• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The man, the myth, the legend! Or I just figured that since everyone else had threads on composers, I'd go ahead and start this one up.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir may just be my favorite Herrmann score. Though I do enjoy Psycho, Vertigo, Citizen Kane, North By Northwest, Taxi Driver, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Cape Fear, All That Money Can Buy and even Jason and the Argonauts.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMagician
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Have you read the book about Herrmann. I believe it is called Fire at the Heart's Centre by S Smith or something similar. I read it a few years ago but it was very interesting and full of great quips and stories. Worth getting a copy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Received Mysterious Island a couple of days ago. It rocks! The re-recording is incredibly faithful to the original OST. A must buy for any Herrmann fan. (beautiful thick booklet too)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  2. I'm awaiting the arrival of both Mysterious Island and Farhenheit 451 re-recording CDs in the post - and am excited by all the positive comments I've been hearing from people.

It's been a good year for Herrmann fans this year with these two CDs and the McNeely re-recording of North By Northwest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I've read parts of the Heart at Fire's Center biography, yeah it's amazing stuff. I used that for a review of Psycho I wrote on the other day. To this day it's said to be my best review.

McNeely's re-recording it's on its way and Fahrenheit 451 is one amazing score. Mysterious Island could go like tomorrow smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know, I really wish Herrmann would do more for me, so I could enjoy these rerecordings.
    I love what Morgan and Stromberg are doing, and am passionately advocating their cause... but I don't buy the CDs. sad

Now I hear very promising things about more Steiner and -maybe, fingers crossed, hope hope hope- some Rozsa, so my chance will come, but I'd love to do something to show my appreciation.

But to buy a CD I'm not gonna listen to seems, I dunno, tacky. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I'm sure that the producers of these CDs wouldn't want you to buy the CDs if you didn't enjoy them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, well, that's the theory.
    On the other hand: if these CDs don't do well, what are the odds of more projects being initiated?

I know this may sound silly, but I think it's a right old dilemma. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, well, that's the theory.
    On the other hand: if these CDs don't do well, what are the odds of more projects being initiated?

I know this may sound silly, but I think it's a right old dilemma. slant

I wish my musical taste was as limited as yours!

I'm serious! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I think between SEA HAWK and these two Herrmann CDs, Tribute are doing a roaring trade with Golden Age scoring fans Martijn. Fear not, and spend thy money more wisely on things like THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and Tadlow's forthcoming EL CID re-recording.

Hopefully at some point this new enthusiasm for re-recordings will extend to a couple of Waxman's landmark works, or even a certain Alex North score that Goldsmith never got around to recording.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Timmer wrote

I wouldn't say my taste was limited. sad I just know what I like, and that's simply not everything. smile

franz_conrad wrote
    Fear not, and spend thy money more wisely on things like ...Tadlow's forthcoming EL CID re-recording.

biggrin
    It'll be my third purchase of this particular score.
    Generally I'm not much for doubling (or trippling! shocked ) up, but, you know...it's Rozsa!
    Of all the doubles/tripples I have, three are Rozsa, the rest is Star Wars. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I wouldn't say my taste was limited. sad I just know what I like, and that's simply not everything. smile

Of course! smile

I apologise for my bad choice of words and you do have an ( well, mostly wink ) excellent taste in music, and a wide taste judging by your many 'off topic' posts.....be pretty boring if we all liked and disliked the same things.

People who live in glass houses an all that..... wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Thass alright. I know you didn't mean ill.
  6. http://www.scorsesefilmfreixenet.com/video_eng.htm
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    A fascinating read of the turbulent, often brilliant relationship and collaboration between composer Bernard Herrmann and his most celebrated director, Alfred Hitchcock, can be read at the Bernard Herrmann Society.

http://www.bernardherrmann.org/articles … rncurtain/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Tom's review on The Night Digger
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/bernard-herrmann/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Difficult man but great composer!!!
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Kritzerland's new release with two Herrmann's score is already SOLD OUT.

He's saying at FSM some guy made three seperate orders for about 29 copies. I think, if this guy isn't a retailer, he should be limited to one and the rest for people who missed out. It wasn't even available for a day and now that's it's sold out, you can't even click on it for details and sound samples; I never even got a chance to hear what it sounds like.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    Seems to be the way of the market now. In fact in this case he isn't shipping for approx. 30 days. I might go to SAE.
    Thomas
  8. Looks like this was posted at FSM before the official announcement was made, so it's not on their site yet:

TWO GREAT BERNARD HERRMANN SCORES MAKE THEIR CD DEBUT!

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD - two original motion picture soundtracks from Bernard Herrmann.

TWISTED NERVE
    Cleaver. Cleaver. Chop. Chop. First the mom and then the pop. Then we'll get the pretty girl. We'll get her right between the curl. Twisted Nerve was a nasty little 1968 thriller from the Boulting Brothers. It reunited the stars of the previous Boulting Brothers film, The Family Way - Hayley Mills and Hywel Bennett, and also starred Frank Finlay, Billie Whitelaw, and Barry Foster. Bernard Herrmann created a memorable score, especially the film's main theme with its haunting whistling melody, which would, decades later, be appropriated by that raider of pop culture Quentin Tarantino for his Kill Bill films. But the score is a lot more than that infectious whistling theme - it's classic Herrmann all the way - brooding, chilling, and filled with the composer's unique style and colors.

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK
    The same year as Twisted Nerve, Herrmann scored Francois Truffaut's film of Cornell Woolrich's classic novel of suspense, The Bride Wore Black. It was their second collaboration (the first was a true Herrmann masterpiece, Fahrenheit 451), and Herrmann delivered a wonderful score for Truffaut's homage to Hitchcock, perfectly capturing the characters, the drama, and the Truffaut visuals. Twisted Nerve was originally released as one half of an LP (the flip side was Les Reed's score to Les Bicyclettes de Belsize), and The Bride Wore Black was originally released as a 45rpm extended play record in France only. Both records went out of print immediately and became sought after collector's items, holy grails for Herrmann collectors. We're pleased to present both scores in their album presentations for the first time on CD. The CD runs thirty-two minutes and the cost is $17.98 plus shipping. This release is limited to 1200 copies only. CDs will ship in late January - however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to three weeks earlier (in this case definitely three weeks earlier).

Because our last Herrmann title sold out in less than twenty-four hours, I'm giving all our loyal Kritzerland customers a head's up. This title won't be officially announced until the morning of December 24th and will be available for purchase at our website. For those who may not be on their computers or may be on vacation, you can pre-preorder the title in advance of the official announcement, by going directly to paypal.com and entering our paypal address, which is kritzerland@adelphia.net. If doing so, the cost is $17.98 plus 3.75 for shipping in the US, or 6.50 for overseas shipping. If pre-preordering please be sure to put the name of the CD in the paypal invoice. We expect this title to go very quickly, so please act now if you want to insure a copy.
    Visit Our Website

For those who will be around for the title to go live on the Kritzerland site, you'll be able to place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples on the morning of December 24th. Just visit www.kritzerland.com

Sincerely,

Bruce Kimmel
    Kritzerland
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    EXCELLENT! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Should sell out immediately
  9. I noticed this post also - and immediately sent off my pre-order.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Most of his material has all been released
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    I'm sorry this is not one of his better efforts.
  10. Twisted Nerve whistling theme: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFQATH7OL0

The Bride Wore Black: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RODV6q_XR34
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    Not for me I'm sorry. The whistling is grating on my nerves
  11. THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINDBAD (COMPLETE SCORE / 2 CD) (CD)
    Bernard Herrmann

STARRING KERWIN MATHEWS KATHRYN GRANT
    CO-STARRING RICHARD EYER AS THE GENIE WITH TORIN THATCHER
    WRITTEN BY KENNETH KOLB
    SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS CREATED BY RAY HARRYHAUSEN
    PRODUCED BY CHARLES H. SCHNEER, DIRECTED BY NATHAN JURAN 1958.

Music Composed and Orchestrated by Bernard Herrmann
    Performed by the Graunke Symphony Orchestra

DISC ONE: THE COMPLETE SCORE
    1. OVERTURE / THE FOG 3:58
    2. THE PRINCESS / THE STONE GATE / THE CYCLOPS 6:13
    3. THE TRUMPETS / BAGDAD 2:59
    4. SULTAN'S FEAST / THE VASE / COBRA DANCE 3:34
    5. THE PROPHECY 1:11
    6. THE POOL / NIGHT MAGIC 2:10
    7. TINY PRINCESS 2:04
    8. STREET MUSIC 1:14
    9. SINBAD AND PRINCESS 1:42
    10. THE SHIP / THE FIGHT 3:00
    11. THE RETURN 1:10
    12. THE SKULL 1:29
    13. THE CLUB 1:05
    14. THE CAVE 0:50
    15. THE CAPTURE 0:45
    16. CAPTURED - PART II 0:48
    17. IN CAGE 0:59
    18. THE LATCH 2:01 19. THE FIGHT WITH THE CYCLOPS / CYCLOPS' DEATH 3:04
    20. THE CLIFFS 1:02
    21. THE EGG 1:18
    22 THE REQUEST / THE GENIE'S HOME / THE FIGHT
    WITH THE ROC / THE NEST / THE DRAGON 11:38
    23. DOOR SLAM 1:12
    24. TRANSFORMATION 2:52
    25. THE SKELETON / THE DUEL WITH THE SKELETON / THE SWORD 2:53
    26. DRAGON AND CYCLOPS / THE CROSSBOW / THE DEATH OF THE DRAGON / FINALE 8:44

DISC ONE Total Time: 70:58

DISC TWO: THE SOUNDTRACK ALBUM (1958)
    1. OVERTURE / BAGDAD 3:50
    2. SULTAN'S FEAST / THE VASE / COBRA DANCE 2:33
    3. THE CYCLOPS 3:36
    4. NIGHT MAGIC / TINY PRINCESS / STREET MUSIC 3:34
    5. THE FLIGHT / THE BATTLE WITH THE CYCLOPS 3:16
    6. THE ROC / THE NEST 4:09
    7. THE DRAGON 2:13
    8. TRANSFORMATION 2:02 9. THE SKELETON / THE DUEL WITH THE SKELETON / THE SWORD 2:54
    10. THE DEATH OF THE CYCLOPS / THE CROSSBOW / THE DEATH OF THE DRAGON 3:20
    11. FINALE 2:19

12. OVERTURE (Long Version) 1:54

DISC TWO Total Time: 36:07

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12466
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    Pass for me as I have a lot of music from this film already.
    Thomas