• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    I won't
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/j … -herrmann/

Review of Jane Eyre, the Naxos recording.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    An excellent album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    An excellent album!

-Erik-

As well as being part of an excellent series!!!
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    Sorry Alan, it's not PSYCHO.

IT'S ALIVE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Sorry Alan, it's not PSYCHO.

IT'S ALIVE

Looking forward to hearing it nonetheless.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    It's very Hermannesque wink

I've only heard it in the film, not bad at all from what I remember in my vague memory.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I am assuming that it is simiilar to the music used in It's Alive 2. I am curious to hear how similar they are.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Here's the first part of the film -- I skimmed threw it quickly, only here score in the opening -- didn't care for it; hope the rest is different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y-8JpWsb70
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    LAURIE JOHNSON on BERNARD HERRMANN

Hope you can all see this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    Thanks! Very interesting conversation!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. How's the score album for Taxi Driver?

I'm talking about this one.

Good sound? Cues in film order or not? Is it a satisfying listen?

I've watched the film and thought it the music was extremely effective, very appropriate for the scenes.

But does it work as a standalone listen? I'm asking this because I know nothing of Herrmann really, and maybe this could become my first purchase. I have to order something else with Star Trek, you see?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    How's the score album for Taxi Driver?

I'm talking about this one.

Good sound? Cues in film order or not? Is it a satisfying listen?

I've watched the film and thought it the music was extremely effective, very appropriate for the scenes.

But does it work as a standalone listen? I'm asking this because I know nothing of Herrmann really, and maybe this could become my first purchase. I have to order something else with Star Trek, you see?

It's a brilliant score! One of the all time great jazz themes and incredible underscore, love it love it love it!
  5. I would certainly recommend it. Very evocative of the film as well as being a great jazzy listen.
  6. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
    Based on the sound clips alone this could give Star Trek: The Motion Picture a run for its money as film score re-release of the year!

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 207
    Date: 1959
    Tracks: 28
    Time = 69:17

At long last! Oft-recorded Bernard Herrmann masterpiece finally gets complete release in dynamic stereo from new masters! Previous release on Rhino label was spectacular album, albeit several major set pieces (including main title & climactic Mount Rushmore sequence) were transferred from damaged elements, all that was then available. Thanks to Warner Bros., new stereo mixes have been made available for first time ever, revealing spectacular sonics (for 1959) and illuminating new details of magnificent score never before captured. While score has also been digitally re-recorded twice under different conductors, neither version can match crisp, exciting performance of MGM Studio musicians under baton of Herrmann himself. Hear harp arpeggios, castenets, wood blocks, snare drums like never before. Get entire climax with punch of bass trombone, thrilling trumpets amidst swirling variety of tempos that keep tension, excitement of Hitchcock's incredible action set-piece moving at fierce pace. Alfred Hitchcock's brilliant film stars Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, young Martin Landau and is regarded as one of director's greatest achievements. Crop-dusting scene, Mount Rushmore climax are movie icons. Romance between Grant, Saint is heartfelt, all the more so with Herrmann's tender love theme for strings. Composer is also major part of excitement, suspense of wild tale. Under loving guidance of Neil Bulk & Lukas Kendall, Herrmann's score comes home at last not only with best sound possible but also with first-ever reproduction of original MGM artwork campaign, color stills, informative notes by Frank De Walk, complete cue assembly details plus musician's list. The final word on North By Northwest! Bernard Herrmann conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains.

01. Overture/Main Title 2:19
    02. The Streets 1:07
    03. Kidnapped 2:18
    04. The Door/Cheers 1:26
    05. The Wild Ride/Car Crash 3:14
    06. The Return/Two Dollars 1:15
    07. The Elevator 0:49
    08. The U.N./Information Desk 1:55
    09. The Knife 0:51
    10. Interlude 1:18
    11. Detectives/Conversation Piece/Duo 4:42
    12. The Station/The Phone Booth/Farewell 2:55
    13. The Crash/Hotel Lobby 3:15
    14. The Reunion/Goodbye/The Question 2:34
    15. The Pad & Pencil/The Auction/The Police 2:35
    16. The Airport 1:02
    17. The Cafeteria/The Shooting 2:24
    18. The Forest 1:25
    19. The Flight/The Ledge 1:30
    20. The House 3:14
    21. The Balcony/The Match Box 2:45
    22. The Message/The T.V./The Airplane 2:39
    23. The Gates/The Stone Faces/The Ridge/On the Rocks/The Cliff/Finale 8:57
    The Album Total Time: 56:38

The Extras
    24. It's a Most Unusual Day (source) 1:17
    25. Rosalie (source) 1:36
    26. In the Still of the Night (source) 2:26
    27. Fashion Show (source) 5:23
    28. The Crash 1:53
    The Extras Total Time: 12:29

CD Total Time: 69:17

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7688/.f
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    Indeed! Brilliant score! One of my all time favourites!
    But "this could give Star Trek: The Motion Picture a run for its money as film score re-release of the year!" hmm?, not quite. But a huge release for sure! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    But "this could give Star Trek: The Motion Picture a run for its money as film score re-release of the year!" hmm?, not quite. But a huge release for sure! cool

Why not?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope it sells well but I really don't need another North By Northwest, a great score but not one I play as regularly as other Herrmann classics.
  7. A definite buy for me when I get home. Herrmann's original is a must even with several excellent re-recordings available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    Concert rapport up:

http://montages.no/2013/02/kork-spiller … -herrmann/
    I am extremely serious.

8. Concert review?

Constrained by the limits of Google Translate, I enjoyed the jist of your review Thor. Herrmann's always a joy to hear live - for me it's not just about the music, it's also about trying to fathom the various orchestrations that affect the make-up of the orchestra as well as seeing if the orchestra is "up to the mark" for playing Herrmann.

I should mention though that the image of the skeletons is from Jason and The Argonauts and not The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. But then this may have been pointed out to you already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013 edited
    Concert review, yes! Good that Google Translate allowed you to get the gist of it, at the very least, even though the English comes off as bizarre now and then.

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't realized that.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Concert review, yes! Good that Google Translate allowed you to get the gist of it, at the very least, even though the English comes off as bizarre now and then.

If you are able to use any image, what about this one?

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content … inbad2.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

Just the one Skeleton in Sinbad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

If you are able to use any image, what about this one?

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content … inbad2.jpg

Good, but has a "Bluray.com" watermark in the corner. However, I found another pic I inserted now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love this Google translation for the PSYCHO remarks:

"It only has to be that it might be a little lugger in ritardando party for the iconic shower stuff holders. "

Indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shocked dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014
    Listen up kids...

GROW SOME!!!!

rolleyes

Am I being too mean?