• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sleep

I didn't fall for it Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And you should have put it in the Morricone thread.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    sdtom wrote
    And you should have put it in the Morricone thread.
    thomas

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you think about it a soundtrack of amplified bird sounds with bonus tracks of before and after.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    If you think about it a soundtrack of amplified bird sounds with bonus tracks of before and after.

I thought it was an excellent April fool perpetrated by SAE, over at FSM, Chris says he's had two serious ( though confused ) orders. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I take it in the best of spirits Tim. I guess they must have been involved with the bird society.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I take it in the best of spirits Tim. I guess they must have been involved with the bird society.
    Thomas

Now THAT would have been an epic April Fool's joke: sending out a CD with bird calls. applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    There are probably a few that would have purchased it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    So I listened to The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (my first Herrmann score) and quite liked it. Erik recommended that i get a certain compilation CD next, but I decided I'd rather stay away from compilations...I'd rather experience whole works as they were originally intended. I have compilations of Bernstein and Delerue and I rather regret them because I now have so much less motivation to actually experience the whole scores that the compilations feature.

So, what Herrmann works should I get next? Re-recordings / decent sound quality only, please.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. "Vertigo"
    "Psycho"
    "North By Northwest"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    So I listened to The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (my first Herrmann score) and quite liked it. Erik recommended that i get a certain compilation CD next, but I decided I'd rather stay away from compilations...I'd rather experience whole works as they were originally intended. I have compilations of Bernstein and Delerue and I rather regret them because I now have so much less motivation to actually experience the whole scores that the compilations feature.

So, what Herrmann works should I get next? Re-recordings / decent sound quality only, please.

I highly recommend hearing Herrmann in suite form. IMHO, his music works much better as a listening experience that way. That's why the Esa-Pekka Salonen compilation is soooo good. All the major highlights from some Herrmann's best work is on that disc. You won't be disappointed.

But if you are looking for complete re-recordings go to Intrada right now and get JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS I also highly recommend McNeely's amazing re-recording of VERTIGO There's is apparently a better recording of that score but it's extremely rare so McNeely's is the next best choice and what an alternative it is. Stunning sonics, wonderful conducting and passionate performances.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I really like the Psycho suite that was created. I'd still opt for this LA Philharmonic/Salonen recording
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My psychology simply doesn't accept the idea of compilations where the majority of the original works has been eliminated. I can't really explain it :P

Erik I think I will go for those two you mention. Thanks!! Any other suggestions also appreciated.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    My psychology simply doesn't accept the idea of compilations where the majority of the original works has been eliminated. I can't really explain it :P

Erik I think I will go for those two you mention. Thanks!! Any other suggestions also appreciated.

I second Erik's recommendations, both are sublime!

I would also recommend John Debney's recording of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, one of Herrmann's very best fantasy scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    Scribe wrote

Step out of the box and take a chance on the Sony release. I just double checked on google and saw that Barnes and Noble had it for under $8.00.
  2. Me want! Awesome!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Me want! Awesome!!

A bit too intense for me, but what is it? From the MYSTERIOUS ISLAND session?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If I'm not mistaken that's from Tribute Film Classics new recording of The Battle of Neretva due out this spring.

-Erik-
  3. Sounds good whatever it is - if it is The Battle of Neretva then it's not a passage I remember from the Southern Cross release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Me want! Awesome!!

A bit too intense for me, but what is it? From the MYSTERIOUS ISLAND session?

Someone did comment on Facebook that they could detect what sounded to them like "borrowings" from Mysterious Island.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's the cue "The Bridge" from The Battle of Neretva.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    Is it?! shocked

I don't remember there being such a raw power on that CD. It's frustrating not having the mp3s to hand. Wait a minute is the actual CD on the shelf here where I'm sat?...YES IT IS!!

NP: The Battle of Neretva - Bernard Herrmann
  5. But it's not on this CD. Have to wait for the re-recording next year.
  6. Am I the only one who prefers his non-Hitchcock scores to his scores for Hitchcock's films? I've listened to, and enjoyed, On Dangerous Ground, Fahrenheit 451, and Hangover Square and I've found them to be just as enjoyable, if not slightly more than, his work Psycho and Vertigo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Am I the only one who prefers his non-Hitchcock scores to his scores for Hitchcock's films? I've listened to, and enjoyed, On Dangerous Ground, Fahrenheit 451, and Hangover Square and I've found them to be just as enjoyable, if not slightly more than, his work Psycho and Vertigo.

Hangover Square is a real winner and the movie is pretty darn good.
    Thomas
  7. Yes, it has one of the best climaxes I've seen in a while. Talk about going out in a blaze of glory...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    A real sleeper of a good movie. Laird was an excellent actor
  8. With 2011 being the centennial year of the birth of Bernard Herrmann I'm hoping for some Herrmann-themed events. Concerts? New releases of his music? Radio/TV programmes?

I'll be reading his biography "A Fire At Heart's Center" again sometime soon.