• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    You haven't seen Transformers, D? Why? It's probably Bay's best.

You. don't. like. giant. Robots?

....that turn into stuff like planes!? shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What? I love giant robots...

...that turn into stuff like planes. cool

How dare you accuse me of this! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    What? I love giant robots...

...that turn into stuff like planes. cool

How dare you accuse me of this! wink

My bad Anthony shame

I quoted it wrong, It was aimed at Demetris biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. @ Compass: As much as I think the Transformers effects are way more spectacular, a lot of people forget that The Golden Compass not only had a lot of beautiful and magnificent CGI environments, but also dozens, if not hundreds of animated animal daemons, most of them quite impressively done, especially their movements; the battle at the end had them all fighting each other... wolves against the other daemons, and it looked great. And think about that spectacular bear fight, all in the bright sun, and not one glitch. Compass is a special effect extravaganza, and I can totally understand why they got the award over Transformers.
  2. Well if I was even slightly interested while watching The Golden Compass I would have marveled at those supposedly marvelous CGI beasties, but I fell asleep long before. Man what an absolute waste of good talent and effort.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    No, honestly, I like the movie. I read the book after that and although they changed the structure, I didn´t think the movie was missing too much stuff (beside the ending, of course). A lot of subtle hints on the more complex stuff are there for everyone to see who wants to take a closer look, but the casual audience can have a simpler experience, too.

It is an unusual book, certainly not the fantasy stuff people are used to, and the main problem was New Lines desire to sell it as the next LOTR. When will they ever learn...? rolleyes
  3. Hm, I guess I'm in the minority if I admit to not having enjoyed transformers much. Good effects, sure, but the camera angles were so zoomed in and shaky all the time you could hardly enjoy them. Yes it moves quickly, a device I think Bay uses to hide gaping plot holes (we leave Hoover Dam and suddenly we're in San Diego?). As far as Bay's skills as an action director, I've enjoyed several action films of the last few years FAR more, and not just because they had great stories, but because the action scenes were so well executed (Die Hard 4, Borne Ultimatum, MI:3). I'm not saying you can't love Bay even while admitting that his films are cinematic twinkies, I just don't care for his films. Any of them.

Christopher
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't like Transformers much either (besides the stunning score)...the plot is so boring and so little is apparently at stake that by the time we get to the climactic battle, I'm falling asleep because there's absolutely no emotional investment in ANYTHING.

At least Armageddon makes you care about the characters if you are willing to accept the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Transformers fails at that. For me.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    Although i too am a Bay fan, i haven't watched Transformers neither do i plan to do so; but the score is something i frequently return to.

You are seriously doing yourself a disfavor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    I am seriously considering spending 2 hours on it LOUD, on the 5.1 just for all the recommendations you gave me guys....BETTER BE GOOD! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. If you´re in the mood for blowing up your speakers... this will be good! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    I bet T2 is gonna take the Oscars home for this category though. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael Bay is a really cool guy. I like the fact that he acknowledges and admits his mania with frantic 3d effects, explosions and enhancing everything via CGI and SFX, he's not hiding or fooling himself. He seems like a very passionate guy about this stuff and i really liked that commercial i saw with him where he was basically parodying himself....anyone remember the link for that ad? It was a really cool watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    Sylvos wrote
    I bet T2 is gonna take the Oscars home for this category though. biggrin

It already did! biggrin

Wikipedia wrote
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day, commonly abbreviated as T2, (...) won several awards including four Academy Awards for makeup, sound mixing, sound editing and visual effects.

And this is the commercial Demetris wanted to look at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHsxQJ9ZOo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    LOL
    I knew someone would bring this up. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    He seems like a very passionate guy about this stuff

If you ever watch the making of of Bad Boys 2 and the audio commentary of Bad Boys, you´ll see that he is a really passionate guy while working.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Sylvos wrote
    LOL
    I knew someone would bring this up. biggrin

Glad to be of service. wave
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    I am seriously considering spending 2 hours on it LOUD, on the 5.1 just for all the recommendations you gave me guys....BETTER BE GOOD! wink

Oh dude, you're in for the ride of your life, better check your house after watching it though, it will have move a few inches because of all the shakin' and tremblin' ... punk

Best sound effects editing 2007: You guessed it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh dude, you're in for the ride of your life, better check your house after watching it though, it will have move a few inches because of all the shakin' and tremblin' ... punk

And the DVD transfer quality is top noch. One of, if not the best picture quality out of any DVD in my collection.
  7. Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He seems like a very passionate guy about this stuff

If you ever watch the making of of Bad Boys 2 and the audio commentary of Bad Boys, you´ll see that he is a really passionate guy while working.

If he only could work with ACTORS and tell a decent STORY. When he had to do it he failed big time!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

And the DVD transfer quality is top noch. One of, if not the best picture quality out of any DVD in my collection.

I concur, imagine what the blu-ray edition will look like... shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I concur, imagine what the blu-ray edition will look like... shocked

I can't! Even better...somehow. dizzy
  8. I'm not a Bay fan, except The Rock really (Bad Boys is cool, but really nothing else, Armageddon is kinda cool, but again nothing, then went downhill until this one), but I loved Transformers. One of films like: "YOU CAN SET THE CAMERA THERE??" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    christopher wrote
    Yes it moves quickly, a device I think Bay uses to hide gaping plot holes (we leave Hoover Dam and suddenly we're in San Diego?).

Ahem, they were never in "San Diego". Though there were plenty of plot holes to think about.
    Click on the link below and edumacate yourself. wink

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_City

9. Some people really need to get a girlfriend. But it´s cool to know such a site exists anyway. punk
  10. People who analyze movies in the tiniest details have issues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's the "get a life" syndrome.
  11. Yeah biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thus spake the people who enjoy analyzing film scores minutely...

But I agree: WE freaks are so much more palatable than THEM freaks! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn