed to be fun. Just let it be and I think you'll enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm a die hard Indy fan, but unlike most (I imagine) I actually want to see a 21st century take on the Indy franchise. I know I won't be disappointed partly because I'm not picky at all when it comes to these type of things... I like to think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just came back.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.
    Some great elements that work, some that don't at all.

Mostly I was entertained, but I'll join the critic that said it was "not bad, but not really necessary".
    I *loved* the ending by the way! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    A spoiler tag would be welcome, marking text invisible and only readble when selecting it.

Wants add who that to?
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    Wants add who that to?

Hä?! dizzy
  2. Martijn wrote
    Mostly I was entertained, but I'll join the critic that said it was "not bad, but not really necessary".

Necessary? No. But defintely not the ruin of the series like the prequels were.

The end of the archaeological plot or the end of the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote

Necessary? No. But defintely not the ruin of the series like the prequels were.

You're not wrong there! dizzy

The end of the archaeological plot or the end of the movie?

I really meant the former, but the latter certainly was OK too. smile

Bregt wrote
    A spoiler tag would be welcome, marking text invisible and only readble when selecting it.

Wants add who that to?

Lie down Bregt.
    Breathe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Just came back.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.
    Some great elements that work, some that don't at all.

What's great about it is Williams plays with the theme as though Mutt and Indy both have their sections in the orchestra, young vs. old and all that. Genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008
    Got back from the cinema too, great movie, lots of FUN. The score is heavily chopped and buried in pieces throughout the movie but the latter will keep you so entertained you'll almost forget about the music which - btw, sounds A LOT better on CD rather in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008 edited
    I also just returned, and I agree with Demetris: it's a lot of fun, but don't start comparing it to the previous films. Because then, you're missing a certain point. It just couldn't get that same vibe, which has to do also with the conditions in which the films are made and the time.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a film that plays with the fact it's a legendary hero on its return and just wants to have fun with the world it previously created. It results in a film thats extremely entertaining, with a direction thats, as always with Steven, way above modern directors' work (look at the detail of sight gags, or the way the set pieces are set up; the Jungle Chase is sheer brilliance and put a big smile on my face all the way through).

Ultimately, I just loved the fact it's once again the combination of Spielbergs masterful directing in combination with the oldfashioned Williams score, in a film thats not trying to be clever or controversial, but just wants to be a fun ride.
  3. BobdH wrote
    The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a film that plays with the fact it's a legendary hero on its return...

Do you mean that it's referencing the previous movies in a way that's saying "look Indy's back, he was great then and you (the audience) thought he was great and now he's back?"

[I've not really got the point I was trying to make written down hear.]

If this is the case, then it seems the movie's trying to be a bit clever.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a film that plays with the fact it's a legendary hero on its return...

Do you mean that it's referencing the previous movies in a way that's saying "look Indy's back, he was great then and you (the audience) thought he was great and now he's back?"

You could say that, yet I never felt it like that. It's just having fun with it wink

By the way, my local theatre screened it digitally. Which was something they were pretty excited about, but I couldn't help mentioning that Spielberg hates digital projection (he'll always shoot on film, he loves film, and he hates the digital look) and so do I. I was thinking real serious to cancel my reservation and take the 8 o'clock screening, since that one was on film, but took it anyway (since the digital projection was in the big theatre). But even though the picture was crystal clear, it didn't feel right, especially with Indy. And I hated the look of it, at times. Now I'm sure of it: let's boycot digital projection! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Got back from the cinema too, great movie, lots of FUN. The score is heavily chopped and buried in pieces throughout the movie but the latter will keep you so entertained you'll almost forget about the music which - btw, sounds A LOT better on CD rather in the film.

Glad to hear that D! I enjoyed what I could hear and noticed of the score, my friend went one further and said he thought the music was GREAT and how good it was to see Williams on board, we grew up together so ( through me ) he has quite a healthy knowledge of film music and it's many composers.

No spoilers here, all I'll say is that I was greatly entertained but agree with many of the above comments both possitive and negative.

I'm very intrigued to hear what Anthony thought about it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Just came back from seeing it... 30 minutes ago... I loved it! I likee it much more than the Last Crusade. It has fantastic iconic shots of Jones... a la Temple of Doom's poster art (the same as on the TOD soundtrack)... (Jones standing there in a cave or something) Made me smile. The "Part Time" shot is the one I am talking about among several others.

***minor spoilers***

Even got goosebumps moments...

The long shot of the interior of the governments warehouse... I liked that so much... because of the ending of Raiders. Now we finally are spending sometime inside that secret warehouse... how cool is that?

Loved the Russians, nice outfits... and they actually showed a Spetznas move (kind of Russian specialized forces, like Navy Seals) ... when the Russian male leader (who seems to approaching on his own) suddenly has several comrades appearing from behind him... that's a real move. I am not kidding! What I also liked is that the male lead Russian character is a Russian... or at least I think he IS Russian. Not sure... he looked 100 % Russian though.

Loved the Jungle chase (but minus "Tarzan Mutt", that was a bit lame and way too much) The Jungle chase looks almost the same as the chase in a PS3 game, Drake's Fortune... its has a similar car chase through the jungle... with cars chasing from behind, sides... it was fun to see the similarities. (great game btw)

Liked the score... nothing wrong with it. Solid score. Although there were no goosebump moments regarding the score.

I have a question for some "insiders"... who were those grave people wearing skull masks, acting like they were possesed or something? Were they guards, protecting the remains / secret of that Spanish explorer? Anyone knows?

Anyway... I liked it very much! (and I am a BIG fan... not joking)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Well, I hadn't planned on seeing it tonight but did finally end up seeing it a few hours back. I was left disappointed. It wasn't engaging or exciting for me at all. It looked like someone pumped a lot of money into Bollywood, added an enormous amount of special effects and threw away the songs.
    What worked for me in the previous films was that I was excited to see what Indy had in store for him at every twist and turn. Here I just didn't care. The ending makes Mission to Mars seem like a classic slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BobdH wrote

You could say that, yet I never felt it like that. It's just having fun with it wink

Oh, *I* would think so, though!
    There are numerous references to Raiders (and a few to Last Crusade, though none to Temple Of Doom I could discern), including two scenes that were almost shot-by-shot remakes!
    I *did* enjoy that! I felt it was a well-deserverd wink to the source!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    It looked like someone pumped a lot of money into Bollywood, added an enormous amount of special effects and threw away the songs.

I don't necessarily agree, but your analogy did make me laugh! biggrin