• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007 edited
    Don't get me started...

Spielberg still has it.... never lost it! Well, except for Always, Hook and The Terminal. :shudder:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    The Terminal? I LOVE that film! Okay, it's a bit silly, but it's got some great performances by Hanks and Stanley Tucci. Just a nice warm and fuzzy little film with a wonderful score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What bothered me about The Terminal is that it's a film that ANYONE could have made. Sure, it have a few Spielberg signature shots and what not but it seemed a bit underneath what Spielberg is known for. He is much better than The Terminal.

But with that said I do have the very expensive 2 disc Collectors Edition of the movie. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    and War of the worlds :doubleshudder:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote

I was having no problem with War of the Worlds until the stupid happy ending. Those awful final 5 minutes ruined what was a GREAT sci-fi adventure thriller.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I was having no problem with War of the Worlds until the stupid happy ending. Those awful final 5 minutes ruined what was a GREAT sci-fi adventure thriller.

-Erik-

Yeah it was a lame ending.

despite some MASSIVE plot holes it's still an entertaining film with, what is IMO Williams best score in some time, just felt that Spielberg was on autopilot on this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Spielberg never failed to blow my mind. I love his movies dearly.

Even the crap ones? biggrin

Those I don´t watch. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Wow! I didn't realize Indy 4 will be realeased in 4 months!

I bought the trilogy, finally. And Temple of Doom is a very silly film but still pretty dam fun, but My favourite one is without any doubt the Last Crusade! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

I bought the trilogy, finally. And Temple of Doom is a very silly film but still pretty dam fun, but My favourite one is without any doubt the Last Crusade! beer

I'm with you on that one, Last Crusade is just such great fun.

I have to say though that my original viewing of Raiders Of The Lost Ark when it was released in Cinemas just blew my f*****g socks off! At that time it set a new standard for action / adventure films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I'm with you on that one, Last Crusade is just such great fun.

I have to say though that my original viewing of Raiders Of The Lost Ark when it was released in Cinemas just blew my f*****g socks off! At that time it set a new standard for action / adventure films.

Yeah! the only one who i saw in the theater was the last crusade, because I was too young for the other ones.

Raider and the last was my most watched movies (with Aliens and Back to the future) in my youth. I remember play again and again this 2 movies recordeds from television, so now with widescreen, no Tv logo, no comercials and Digital quality are just.....WOW!

Temple of the Doom, in other way, never was aired very much i the television and I didn't buy in VHS so I didn't watch this third chapter very much, and Now revisiting it I find some moments really annoying (too many the jokes with Willie character in the first 20 minutes, maybe Spierlberg wanted shoot too many scenes with his new "girl" ) but it still has amazing moments: the Mine chase and the darker approach!

I find the DVD with extras a little dissapointment, they are great for sure (Harisson and Steven are such a gunny guys, and you can notice kate and Steven chimestry in the productio footage) but they are not very long. I mean...If you compare the bonus disc with Alien, Aliens, Terminator 2 or Titanic....well....You know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Nautilus wrote

Definitely: Indi's father made it for me
    (for all who may not know its Sean Connery)

I was very dissapointed to hear he turned down Indi4
    and also that John Rhys-Davis is not going to be present either.
    haven't seen much of it though, but in my opinion, all the cast is
    too old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    bartley wrote
    Nautilus wrote

too old.

Well..Ford looks cool in the suite from the pictures, and Shia Labeouf it's a very charismatic actor.

My fear are because the great expectations. And BEcause it's not about the Atlantids (like the PC game) tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Nautilus wrote
    bartley wrote
    Nautilus wrote

too old.

Well..Ford looks cool in the suite from the pictures, and Shia Labeouf it's a very charismatic actor.

My fear are because the great expectations. And BEcause it's not about the Atlantids (like the PC game) tongue

Good point: the expectations are very high...
    I don't think they'll meet them
    but we'll see.
    Besides, I always love a suprise wink wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Spierlberg Said it will be a old fashioned movie, without CGI, but I only hope he use the good things of this technology to create great shots ( But, of course, I don't want an overuse of them).
    And I hope it will have a lot of action, and not be a friends reunion with more tendency for comedy (Like lethal Weapon 4).
    Another combination of comedy and action like "the last crusade" will be great!

It's 18 years from the last movie..How do you know will work in the box office? Im really curious about it.
    Spielberg even with Cruise is not a box office breaker like he was, Ford is not in the peak of his career and the audience is more familiar with "the mummy" and "Pirates of Caribbean".

I wonder if Kingdom of Skull could pass the 100 milion mark in 3 days at least.
  2. Well let's just say Indy 4 will appeal to the older boys amongst us, not the young 'uns who think Ford belongs in a retirement home. To me he's just as much Han Solo or Indy, as he was back in the day.

Spielberg takes his movie making very seriously and will not let us show any disappointment on our faces when the end credits roll by. I've never been disappointed by any film he made, at least the ones I saw... and I've seen quite a lot of 'em...

And who here says they don't like Hook. Oh man, this movie just is so heartwarming and beautiful I truly don't understand how anybody can have a hard time watching it. But the score is definitely 50% of the entertainment value, while 25% go to Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams, and the final 25% to the awesome production design. It's definitely one of my fave Spielberg flicks.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    It's 18 years from the last movie..How do you know will work in the box office? Im really curious about it.
    Spielberg even with Cruise is not a box office breaker like he was, Ford is not in the peak of his career and the audience is more familiar with "the mummy" and "Pirates of Caribbean".

I wonder if Kingdom of Skull could pass the 100 milion mark in 3 days at least.

Dood... it's the first Indiana Jones film in 18 years. There are legions of Indiana Jones fans all over the world who have been eagerly awaiting this next chapter in the Indy saga. This film is going to be HUGE!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well let's just say Indy 4 will appeal to the older boys amongst us, not the young 'uns who think Ford belongs in a retirement home. To me he's just as much Han Solo or Indy, as he was back in the day.

I've seen the films when I was a kid, and I've enjoyed most of them (well, the first two anyway). Sure, Ford still looks in shape but I think the fourth film should've been made a decade (or half decade) ago. I'm hoping that Spielberg will happily prove me wrong.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Ive enjoyed them also...for the since maybe the year 2001, so yes, alot of the fans will be the 'older boys' but there are alot of younger generation fans who love them for what they are: classics.
    However, in trying to add to an 18 year back trilogy (which is hard to break) they might be making a mistake. If its a flop.. people are gonna hate them. If its a hit, it'll make a really big hit, and more money than about any other film in the past three years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bartley wrote
    Ive enjoyed them also...for the since maybe the year 2001, so yes, alot of the fans will be the 'older boys' but there are alot of younger generation fans who love them for what they are: classics.
    However, in trying to add to an 18 year back trilogy (which is hard to break) they might be making a mistake. If its a flop.. people are gonna hate them. If its a hit, it'll make a really big hit, and more money than about any other film in the past three years.

It's Spielberg.....I have faith! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Hey, did you see Hook????
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bartley wrote

Hook is NOT Indiana Jones.

Indy has a formulae, well loved characters, thrills and spills and John Williams....can't lose! tongue punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    True, but Hook is Speilberg... just to show you that even the best can make mistakes wink wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Robin Williams and the Lost Boys were liabilities. Hoffman, Hoskins, the rest of the cast, the absolutely fabulous set design and Williams' impeccable scores were all clear winners.
    While not my favourite Spielberg, it's miles over a snoozer like Always.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "Here's what Steven Spielberg - director of such films as Always and 1941 - has to say on the matter.."

One of the many classic quotes from South Park. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    South Park - for when you need your cynicism in the form of small cut-out pieces of paper.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I don't mind if Indiana Jones features Spielberg copping out in terms of family relationships. The previous installments have a strong moral agenda, and there's nothing wrong with being consistent with that. In WOTW, he set up a situation with dramatic stakes that were seriously inconsistent with his desired outcome of the story. For all that, the first 85% is a top film with a few logical plotholes that are easy to overlook, with some of his most spectacular film-making in years.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    South Park - for when you need your cynicism in the form of small cut-out pieces of paper.

Like I said earlier in some thread, can't stand the animation but it does make me laugh!
  4. bartley wrote

Oh Common, Hook is a brilliant picture. Its a different take on Peter Pan, but Dustin Hoffman is fabulous, the score is probably one of the best and most touching ever written and the hand of the director is all over the place. I just can not believe that so many place this one as one of the wordt Spielberg ever made. To me its right up there, alongside all his other classics.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    bartley wrote

Oh Common, Hook is a brilliant picture. Its a different take on Peter Pan, but Dustin Hoffman is fabulous, the score is probably one of the best and most touching ever written and the hand of the director is all over the place. I just can not believe that so many place this one as one of the wordt Spielberg ever made. To me its right up there, alongside all his other classics.

Well, Robin Williams acting like a lil kid was pretty wierd for starters... and the rest of it was just lame.
    (have you found your happy though??) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bartley wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    bartley wrote

Well, Robin Williams acting like a lil kid was pretty wierd for starters... and the rest of it was just lame.
    (have you found your happy though??) wink

Could have been worse, there were widespread rumors at the time it was being made that Michael Jackson was going to star shocked