• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'll continue to say this until the day I die, Hook is simply brilliant punk

nuff said smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'll continue to say this until the day I die, Hook is simply brilliant punk

nuff said smile

Not really but I will say this... I hated it when I first saw it on a Pan and Scan VHS. But when it came out on DVD - letterboxed - I for some reason found myself enjoying it more. It still has it's many, many problems but it's not a terrible movie... but it's not a brilliant pic by any means either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

nuff said smile

Not really but I will say this... I hated it when I first saw it on a Pan and Scan VHS. But when it came out on DVD - letterboxed - I for some reason found myself enjoying it more. It still has it's many, many problems but it's not a terrible movie... but it's not a brilliant pic by any means either.

-Erik-

I like it a lot, but I think a lot has to do also about the simply brilliant score John Williams has written for this movie. So due to the music I keep enjoying the charm and wit of this misunderstood fairytale adventure
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

nuff said smile

-Erik-

I like it a lot, but I think a lot has to do also about the simply brilliant score John Williams has written for this movie. So due to the music I keep enjoying the charm and wit of this misunderstood fairytale adventure

Mistold <-- That's not a word - but you know what I mean. Hook was a great idea but it was terribly executed. Like Martijn said the first 20 minute or so where oh so good! The Hooknapped sequence was brilliant executed!!! Once Peter lands in Neverland the film takes a tumble that it never recovers from.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The War Of The Worlds seemed hollow to me. I fully realize what Spielberg was trying to do (describing the actions from an observer on the ground, like in the original novel), but it just didn't gel for me (aside from some truly spectacular apocalyptic images: loved the initial lightning invasion, the burning train and the tripods tackling the ferry).

I agree. Although I did think the first half of the movie was excellent, particularly the intersection and ferry scenes.

Also, just to be extremely pedantic, it's "War Of The Worlds".
    No 'The' at the beginning for the Spielberg film.

I really enjoyed War of the Worlds until the garbage Spielboogied ending! It made Robbie's powerful "sacrifice" scene a sham!

-Erik-

Same here; great ride, rubbish ending. The score's a killer though.

Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Sorry. I can't stand massive paragraphs. ^ tongue

I always skip one-line entries.
    Obviously they're only there to jack up one's post count.

Sometimes one line is all you need!

-Erik-

Exactly, that thing about terse equals being wise? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mistold <-- That's not a word - but you know what I mean. Hook was a great idea but it was terribly executed. Like Martijn said the first 20 minute or so where oh so good! The Hooknapped sequence was brilliant executed!!! Once Peter lands in Neverland the film takes a tumble that it never recovers from. -Erik-

Perhaps story-wise, but there's so much beautiful going on in set design, music and overall over-the-top-ness(!) that you just can't help but be mesmerized.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mistold <-- That's not a word - but you know what I mean. Hook was a great idea but it was terribly executed. Like Martijn said the first 20 minute or so where oh so good! The Hooknapped sequence was brilliant executed!!! Once Peter lands in Neverland the film takes a tumble that it never recovers from. -Erik-

Perhaps story-wise, but there's so much beautiful going on in set design, music and overall over-the-top-ness(!) that you just can't help but be mesmerized.

I don't disagree! But no amount of beautiful cinematography or art direction is going to save this mess.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    For me Hook was a film that played a huge role in my childhood. I wore that VHS out. I agree that the film did fall upon the arrival to Neverland, but it is ultimately a kids movie. The score more than makes up for the film though. One of my favorites my Williams.

I just found out a couple of months ago that Glen Close was the pirate thrown into the "Boo Box". Also that Jimmy Buffet was among one of the first pirates Robin Williams came into contact with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    omaha wrote
    I just found out a couple of months ago that Glen Close was the pirate thrown into the "Boo Box". Also that Jimmy Buffet was among one of the first pirates Robin Williams came into contact with.

The Boo Box with Glenn Close

David Crosby is a pirate as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I don't disagree! But no amount of beautiful cinematography or art direction is going to save this mess.

-Erik-

HOOK is one of those films that can be enjoyed for production values alone, even though such a "solitary" pleasure may not be what they had intended.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

HOOK is one of those films that can be enjoyed for production values alone, even though such a "solitary" pleasure may not be what they had intended.

I agree... as stated above about my enjoying the film a lot more in the widescreen format. But it still doesn't erase how bad the movie actually is.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hook has a lot of great things going for it, which is why it makes it all the more surprising how bad it is. Great cinematography, great sets, GREAT music and an absolutely brilliant turn by Dustin Hoffman as Hook himself. For those reasons, it's worth watching - even if it is a pretty poor film.
  3. It's a rare film that can survive on production values... BLACK HAWK DOWN comes to mind.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good example. I find I don't feel involved with the characters or even the story of Black Hawk Down (in terms of its script, not the actual subject matter), but the production is magnificent to the Nth degree.

One to watch on Blu-Ray!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HOOK is rubbish! Production, cinematography etc values or what, I just found it incredibly tedious to watch.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. so I'm guessing only my brother and myself actually think highly of Hook
    oh oh, now I know what they're gonna say about this rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    so I'm guessing only my brother and myself actually think highly of Hook

Count me in, too! Hook is among my favourites by Spielberg. Yes, it is over-the-top, but it tells its tale about childhood and growing up beautifully, it never fails to touch me emotionally. And let me tell you, I wasn't even a child when it came out (I was 20 back then)!
  5. keky wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    so I'm guessing only my brother and myself actually think highly of Hook

Count me in, too! Hook is among my favourites by Spielberg. Yes, it is over-the-top, but it tells its tale about childhood and growing up beautifully, it never fails to touch me emotionally. And let me tell you, I wasn't even a child when it came out (I was 20 back then)!

I was thirteen, fourteen when I first saw it, but it still puts me to tears every single time shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    Shia LaBeouf: We botched the last Indiana Jones

The last time Shia LaBeouf came to Cannes, in 2008, it was to promote "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," the revival of the swashbuckling adventure franchise that went on to earn a whopping $787 million around the world. LaBeouf is back on the Croisette this weekend to flog "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," another revival of a classic from several decades ago. But he's not willing to forget about what he says were rampant problems with Indy 4 -- and he doesn't expect fans to, either.
    "I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished," LaBeouf said, explaining that this upped the ante for him before he began shooting the "Wall Street" sequel. "If I was going to do it twice, my career was over. So this was fight-or-flight for me."

LaBeouf said that he could have kept quiet, especially given the movie's blockbuster status, but didn't think the film had fooled anyone. "I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you've made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie." LaBeouf went on to say he wasn't the only star on the film who felt that way. "We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

LaBeouf added, "We need to be able to satiate the appetite," he said. "I think we just misinterpreted what we were trying to satiate."

Asked whether this was difficult to say, given his deep relationship with Spielberg, LaBeouf continued with the directness.

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ … lberg.html

I saw this on jwfan.net and though I'd share with you guys.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Shia LaBeouf:
    I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven

Damn i knew it. You sneaky Briton maintitler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds to me he's trying to ditch responsibilities off him, in face of the promotion for his new film:

"And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie."

Since he agreed to do it, and most importantly got a shitload of money for it, he's in it the responsibilities' roll as well.

But if he feels like answering for his film choices so far, then he has a lot to do so, not just for the Indiana Jones last instalment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    He said about the same thing about Transformers 2, it looks like he's got a desperate need to apologize for his latest films to 'save' his career. It feels a bit uncalled for - don't bite the hand that feeds you. He might be right about T2 (and given he's started work on part 3 while a lot of people are skeptical about the second, I could understand his motivations there), but this bashing of Indy 4 feels as too much. I liked the film a lot, by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I liked it too. Having said that, he sounds like a spoiled brat. Not to mention most of the times he acts like one as well; and he's pretty pretentious...he said the same thing about transformers yet he made 2 of them and got a shitload of money for them? Yeah; Mr.Shia, you're the one underestimating your audience's intelligence i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think he sounds like a spoiled brat. He sounds like he's being honest to me, which is quite nice. Transformers 2 and Indy 4 were pretty bad, and he's saying it like it is. Good for him I say.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I watched some of Crystal Skull last night since the DVD came out. The first 35 minutes a great, not perfect, but they blend the old stuff we love about Indy with the new 50's setting brilliantly. It's as soon as the motorbike chase is over it loses it's charm and becomes senile-old-man and annoying-kid go walking around some old tombs together. Oh look, they're father and son. Aliens! And crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol

Right on, Anthony!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile Indeed. Shia's role as the annoying brat is very spot on though.

In every movie he makes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I don't think he sounds like a spoiled brat. He sounds like he's being honest to me, which is quite nice. Transformers 2 and Indy 4 were pretty bad, and he's saying it like it is. Good for him I say.

And the rest of his filmographY? Let's take a look......hmm, yeah, with the exception of I, robot, the rest falls under the same label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Steven wrote

I agree totally. Very refreshing to hear someone talk like that in Schmoochy Hollywood, where people make a living out of kissing each other's asses.

Personally, I liked CRYSTAL SKULL, but recognize some of its shortcomings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I agree totally. Very refreshing to hear someone talk like that in Schmoochy Hollywood, where people make a living out of kissing each other's asses.

Personally, I liked CRYSTAL SKULL, but recognize some of its shortcomings.

He's not an outsider; he's inside and he's getting a shitload of money, both in the past but also his present and from what it seems in his future as well, from the very system he mocks. Don't you see the irony here?