• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ouch and ouch... yeah, a bit of research might have helped... but those Russians are certainly knowing what a good joke is...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Yeah, well, ever since I watched a couple of Russian films labeled as comedies, which turend out to be dealing with dementia, alcoholism, domestic violence and suicide, I have had my doubts about the Russian sense of humour...

As far as research goes: meh. It's an Indy adventure. As long as it looks good, I'm happy.
    (If I want research, I'll read a book).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    Well, it doesn´t hurt my feelings either, but those are very harsh mistakes, I think. I guess for them it´s like putting the Eiffel Tower somewhere in the scottish highlands where Indy is then searching for Schloss Neuschwanstein.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    While interestingly most of the critics have embraced Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (IJATSTUPIDACRONYMS), apparently there have been one or two rather pointed and valid critiques....

Some things don't even need LOLcats. biggrin

IJATSTUPIDACRONYMS? biggrin cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    IJATSTUPIDACRONYMS? biggrin cool beer

Indiana Jones And The Secret Tomb Under Pizarro's Incan Deadly-Acronym-Creator Resurrected for Obsessiveness by Nautilus for Yet-another Mediaventures Score
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Ok, just saw this film.

I think 5 out of 10 is pretty fair.

The good:
    - Harrison Ford. Rueful as ever as the hero, and took on the age angle pretty well. I like the way he's become more of an academic over the years.
    - Shia LeBouf, even if his hair joke (which was funny once), is repeated ad infinitum.
    - The Harvard chase sequence was top stuff, though the motorcycle sliding under the tables began the movie's descent into completely impractical action sequences.
    - Ben Burt's sound design for the film was a thing of beauty. It was good to feel punches like that again.
    - Film wasn't too long. This is a good thing. (It did feel too long in the middle though...)
    - The shot of 'The Departure', with the valley swirling into a frenzy, was a great effect. (As was the atom bomb.)
    - John Williams' more original cues. In particular the sequence where Irina 'knows everything' ('The Secret Revealed') features a brilliant blend of her theme with the Crystal themes. This is the old contrapuntally-dense Williams we know and love. Good on Johnny also for making a whole concert suite out of what was essentially a 40 second section from the 'Jungle Chase' cue for Mutt. I am pleased to hear so much effort was made to find new musical opportunities and new themes in this film, especially given how many moments in the music rested on the laurels of the previous films.

The cute:
    - The Janitor from SCRUBS as a hard-nosed FBI agent. Nice casting joke there.

The bad:
    - The Jungle Chase - some great choreography in parts, but this is where the film really began to jump the shark. The tarzan thing - I'd say it has to be seen to be believed, but I've seen it and I still don't believe it. I was back in that Conveyer Belt sequence from ATTACK OF THE CLONES.
    - Ants. Why didn't we see a man's flesh eaten away by the ants? And why are these film-makers recycling sequences from THE MUMMY?
    - Cirque du Soleil Peruvian Indians. Circus acrobatics are not scary. This felt like BATMAN RETURNS at one point.
    - TALKING about EXPOSITION in an INFORMATIVE before EXPOSITING more TALK. There was a lot of talking in this film. A lot of exposition about something that wasn't very interesting.
    - Where was the suspense?
    - Bit of CGI eh? It led them to take the action sequences to ridiculous places they shouldn't have gone. ( Like in a car over a cliff, into a tree, and then down to water's level... when the film makes PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2 seem light on CG, we're in dangerous waters.
    - Ray Winstone was pretty uninteresting. If they wanted there to be any surprise when he turns on them one last time, they should have cut those shots of Cate Blanchett finding tracking markers left by Mac. Who else were we meant to think was betraying them? Mutt?
    - John Hurt was not successfully made the humourous mad man he might have been.
    - 'They're from the space between spaces.' YSHWEFWEH?!?!?!! Note to David Koepp: THIS CHARACTER IS NO LONGER A RAVING MADMAN WHEN HE SAYS THIS.
    - 'I have to return it.' The main character's motivation materialises out of nowhere.
    - In RAIDERS, we only really learn the power of the Ark in the final scene. In LAST CRUSADE, we only discover the Grail towards the end of the film. The mystique of these objects was well developed in advance of their appearance. The Crystal Skulls - in addition to being a fairly uninspiring prop - never felt that interesting. It's not John Williams' fault, as his music gives the things about as much mystique as he could. The prop itself and the way it constantly appears in the film is the problem here.
    - Johnny overused the Indy theme in this film. After its more sparing use in LAST CRUSADE, to hear the theme in its traditional arrangement so often in the film was a bit redundant. The literal quotes of earlier scores was a bit much too.
    - Fan fiction moments: Indy looks at photos of Marcus and his dad, cheesy wedding sequence, 'somewhere your grandfather is laughing'.

The Ugly
    - Janusz Kaminski, how was it that even when these characters were outdoors, they felt like they were indoors? That is very much in your department.

If they'd made this 15 years ago and worked off a better version of the script, it would have been reasonably good. Coming now, I don't see that this film needed to happen. I had some fun, but not enough given the talent assembled.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    Yep, fair critique there comrad Conrad!

Glad I enjoyed the ride on the second viewing.

Third best Indy film IMHO.
  3. Hilarious 'abridgement' of INDIANA JONES IV.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/indianajones4.html

It goes without saying that it's better than the movie!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ok, just saw this film.

I think 5 out of 10 is pretty fair...

Nice review, franz_conrad! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    ^ Did ya have to quote the whole review? rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Did ya have to quote the whole review? rolleyes

-Erik-

Well... rolleyes LOL Sorry, I didn't take the time after I posted to check how long the thing was! shocked I'll unquote most of it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Whew! Thanks!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Whew! Thanks!

wink

-Erik-

LOL A bit overwhelming, huh? biggrin
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Hilarious 'abridgement' of INDIANA JONES IV.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/indianajones4.html

It goes without saying that it's better than the movie!

Haha, funny as hell, in that state I could have enjoyed Indy 4 to some extent instead of the unfunny / uncool movie it's now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    You guys talk a lot! wink

Despite a couple of flaws, I thought this was a wonderful adventure film that fits in with the other INDY films quite well. Granted, I'm not the drooling INDY fan like many others here - and I still stand by my assertion that 90% of the nay-sayers' value judgements are coloured by nostalgia - but I thought Spielberg captured exactly what he wanted to capture. And he captured me for two hours as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    Hey, I'm a drooling Indy fan with judgments coloured by nostalgia and I still enjoyed it! (Perhaps that was the exact reason I enjoyed.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Hey, I'm a drooling Indy fan with judgments coloured by nostalgia and I still enjoyed it! (Perhaps that was the exact reason I enjoyed.)

You're no nay-sayer, then! Good for you. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    When I saw it the second time though, I couldn't help but notice that when Blanchett said "Dr. Jones" her Russian accent disappeared completely. It sounded really weird. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Despite a couple of flaws, I thought this was a wonderful adventure film that fits in with the other INDY films quite well. Granted, I'm not the drooling INDY fan like many others here - and I still stand by my assertion that 90% of the nay-sayers' value judgements are coloured by nostalgia - but I thought Spielberg captured exactly what he wanted to capture. And he captured me for two hours as well.

The beginning... excellent. Spalko... great as well. After the motorcycle chase... downhill! It was an average adventure movie. The problem is Raiders, Temple and Last Crusade aren't average adventure films. They are millions of miles ahead of Crystal Skull in almost every department. That's why it was disappointing. Spielberg and the rest (save Harrison Ford because he was on the ball) misfired.

Concerning nostalgia - that was one of major problems I had with the film. Winking and tipping the cap to the other three films so often. It's as if they couldn't make this movie without saying "See, this is how awesome the other movies were so here is that line again from Last Crusade that you liked so much." David Keopp... you suck!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    When I saw it the second time though, I couldn't help but notice that when Blanchett said "Dr. Jones" her Russian accent disappeared completely. It sounded really weird. biggrin

The character itself is weird. Any of the villains of "Walker - Texas Ranger" has more charisma than Blanchett´s Spalko.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

The character itself is weird. Any of the villains of "Walker - Texas Ranger" has more charisma than Blanchett´s Spalko.
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

The beginning... excellent. Spalko... great as well. After the motorcycle chase... downhill!

Exactly where I felt it started to suck too.

One thing that felt really out of place was the "sequel" script. Odd lines like, "You know me - always trying to help!" felt really out of place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Concerning nostalgia - that was one of major problems I had with the film. Winking and tipping the cap to the other three films so often. It's as if they couldn't make this movie without saying "See, this is how awesome the other movies were so here is that line again from Last Crusade that you liked so much." David Keopp... you suck!

-Erik-

But you see, that's where the problem lies. They COULD have gone the route of NATIONAL TREASURE/Michael Bay to cater to contemporary kids and teenagers (which is fine in itself), but they decided to HONOUR the tradition and honour the audience that also consisted of older, 30-something year olds who wanted to relive the "adventure" feeling of the past, at least subconsciously. That's an impossible task. I think they solved it wonderfully - keeping the references that WE crave, keeping the B-movie feel that all the films had (with all kinds of weird, unbelievable stunts) and using contemporary resources, effects and editing pace to make it more contemporary. They also managed to squeeze in character development and character dynamics in there, and that's really all you could ask for. Yes, there were a couple of flaws, but nothing to detract from an overall enjoyable experience.

I'm fairly confident that in 15 years time (or even less), it will find its place alongside the three previous installments as an equal effort, because by that time nostalgia will colour value judgements even for THIS film. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

I'm fairly confident that in 15 years time (or even less), it will find its place alongside the three previous installments as an equal effort, because by that time nostalgia will colour value judgements even for THIS film. smile

HELL NO! I can't even think of a great line to quote from the film and there are millions from the other three that were instantly engraved into my mind after the first few viewing. Seriously, I've seen the new one a bunch of times now and I can't think of one really solid line that completes with the others. And the biggest problem I had with the movie - as pointed out before - is there is no geniun excitment or suspense. The films goes through the paces and really fails as an Indiana Jones film. I've even seen fan films that kick the crap out out of the fourth film.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    HELL NO! I can't even think of a great line to quote from the film and there are millions from the other three that were instantly engraved into my mind after the first few viewing. Seriously, I've seen the new one a bunch of times now and I can't think of one really solid line that completes with the others. And the biggest problem I had with the movie - as pointed out before - is there is no geniun excitment or suspense. The films goes through the paces and really fails as an Indiana Jones film. I've even seen fan films that kick the crap out out of the fourth film.

Well, I'm not sure memorizing lines is a prerequisite for a good film (a bonus from clever dialogue writing, perhaps), but I also think they will come in time, once it has gone its rounds on DVD and whatnot.

As for suspense....I don't know, I don't think any of the films were particularly suspenseful to begin with. They're too tongue-in-cheek for that. I saw the first film when I was 11-12 years or thereabouts (on VHS in the late 80's), and I didn't take it particularly serious even then. Were they wonderful thrills? Yes, certainly. But it was more a superficial entertainment than, say, ALIEN, which was a film that went DIRECTLY to my emotional core when my dad allowed me to stay up for it on TV at about the same age.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    As for suspense....I don't know, I don't think any of the films were particularly suspenseful to begin with. They're too tongue-in-cheek for that. I saw the first film when I was 11-12 years or thereabouts (on VHS in the late 80's), and I didn't take it particularly serious even then. Were they wonderful thrills? Yes, certainly. But it was more a superficial entertainment than, say, ALIEN, which was a film that went DIRECTLY to my emotional core when my dad allowed me to stay up for it on TV at about the same age.

Just wondering if you are watching the same film as us. The thrills in Raiders were indeed suspenseful. Indy hanging on for dear life to a vine while the stone wall closes in the Idol's Temple. Indy's hanging off the side of the Nazi's truck after being thrown out the window. The opening of the Ark for God's sakes! I was on the edge of my seat. Those are just a few examples. How about the entire final 30 minutes of Temple of Doom INCLUDING the incredibly suspensful bridge sequence. Indy completing the three challenges at the end of Last Crusade. Shall I go on?

And what did we have in Crystal Skull that matches this suspenseful thrills? Nothing. Not ONCE did I feel like Indy was in danger... except for maybe Doom Town but that was just utterly stupid!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Errrr...sorry, what was Doom Town again?
    The graveyard?
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Errrr...sorry, what was Doom Town again?
    The graveyard?
    confused

The town that gets obliterated by the atom bomb!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah! Of course! smile

(Boom Town, then, rather wink )