• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Good to hear that Alan, though I will be getting this it'll have to wait for awhile, I've already gone too far over budget this month alone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Cool!. WIll you review it for MainTitles too Tom? Too few Herrmann scores!

Absolutely!!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan, did you obtain the CD or the download. If you got the download was it 320 or lossless
  1. sdtom wrote
    Alan, did you obtain the CD or the download. If you got the download was it 320 or lossless

Downloaded, Tom. And it was neither. I've PM'd you.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Apparently the lossless downloads from Chandos aren't going over as well as they thought.
    Thomas
  2. sdtom wrote
    Apparently the lossless downloads from Chandos aren't going over as well as they thought.
    Thomas

Maybe the "general public" doesn't see the need for them?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    It could very well be that the general public is satisfied with less than CD quality. This could very well be a case where the audiophile will be squeezed out.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    What version (s) does everyone have of Citizen Kane?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    What version (s) does everyone have of Citizen Kane?
    Thomas smile

Varese's re-recording by Joel McNeely/RSNO and the recent Chandos release (Rumon Gamba/BBC Philharmonic).

That's it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I only have the shorter Gerhardt suite. Though I will probably pick one of those two others up when I see a good price in the future, it's not high on my priority list right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/h … eherrmann/

A review of the new Chandos recording
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    On a non-Citizen Kane related note; after having bought the original recording and being somewhat disappointed by the quality of the restoration, I noticed the limited Joel McNeely isn't sold out yet at Varese! Before I rush into buying this one (his rerecordings of Psycho and Vertigo are superb), does anybody know how good it is? (what's the reason this hasn't sold out yet?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    On a non-Citizen Kane related note; after having bought the original recording and being somewhat disappointed by the quality of the restoration, I noticed the limited Joel McNeely isn't sold out yet at Varese! Before I rush into buying this one (his rerecordings of Psycho and Vertigo are superb), does anybody know how good it is? (what's the reason this hasn't sold out yet?).

I'm going to assume that you are talking about North By Northwest. I would say that this title hasn't sold out is due to the fact that most fans interested in this score already have the Rhino release of the original tracks and/or they don't like re-recordings. IMHO, the Varese re-recording is outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Haha, I was talking about North by Northwest indeed, sorry for leaving this important bit of information out. Good to hear it's not because of the recording! I was disappointed by especially the soubd of the main theme (although the restoration in the BluRay release is fantastic!). Will buy this release then for sure, I need this in full stereo quality! This is worth it of having twice, the original recording has merits as well, of course.
  3. Tom, I have a couple of versions, but I think the main one I listen to was recorded in Australia (Bateman was conductor?).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    If you do get this new Chandos recording I'd be curious of what you think. You can go to the Chandos website and download lossless if you wish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    Just now ordered the Joel McNeely version of North by Northwest. Also ordered the Chandos recording of Citizen Kane and Hangover Street, while I was at it. Both great works apparantly that I have not heard yet. Was in doubt on getting the Chandos version of Citizen Kane as opposed to the McNeely version, but all these enthusiastic sounds over here won me over smile.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    Just now ordered the Joel McNeely version of North by Northwest. Also ordered the Chandos recording of Citizen Kane and Hangover Street, while I was at it. Both great works apparantly that I have not heard yet. Was in doubt on getting the Chandos version of Citizen Kane as opposed to the McNeely version, but all these enthusiastic sounds over here won me over smile.

Anyone here able to comment on which is better, the McNeely recording of NBNW or the Laurie Johnson one?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Anyone here able to comment on which is better, the McNeely recording of NBNW or the Laurie Johnson one?

I prefer the sonics of the McNeely recording. I don't like the sound of the Johnson recording. I'm not sure how to describe it but it sounds like a really small orchestra and sounds too slick.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Timmer wrote

I like the McNeely recording of North By Northwest...but I like the Laurie Johnson version of North By Northwest.

But, which one's better?

There's only one way to find out...

BTW, I've not heard the Laurie Johnson version, but I couldn't pass up the TV Burp moment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I give the nod to the McNeely sound
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I like the McNeely recording of North By Northwest...but I like the Laurie Johnson version of North By Northwest.

But, which one's better?

There's only one way to find out...

BTW, I've not heard the Laurie Johnson version, but I couldn't pass up the TV Burp moment!

biggrin

I'll have to check out the McNeely, I'm already familiar with the Johnson recording which I do like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One thing for sure is the fact that I do like the new Hangover Square.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for the review Tom!

I recently bough the Salonen rerecording of some Herrmann scores with your comments from GoldenScores in mond. I have now heard it, and I love it, especially the Psycho suite, and the suites around my favourite themesof his: Marnie and Vertigo. I think I'll prefer to listen to a compilation like this than the complete scores (well, mostly, North By Northwest for example is a joy from start to finish, Psycho McNeely recording is not for me tough)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    Bregt, I can see how the full Psycho score might not be for you, but surely you're not talking about Vertigo either when you say you prefer the suite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BobdH wrote
    Bregt, I can see how the full Psycho score might not be for you, but surely you're not talking about Vertigo either when you say you prefer the suite?

I tend to agree with you Bob on the Psycho Suite. That Salonen re-recording is a damn good one!!! smile

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Bregt wrote

I recently bough the Salonen rerecording of some Herrmann scores with your comments from GoldenScores in mond. I have now heard it, and I love it, especially the Psycho suite, and the suites around my favourite themesof his: Marnie and Vertigo. I think I'll prefer to listen to a compilation like this than the complete scores (well, mostly, North By Northwest for example is a joy from start to finish, Psycho McNeely recording is not for me tough)

Bregt, I recommend the Danny Elfman version of Psycho. It's half as long as McNeely's recording, crisper and more exciting. It's my favourite recording, in fact.
    That Salonen album is great, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Get the Salonen version. You won't be disappointed.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Bregt wrote

I was listening to North By Northwest yesterday and earlier today once more and was amazed at the complexity and yet engaging quality of this score. McNeely says in the liner notes of the rerecording that it was tricky to conduct because of the constant switch back and forth between the instruments - they are not even from bar to bar but from beat to beat! Amazing score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Just in case you MISSED THIS INCREDIBLE RELEASE Alan and Tom which I've also mentioned at 'Now Playing' because surely EVERYONE wants it!