• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    For those not familiar with "Charlie bit me" here goes-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM

It's a popular internet video that has had more that 47 million views. In other words, the theme for this game is that the clips are from movies about kids (mostly).

You get 2 points for each clip (composer and movie) and for the bonus clips the points are doubled (max of 44 points in this game). As usual send your guesses by PM. I'll probably keep this running until next weekend.

Let me know if you have any difficulty in downloading the clips from
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/Q01FN … bEJFQlE9PQ

The 18 clips are in chronological order

Hints (updated)

#1 The evil kid in this movie keeps practising (or rather pounding) the French folk song Au Claire de la Lune. Together with the dissonant theme it is "the musical equivalent of the image of innocence hiding a cold murderer". There's a big composer signature giveaway in the last few seconds.

#2 A well-known classic (book, film and score). The composer scored the film as seen from the viewpoint of the children in this story of racial injustice.

#3 A few years before this the director made a creepy, psychological thriller about a governess and two kids. He returns to somewhat similar territory in this film. As they say... the children's story that is not for children.

#4 What's a game on kids without a lullaby? And who else but a legendary composer for this haunting film?

#5 The kid here is in the center of a custody battle. This score by an obscure Australian composer was released by a label known for its limited edition club releases.

#6 Another clip from this appeared in Thomas' recent game. No score release except for this cue on a compilation, and a suite from a re-recording.

#7 A child is kidnapped and someone is out with a vengeance to get her back. You might be more familiar with the 2004 remake of this film.

#8 No clue required for this popular movie, with a score by everyone's favorite composer.

#9 In the 1970s this country had an epidemic of kidnappings. This innocent kid from a family of criminals is on the run. The composer's first and last name end with the same vowel.

#10 Bored at her aunt's place, this orphan girl makes an exciting discovery (don't tell anyone!) while exploring outside.

#11 This fun remake of a film involves twins who swap places.

#12 The last few seconds should be a giveaway. If not then look to the far-east for a composer who loves to use the piano.

#13 This composer is more known for an acclaimed film he did with an Italian actor who likes to clown around (even at the award shows). There's a lingering sense of nostalgia and sadness in this cue for the movie about a family coping with the death of their son.

#14 Yet another clip that doesn't need a clue. Just drive away.

#15 Like the movie in the previous clip, there's a marriage in the climax that needs to be stopped. A lot of mischievous kids need a kind caretaker to show them the way.

#16 A model plane comes alive and is the connection to this boy's dead father. A beautiful score by a French composer.

#17 France again! What a rapturous theme for boy scouts hiking on the Alps!

#18 Yet another French composer. A documentary for pregnancy around the world.

Bonus #1 (from 1977) Previously this girl terrified all and made heads turn. Here's a nice lullaby for her from someone who knows a thing or two about wordless vocals.
    For guilty pleasure you can also watch Bollywood's plagiarized take on this song at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxUw5c0uWgc

Bonus #2 (from 1986) A gorgeous work from an under-rated composer who has sadly taken very few film projects in the last 10 years (and none in the last 3). The movie is not about kids but the setting is in a school for the deaf.
  1. Cool, I'm getting the file now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Can't recognize anything! shocked Apart a D score and a TN score wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    For guilty pleasure you can also watch Bollywood's plagiarized take on this song at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxUw5c0uWgc

*dies laughing*

Peter (RIP)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

TN? Terry Nutkins!? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Sports movies and now movies featuring children. rolleyes

If there's any Bruce Broughton I'm done for.

Maybe 16 points - at best!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

I thought everyone would get #2 and #8 easily.

plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

*dies laughing*

Peter (RIP)

Ha ha! Wait until you hear another rip-off in the same movie, this time from a Polish composer.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sports movies and now movies featuring children. rolleyes

If there's any Bruce Broughton I'm done for.

Maybe 16 points - at best!!

Come to think of it I did try to put some Broughton but then my fondness for the Europeans (there are 8 of them here) meant that he has to sit this one out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    I updated/corrected the hints so do check them in the original post.

Alan pulls ahead with a great start but the game has only just begun.

FalkirkBairn 18 points spin
    The Grey Pilgrim 14 points
    Anthony 4 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008 edited
    Alan sets the bar very high with a top score and only two cues to get. Much respect and admiration goes to him for successfully identifying #17 which I think is the most friggin' gorgeous score in this whole game. punk
    Southall does splendid with only 1 set of guesses.
    Miya leaves The Grey Pilgrim behind with more correct guesses.

But where are the other players? Will Franz take a break from his self-imposed exile from these games? Where are Peter, Timmer, Demetris...?

FalkirkBairn 40 points crazy
    Thomas Glorieux 29 points dizzy
    Southall 27 points spin
    Miya 18 points cool
    Ranietz 16 points
    Anthony 4 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Ouch. I edited the previous post instead of making a new post. I lost the previous set of scores but anyway...
  3. Bump!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bump!

Yes indeed! It certainly looks like interest in these games has exponentially decreased. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bump!

Yes indeed! It certainly looks like interest in these games has exponentially decreased. sad

You got 7 participants in 3 days! I think that's pretty decent. Look at the other games, some didn't even get 7 people in the whole game.

I plan to try it out, so you'll at least reach 8.

Peter wink

PS.I'm also working on a rather silly game of my own. Not sure when it will be ready though.
  4. Sent my guesses in smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bump!

Since score updates were being made in old posts and not new ones the thread was falling way down the list of topics. A "bump" just put it back to the top of the pile.
  6. Just sent in my guesses, but there's no need for panic Alan, or even Thomas for that matter...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Ok time for another score update. Alan needs to get only #16 to complete the game. Meanwhile zirael makes a stunning entry to 2nd place but within reach of Alan.
    Pawel settles down nicely in the middle with just his first guess. DreamTheater needs to double his score if he is to beat his bro.

FalkirkBairn 42 points crazy
    zirael 38 points shocked
    Southall 27 points spin
    PawelStroinski 26 points biggrin
    Miya 18 points cool
    Ranietz 16 points
    DreamTheater 15 points cheesy
    Anthony 4 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    I'll probably let this run for a couple more days to let folks like Peter submit their guesses.

Who's on for the next game? Anyone have something ready?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    BhelPuri, I don't have internet connection at home. crazy I'm using one of my uni's pooters for the moment, but there's no sound on it. sad I hope to restore connection at home on monday, but feel free to end the game, as I don't want everybody to wait for me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri, I don't have internet connection at home. crazy I'm using one of my uni's pooters for the moment, but there's no sound on it. sad I hope to restore connection at home on monday, but feel free to end the game, as I don't want everybody to wait for me.

Peter smile

It looks like no one has a game ready as yet, so I'll let this carry on till Monday. Until then if anyone wants to submit more guesses they are welcome to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    I can post a new game on Monday, almost done editing the clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    zirael wrote
    I can post a new game on Monday, almost done editing the clips.

Great! I'll post the answers to this game sometime Monday evening (US time).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bumpity bump. Southall moves up to 3rd place. Nine hours left before the answers...

zirael 38 points shocked
    Southall 35 points spin
    Miya 18 points cool
    Ranietz 16 points
    Anthony 4 points
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes!! Last place!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HA! ENjoy your place mister 'cause this time i ain't playing!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. BhelPuri wrote
    Bumpity bump. Southall moves up to 3rd place. Nine hours left before the answers...

zirael 38 points shocked
    Southall 35 points spin
    Miya 18 points cool
    Ranietz 16 points
    Anthony 4 points

damn you Southal, for once I was holding the bronze biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008 edited
    Southall surprises Alan and takes over the lead. Peter does admirably well with only one guess and joins Thomas. And Bregt scores four times as much as Demetris would have scored if he had played. wink
    Answers in 30 minutes when I get home.

Southall 43 points spin
    zirael 38 points shocked
    plindboe & Thomas Glorieux 29 points dizzy
    Miya 18 points cool
    Ranietz 16 points
    Bregt 12 points biggrin
    Anthony 4 points
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    C'mon Alan, you've got a last few minutes to make a desperate charge!!!! crazy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008 edited
    Ok. So those were the final scores. Southall wins by a whisker! But kudos to all the players. punk

Here are the cd covers of the albums in this game-
    http://i35.tinypic.com/jp7b4o.jpg

Answers
    1. Alex North - The Bad Seed (1956)
    2. Elmer Bernstein - To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
    3. Georges Delerue - Our Mother's House (1967)
    4. Jerry Goldsmith - Poltergeist (1982)
    5. Ray Cook - Careful He Might Hear You (1983)

6. Dave Grusin - The Goonies (1985)
    7. John Scott - Man on Fire (1987)
    8. John Williams - Home Alone (1990)
    9. Carlo Silotto - The Flight of the Innocent (1993)
    10. Zbigniew Preisner - The Secret Garden (1993)

11. Alan Silvestri - The Parent Trap (1998)
    12. Joe Hisaishi - Kikujiro (1999)
    13. Nicola Piovani - The Son's Room (2001)
    14. Thomas Newman - Lemony Snickets' A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)
    15. Patrick Doyle - Nanny McPhee (2005)

16. Gabriel Yared - L'Avion (2005)
    17. Frederic Talgorn - Les Aiguilles Rouges (2006) I hope folks will check this out
    18. Armand Amar - Le Premier Cri (2007)
    B1. Ennio Morricone - Exorcist II The Heretic (1977)
    B2. Michael Convertino - Children of a Lesser God (1986)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    5. Ray Cook - Careful He Might Hear You (1983)

I knew I must have had it somewhere! Should have been able to guess it. Such a lovely score.

Great game, Mr. Puri!

Peter punk