• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    This might make a interesting discussion here, and if it has already been discussed, sorry ( and being a new pup on the board I may come up with things that have been already chatted about). I refuse to compair them, I love them both for different reasons which Ill have to think about and give my responses later on.

Williams Superman vs Goldsmiths Supergirl, pros and cons.

sd smile

have FUN!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Damn. I was hoping you'd posted a link to a YouTube video. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isaac Asimov did a funny ( and very revealing ) short story about Superman and sex, believe me, Supergirl is the only being who'd not get killed by him. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    rolleyes Why bring FSM's dirty laundry over here?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Supes is iconic, and the film and score reflected that in abundance.
    Supergirl has always beena second-stringer, and it didn't help that the film was a stinker (even though I really like Helen Slater). That's what will forever keep Goldsmith's score in the shadow of Williams' work.

That aside, I honestly think the Superman theme is one of the best and recognizable themes in the world. Goldmsith's score, though amusing and interesting, doesn't have anything that comes near to that, which I think is a clever device by Goldsmith. Seems to me he was trying to avoid comparison from the get-go.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Isaac Asimov did a funny ( and very revealing ) short story about Superman and sex, believe me, Supergirl is the only being who'd not get killed by him. wink

Yeah, I remember that essay (not sure it was by Asimov though?).
    Gives the phrase "hole in the head" some particularly unpleasant connotations.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, I remember that essay (not sure it was by Asimov though?).
    Gives the phrase "hole in the head" some particularly unpleasant connotations.

biggrin

You may be right about "Asimov"? It could have been one of a number of famous Sci-fi writers who featured in the book, Harlan Ellison rings a bell too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think you could draw a similiar parallel between King Kong and my recent review of She from the same composer (Steiner). The fact that the movie (Supergirl) wasn't the success goes a long way. Superman, due to the tragedy of Christopher Reeves, and the John Williams theme put this one above and beyond even though the Goldsmith score was well done.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    It could have been one of a number of famous Sci-fi writers who featured in the book

It was: it was Larry Niven!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It could have been one of a number of famous Sci-fi writers who featured in the book

It was: it was Larry Niven!

Ahhhh! That figures! biggrin Him and Jerry Pournelle are funny writers. cool

In fact, didn't the two of them together write up the whole Star Wars weapons system for Ronny Reagan to believe? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    rolleyes Why bring FSM's dirty laundry over here?

-Erik-

Im not Erik, I just thought it was a interesting topic for discussion, Thats all, I dont consider this topic FSM dirty laundry.

Sorry Im just tired from a long day at work, but really this is hardly FSM dirty stuff.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    Actually I saw some of Moonie's posting on FSM. Yikes! Here is the scenario

Doctor: Stay away from sugar or you'll become diabetic
    Moonie: Ok Doc makes sense

As Moonie leaves the office he is munching on a Snickers thinking a little sugar will be ok.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008 edited
    Let me copy and paste my FSM reply on this topic:

"I had the Silva album of SUPERGIRL for many years, but played it maybe five times in total (few of which I managed all the way through in one sitting). In my opinion, it's one of those scores that managed to be both boring and annoying at the same time. Yes, there were a couple of highlights scattered about, and the main theme ain't too shabby, but that's it. I sold it on ebay a couple of months ago.

SUPERMAN is a classic score FULL of highlights and a great album (at least the original Warner release...the Rhino 2CD is overkill)."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Actually I do need to watch my sugar intake and Tom knows this. Somehow I feel Im fighting a loosing battle. No Cake ? guess Ill take my toys and go home.

sd smile

No Im not leaving this place wink I guess the powers that be can kill this thread, no more dirty stuff, Ill try to come up with something more original. dizzy
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Love you moonie you know that! How about Ironman vs 300 which is better?
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar

SUPERMAN is a classic score FULL of highlights and a great album (at least the original Warner release...the Rhino 2CD is overkill)."

Are you referring to the $10 Single Cd that is 70 minutes or so (and I think the content of 2 70's LP's back to back?)
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    sdtom wrote
    Love you moonie you know that! How about Ironman vs 300 which is better?
    Thomas smile

I actually really liked the Ironman score, 300 probably went very well with the movie but a hard listen by itself.

smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    tjguitar wrote

Are you referring to the $10 Single Cd that is 70 minutes or so (and I think the content of 2 70's LP's back to back?)

You want to talk about overkill , I have the one disc , the two disc and the Superman Box.

hehe
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tjguitar wrote

Yup, that's it. The one with the black cover and SUPERMAN logo in silver font.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sounds like myself and Big Country, King Kong, and other golden material. I don't even know what recording I have of Superman. Yikes!
    Thomas smile
  1. I'm a Superman fan and I truly think Williams' score is one of the finest film scores ever written, yet I think Goldsmith did a very good job with Supergirl, because the movie clearly didn't deserve such a fun ride, I mean it's hard to sit still while the main theme is playing. It's so over the top in its harmonics, yet beautiful and captivating at the same time I'm really excited every time I hear it.

But it doesn't compare to Williams' epic I agree. Superman comes with the most brilliant opening of film music of all time with nearly 25-30 minutes of unforgettable themes and fanfares that just crap over anything composed these past years. And Williams was only warming up at that moment...

And I love my FSM Superman box, for the added bonus of Superman II, which is equally great in my book.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm a Superman fan and I truly think Williams' score is one of the finest film scores ever written, yet I think Goldsmith did a very good job with Supergirl, because the movie clearly didn't deserve such a fun ride, I mean it's hard to sit still while the main theme is playing. It's so over the top in its harmonics, yet beautiful and captivating at the same time I'm really excited every time I hear it.

But it doesn't compare to Williams' epic I agree. Superman comes with the most brilliant opening of film music of all time with nearly 25-30 minutes of unforgettable themes and fanfares that just crap over anything composed these past years. And Williams was only warming up at that moment...

And I love my FSM Superman box, for the added bonus of Superman II, which is equally great in my book.

Indeed! Superman II is quite underrated and Ken Thorne did a fine job with arranging Williams music and everything.

SUPERMAN? Sublime!

As for SUPERGIRL I find much of the score a tad boring but that theme is utterly fantastic! punk
  2. Timmer wrote

Indeed! Superman II is quite underrated and Ken Thorne did a fine job with arranging Williams music and everything.

Sup II was actually the last of the unreleased scores I loved since seeing the movie while just a boy and I simply had to own. I'm glad I bought the box, it is more than a SUPER presentation of anything to do with the man of steel, music-wise.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.