• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    I'm the biggest Spielberg fan in the world, but I recognize a miss when I see it. 1941, anyone?

1941 is definitely not a miss, in between all the chaos lies brilliance, I loved it very much
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Nah, I'm crazy about Spielberg too obviously, simply because he's produced some magnificent films in his time. But that certainly doesn't mean I love every film he's done! Crystal Skull was a pretty poor movie, of which I'm sure Lucas and Spielberg are certainly to blame.

'ALWAYS' vomit

At least Crystal Skull is worth another watch, yes it is a poor movie but look at the standard it had to follow?

indeed, now Always that was a bore
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm the biggest Spielberg fan in the world, but I recognize a miss when I see it. 1941, anyone?

1941 is definitely not a miss, in between all the chaos lies brilliance, I loved it very much

Which is your birthright.

I have it on DVD also, but I definitely have to be in the mood for it. It's so noisy, I almost have to wear earplugs to watch it.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

Which is your birthright.

I have it on DVD also, but I definitely have to be in the mood for it. It's so noisy, I almost have to wear earplugs to watch it.

the only thing that bothers me, it is too long to watch it again and again, but that second part I would watch again and again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    omaha wrote
    Upon my first view, I knew that everything I hated in the film was due to Lucas. Spielberg just needs to tell him to f*** off and do another star war CGI fest. Oh, and Shia's character (if not Shia), needs to tragically die between the films.

Speilberg is faaaaar from innocent. He was the one that planned out each and every BORING action sequence in that film during pre-production. Spielberg has a lot more control on the Indy sets then you give him credit for.

-Erik-

People generally seem to let Spielberg go off any accusations. He has that God status who can never do wrong or something wink I have no special opinion on it, i am rather neutral 'cause i am neither a Spielooney or hater, but still;

It's quite funny seeing this after my remark over in the PUBLIC ENEMIES camp.
    Truly though, I wish I had his talent. But if I had it, I hope I would spend it more carefully.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    omaha wrote
    Upon my first view, I knew that everything I hated in the film was due to Lucas. Spielberg just needs to tell him to f*** off and do another star war CGI fest. Oh, and Shia's character (if not Shia), needs to tragically die between the films.

Speilberg is faaaaar from innocent. He was the one that planned out each and every BORING action sequence in that film during pre-production. Spielberg has a lot more control on the Indy sets then you give him credit for.

-Erik-

People generally seem to let Spielberg go off any accusations. He has that God status who can never do wrong or something wink I have no special opinion on it, i am rather neutral 'cause i am neither a Spielooney or hater, but still;

I am also huge of Steven Spielberg. I never missed any of his movies. But i was disappointed with his film Indy 4. One of the worst Spielberg film forever. 1941 was another comedy film which i don't much appreciate it. In fact, it was boring one.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

punk

-Erik-

It's a bizarre film in Spielberg's canon but very watchable, I'd love to see it again. When I saw Williams in concert he performed Swing, Swing, Swing cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Yeah, 1941 is a bizarre creature, somehow it gets better over time, in contrast to Always, Hook, and Indy 4 though, which get worse and worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I am really a 1941 apologist (mostly owing to Williams raucous score, but the fantastic action sequences. maddening pace, and the sheer abundance of guest stars help a lot), but Hook has always frustrated me: the first twenty minutes are so are so damn good that the Goonies Mark 2 follow-up seems worse than it may be.
    I could stand to see that film again though. And again the score is FANTASTIC.

Interestingly the film I dislike most in that list is Always, the wonderful love Audrey Hepburn love notwithstanding...and it's also Williams' most insepid score! I guess music is a bigger component than I first thought.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas, a question; is there anything you actually DON'T like? wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I could imagine he's not too fond of you? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    My least-liked Spielberg movies:

The Lost World - Jurassic Park
    War of the Worlds
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I know, I know... still, it bores me to death...)

The rest are either good, very good or classics!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooh, controversial stuff there!
    Let me add some fuel to the fire: I love 1941 and The Lost World, but I'm completely with you on the last two.

The War Of The Worlds seemed hollow to me. I fully realize what Spielberg was trying to do (describing the actions from an observer on the ground, like in the original novel), but it just didn't gel for me (aside from some truly spectacular apocalyptic images: loved the initial lightning invasion, the burning train and the tripods tackling the ferry).

Aside from the amazing 5 notes, I never liked anything about Close Encounters.
    Two hours watching a bloke mucking about with mud. A very tough and avantgarde score to accompany it.
    Sure, the final light show looks great, but the pay-off for me is too little too late.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    The War Of The Worlds seemed hollow to me. I fully realize what Spielberg was trying to do (describing the actions from an observer on the ground, like in the original novel), but it just didn't gel for me (aside from some truly spectacular apocalyptic images: loved the initial lightning invasion, the burning train and the tripods tackling the ferry).

I agree. Although I did think the first half of the movie was excellent, particularly the intersection and ferry scenes.

Also, just to be extremely pedantic, it's "War Of The Worlds".
    No 'The' at the beginning for the Spielberg film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Yeah, it's a matter of some dispute between Steven and me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I agree. Although I did think the first half of the movie was excellent, particularly the intersection and ferry scenes.

Also, just to be extremely pedantic, it's "War Of The Worlds".

I really enjoyed War of the Worlds until the garbage Spielboogied ending! It made Robbie's powerful "sacrifice" scene a sham!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I really enjoyed War of the Worlds until the garbage Spielboogied ending! It made Robbie's powerful "sacrifice" scene a sham!

The only thing I truly DID enjoy was Ann Robinson's and Gene Barry's split second cameo.
    I never got what the hell that whole Robbie thing was about anyway: "lemme go, dad! I wanna die for no reason at all!" ..."Oh look, dad, I survived for no reason at all" <mega-shrug>
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    There was a fellow director a few years back (don't recall his name) that made a comment about Spielberg not being able to make good films anymore, but only good scenes. I for one think his worst films all have some kind of exceptional "set pieces" in them. In War of the Worlds, we have Kaminski's cinematography, Kahn's editing, and Williams' music that together create some of the most breathtaking audiovisual treats I've seen in science fiction, i.e. the "escape from the city" and "probing the basement" scenes. In Always, theres a brilliant night-scene (when Dreyfuss' character opens the fridge: great cinematographic pun!) that beautifully transitions to the quick bicycle scene and the whole "I love you" drowned out by the engine noise irony. The sense of pacing, the actors performances, the clever foreboding music by Williams, it was just an exceptionally great scene and textbook case in overall good collaboration between each of the disciplines. Hook especially had an overwhelming amount of great scenes, but they didn't really mount to anything in the end. I think A.I. also suffered from this "complex".
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Truly though, I wish I had his talent. But if I had it, I hope I would spend it more carefully.

Wise words!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    markrayen wrote
    There was a fellow director a few years back (don't recall his name) that made a comment about Spielberg not being able to make good films anymore, but only good scenes. I for one think his worst films all have some kind of exceptional "set pieces" in them. In War of the Worlds, we have Kaminski's cinematography, Kahn's editing, and Williams' music that together create some of the most breathtaking audiovisual treats I've seen in science fiction, i.e. the "escape from the city" and "probing the basement" scenes.

In Always, theres a brilliant night-scene (when Dreyfuss' character opens the fridge: great cinematographic pun!) that beautifully transitions to the quick bicycle scene and the whole "I love you" drowned out by the engine noise irony. The sense of pacing, the actors performances, the clever foreboding music by Williams, it was just an exceptionally great scene and textbook case in overall good collaboration between each of the disciplines. Hook especially had an overwhelming amount of great scenes, but they didn't really mount to anything in the end. I think A.I. also suffered from this "complex".

Sorry. I can't stand massive paragraphs. ^ tongue

Short attention span and all that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I always skip one-line entries.
    Obviously they're only there to jack up one's post count.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thanks Steven, I hate it when I do that! Do you accept credit cards or pay pal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Sometimes one line is all you need!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    markrayen wrote
    Thanks Steven, I hate it when I do that! Do you accept credit cards or pay pal?

Neither. I do however accept human sacrifices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

You're quite welcome to put mine back to 0 if you want! That's how much I don't care about post count. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

You're quite welcome to put mine back to 0 if you want! That's how much I don't care about post count. dizzy

DO IT!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    biggrin

Can you minus it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Can you minus it?

lol

-Erik-