• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just wondering if you are watching the same film as us. The thrills in Raiders were indeed suspenseful. Indy hanging on for dear life to a vine while the stone wall closes in the Idol's Temple. Indy's hanging off the side of the Nazi's truck after being thrown out the window. The opening of the Ark for God's sakes! I was on the edge of my seat. Those are just a few examples. How about the entire final 30 minutes of Temple of Doom INCLUDING the incredibly suspensful bridge sequence. Indy completing the three challenges at the end of Last Crusade. Shall I go on?

Sorry, but even at that early age I was aware of the type of film I was watching and that the hero was never in any "real" danger. The set-pieces were certainly adrenaline-inducing and spectacular, but it never had the impact on me that it apparently had on many of you. Still, I have the old 4DVD set and enjoy the films a lot. Just not that much more than the new film. It's all pretty even, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I agree with Erik, Crystal Skull has little to no memorable scenes under its hood, the action is over before it's begun and the story is ridiculous. In the other 3 there was always a very clear goal and a sense of mystery and wonder to the revelations as done by Indy and his company. As a spectator I was cheering for his heroics and feeling tense when he got himself in trouble. Now they try too hard to give the proceedings a meaning of existence, to the point I don't care. From someone who mastered the alien visit / invasion theme so well in his other movies, I was totally disappointed by Spielberg and the lack of a sense of magic and wonder for these extra-terrestrials. It's like you could replace them with ordinary monkeys and it wouldn't even matter one bit, except for how in the hell monkeys could ever build a spaceship, let alone ascend in one. And most of the characters are so uninteresting by now I've forgotten what they're supposed to represent. Even Shia Laboeuf is seriously underused and devoid of his typical wit he's shown in his other movies.

I don't think in 15 years time I will look back in fondness of this flick. I'll just keep saying to myself, it's a trilogy and Crystal Skull is like a whole new franchise with some bloke wearing a hat and a whip.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't think in 15 years time I will look back in fondness of this flick. I'll just keep saying to myself, it's a trilogy and Crystal Skull is like a whole new franchise with some bloke wearing a hat and a whip.

Yup!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    I must admit, I really love these lines from the film -
    Hit him....
    Who?
    Joe College, hit him hard !

I think they're delivered great and come on, who doesn't want to see any kind of 'Joe College' getting smackerood right in the kisser punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote

We'll see...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Errrr...sorry, what was Doom Town again?
    The graveyard?
    confused

The town that gets obliterated by the atom bomb!

-Erik-

No suspense here though, as you can't kill Indy off with a nuclear bomb in the first fifteen minutes...

How I do want the warehouse escape music. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Without the HORRIBLY tracked Indy theme from Raiders. I have no doubt that Williams began that piece with some exciting action material, bringing in the Indy theme just as he starts swinging towards Spalko's jeep but then cuts it off with long sustained brass whole note as Indy starts swinging backwards towards the truck (maybe add some falling strings as Indy starts swinging backwards) and crashes into the cab. No doubt there was some plucked strings as Indy says his line and then brass blasts, a la Airplane Fight, with cymbals as Indy knocks out the two Russians.... or at least that's what I would have liked to have heard. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Without the HORRIBLY tracked Indy theme from Raiders. I have no doubt that Williams began that piece with some exciting action material, bringing in the Indy theme just as he starts swinging towards Spalko's jeep but then cuts it off with long sustained brass whole note as Indy starts swinging backwards towards the truck (maybe add some falling strings as Indy starts swinging backwards) and crashes into the cab. No doubt there was some plucked strings as Indy says his line and then brass blasts, a la Airplane Fight, with cymbals as Indy knocks out the two Russians.... or at least that's what I would have liked to have heard. wink

-Erik-

Slightly OT but I wonder who's idea it was to place the Jurassic Park fanfare into the scene where the T-Rex saves them from the Raptors at the end of JP? I always thought that was horribly cheesy and misplaced.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Slightly OT but I wonder who's idea it was to place the Jurassic Park fanfare into the scene where the T-Rex saves them from the Raptors at the end of JP? I always thought that was horribly cheesy and misplaced.

I liked it. Actually, I loved it! For so long the T-Rex had been the villain of the movie, but right at the end it actually turns out to be the hero. Fantastic! I couldn't have picked a better piece of music for that end scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

I liked it. Actually, I loved it! For so long the T-Rex had been the villain of the movie, but right at the end it actually turns out to be the hero. Fantastic! I couldn't have picked a better piece of music for that end scene.

How about what was originally composed for it? tongue

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Rex should have chomped up the actors leaving the Raptors to shrug they're shoulders and look elaswhere! biggrin

The JP theme sounded "inserted" to me, didn't like that bit at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Nah. Keep it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Rex should have chomped up the actors leaving the Raptors to shrug they're shoulders and look elaswhere! biggrin

The JP theme sounded "inserted" to me, didn't like that bit at all.

Which is was. The original unaltered cue is on the soundtrack album.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Nah. Keep it. biggrin

Erik, have you ever done a match to the scene with the original music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...It probably does work very well. I don't really mind either way, but the way it is has never been a problem for me.

Difference in opinion in film music seems quite insignificant to me whenever I've recently been in a religious debate! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Yup... works just fine. I'll try and rip the DVD and post a video for you to see with the unaltered track inserted in.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup... works just fine. I'll try and rip the DVD and post a video for you to see with the unaltered track inserted in.

-Erik-

That would be much appreciated smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

I must say though - Flight From Peru, imo, is the best cue ever written for any movie, and this is the one time where I've gone against my opinion of hating ALL tracking. But in this case it didn't annoy me...I didn't exactly like it, but it didn't annoy me!

What annoyed me was how Williams actually made me CRINGE at the Indy theme/another Flight From Peru rip-off in The Journey To Akator. Those damn woodwinds and rising strings, f**k off, it sounds awful! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Steven wrote
    ...It probably does work very well. I don't really mind either way, but the way it is has never been a problem for me.

Difference in opinion in film music seems quite insignificant to me whenever I've recently been in a religious debate! biggrin

Here finally goes one of your lifetime's dreams! Have you checked it with a tick as being done? wink tongue kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Here finally goes one of your lifetime's dreams! Have you checked it with a tick as being done? wink tongue kiss

Will I ever tick off logic and reason, science and fact, as being done? Ha. Good one, very funny. biggrin (I'm just as passionate about applying these things to many other things than just religion believe it or not.)
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    Anthony wroteWhat annoyed me was how Williams actually made me CRINGE at the Indy theme/another Flight From Peru rip-off in The Journey To Akator. Those damn woodwinds and rising strings, f**k off, it sounds awful! vomit

I actually really enjoy this version, two particular points I love though are at about 0.50 there is a two bar build up that has a great 3 note string figure preceding the raiders statement and then at 1.06 there is a little piccolo note that I just think is splendid biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    What annoyed me was how Williams actually made me CRINGE at the Indy theme/another Flight From Peru rip-off in The Journey To Akator. Those damn woodwinds and rising strings, f**k off, it sounds awful! vomit

I can't see how you don't like that. confused I think that part sounds great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote

I kinda liked that idea too, though the original cue was good too.

Anyone else was furious they left the T-Rex Jeep Chase cue off the album?? angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote

This part, and the "comical" version of the theme in "A Whirl Through Academe" actually make me cringe. It's so not what I want to hear. vomit
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote

Anyone else was furious they left the T-Rex Jeep Chase cue off the album?? angry

Yes! But here's a DVD rip of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote

This part, and the "comical" version of the theme in "A Whirl Through Academe" actually make me cringe. It's so not what I want to hear. vomit

A Whirl Through Academe isn't one of my favorite tracks... Much too 'modern day Williams'-sounding, I think.
  2. VERY interesting info about George and Steven tearing the movie into different directions...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37686
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    “Really, with the last one, Steven wasn’t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one.

I’m in the future; Steven’s in the past. He’s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I’m trying to push it to a whole different place.”

I bloody hate George Lucas. There's our answer as to why it sucked. rolleyes crazy kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    I'm not Lucas's biggest fan either.
  3. Clearly there wasn't enough ludicrous CGI in the film... And if it hadn't been for Lucas, we probably wouldn't have got what we did. rolleyes
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am