• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    Brilliant score, a bench mark in what fantasy scoring is all about but, and a big but, I'm going to pass on this one, I already have the original album and Debney's superb re-recording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Brilliant score, a bench mark in what fantasy scoring is all about but, and a big but, I'm going to pass on this one, I already have the original album and Debney's superb re-recording.

Agree Tim. enough is enough
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Agree Tim. enough is enough

What a shame though that this release gets barely any comments though!? It truly is one of THE greatest fantasy scores written, if this film was scored now it would have the thousand piece choir to cover up the fact that the composer hasn't got the chops to write real music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Who released this? It's a bit unclear from the SAE posting. Is it FSM?

I'd consider getting this, as from the looks of things - scrolling through iTunes - I don't have either of the previous releases!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Who released this? It's a bit unclear from the SAE posting. Is it FSM?

I'd consider getting this, as from the looks of things - scrolling through iTunes - I don't have either of the previous releases!

It's one of the two new PROMETHEUS releases, the other being John Barry's Mike's Murder.
  2. I must say I fear for the recording quality of a score titled 'MIKE's MURDER'.

Ba-boom-tish. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I must say I fear for the recording quality of a score titled 'MIKE's MURDER'.

Ba-boom-tish. dizzy

Ha.....hahaha....ha....hhhh spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I must say I fear for the recording quality of a score titled 'MIKE's MURDER'.

Ba-boom-tish. dizzy

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    I think it's a great deal. I already have the Debney, but only $22 for the original album AND the complete score? Sweet!
  3. Timmer wrote

Debney's re-recording is good but there's a rawness to the original recording that isn't recreated in the recording - and I think that this is a major plus-point for having the original tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    i just don't need three recordings of this
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

Love the score, and I actually watched the movie again back to back with Mysterious Island on youtube. Mysterious Island (the movie) is in my opinion much better, as it delivers some genuine exciting moments. (escape with the balloon, balloon crash etc etc.) the acting is way better, and one of the stranded girls wears a skimpy outfit. Seventh Voyage is extremely cheesy and more childish. But still great though. But for me both the score and movie (mysterious island) are the winners here.

The re-recording of Mysterious Island is spot on, a fantastic effort by Stromberg, Morgan and our Russian friends... great guys too. Speaking out of personal experience Mr. Morgan has always been very easy to approach and always makes time to answer any questions.

I don't agree what the previous forum member said regarding Debney's re-recording effort. In my opinion it pales in comparison with the original recording. (if memory serves Debney didn't have time enough to study Herrmann's work, as he was a last minute replacement conductor, wasn't he?) There are quite a few misses with that re-recording. Still nice though, but its simply no match compared with the Mysterious Island or Jason and the Argonauts re-recordings, which are absolute spot on.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    With the talk about 7th Voyage I re-listened again to the wonderful score. Yet another example of the genius of Herrmann.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In his case GENIUS is the right word Tom.
  4. He was a genius.

Vertigo, Psycho, Ambersons, Kane, Ghost and Mrs Muir, Fahrenheit 451, On Dangerous Ground, Mysterious Island, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Taxi Driver, Obsession... what a lineup!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And a library of cues in the CBS library that are still being used.
  5. Where are they used, Tom? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just watched an episode of Perry Mason as an example and all of a sudden I'm listening to "Where Is Everybody" from the Twilight Zone series. Herrmann is quite recognizable and his music is all over the place, especially on an older TV series.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember his music for TZ turning up in The Fugitive too along with Jerry Goldsmith's cues for TZ.
  6. The movie?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited
    No, the original 1960's TV series, it was repeated here in the UK during the 90's.
  7. I noticed this "heads up" on the FSM messageboard:

Bernard Herrmann is BBC Radio 3's "Composer of the Week" - 12 noon Mon-Fri (though I think it is repeated sometime in the late evening and will be available (in the UK) on BBC iPlayer).

Schedule:

Monday

The Murder from Psycho (excerpt), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), Unicorn Kanchana UKCD 2021 Tr 17

Prelude and Love Scene from Vertigo, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), London 443 895-2 Tr 4

Currier and Ives Suite, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, James Sedares (conductor), Koch 307224-2H1 Trs 8-12

Sinfonietta for String Orchestra, Berlin Symphony Orchestra, Isaiah Jackson (conductor), Koch 3-7152-2H1 Trs 8-12

Theme and Variations and Aria from Salammbô (Citizen Kane), Kiri te Kanawa (soprano), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Gerhardt (conductor), RCA Victor GD 80707 Trs 3-4.

Tuesday

Exuberance from The Walt Whitman Suite, CBS Orchestra, Cerberus Records CST 0210 S1, B1

The Brave New World Suite, CBS Orchestra, Cerberus Records CST 0210 S2 B1

Little Girl Lost - Where are you? (The Twilight Zone), Andy Findon, Jim Gregory (flute/alto/piccolo), Anna Noakes (flute/alto/bass/piccolo), Nina Roberson (flute/bass), Helen Tunstall, Thelma Owen, Gillian Tingay, Fiona Hibbert (harps), Norbert Blume (viola d'amore), Steve Henderson (percussion), Joel McNeely (conductor), Varese Sarabande VSD2 6087 CD2 Tr 2

Cantata Moby Dick (1940); Male Chorus: And God created great whales, Ishmael John Amis (tenor), The Aeolian Singers, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), UKCD CD 2061 Tr 1

The Devil and Daniel Webster, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, James Sedares (conductor), Koch 3-7224-2H1 Trs 1-5

Finale (Symphony No 1), The Phoenix Symphony, James Sedares (conductor), Koch 3-7609-2 Tr 10

Wednesday

Prelude to The Ghost and Mrs Muir, 20th Century Fox Studio Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), Varese Sarabande VSD 5850 Tr 2

January (The Fantasticks), Michael Rippon (bass), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), UKCD 2063 Tr 5

Rochester, Rochester's Past, the Fire, Duo - the Door, The Wedding - The Wife (Jane Eyre), Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Adriano (conductor), Naxos 8.223535 Trs 8, 10, 11, 18

Nelly will you keep a secret... Isn't that Heathcliff? (Wuthering Heights, Act 2), Catherine Earnshaw Morag Beaton (soprano), Nelly Linton Elizabeth Bainbridge (mezzo-soprano), Joseph Michael Rippon (bass)
    Pro Arte Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), UKCD 2050/51/52 CD2 Trs 6, 7, 8

Concerto Macabre (Hangover Square), Philip Fowke (piano), RTE Concert Orchestra, Proinnsias O Duinn (conductor), Naxos 8.554323 Tr 7.

Thursday

Main titles to North by Northwest, London Studio Symphony Orchestra, Laurie Johnson (conductor), UKCD 2040 Tr 1

Outer Space (The Day the Earth Stood Still), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmannn (conductor), London 4438992, Track 11

A portrait of 'Hitch' (The Trouble with Harry), London Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), London 4438952 Tr 5

Overture; The Duel with the Skeleton; Baghdad (The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), Track 2, Decca 421 266-2

Suite for Psycho, National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), London 4438952 Tr 1

Prelude; The Radiogram/Hotel; Valse Lente (Torn Curtain), The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Elmer Bernstein (conductor), Warner BSK 3185 S1

Friday

Twisted Nerve, Uncredited performers, A band apart/Maverick Wing soundtrack 9362-48588-2

Scherzo (Symphony No 1), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), UKCD 2063 Trs 2

Fahrenheit 451, National Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Herrmann (conductor), London 443 899-2 Trs 18-22

Souvenirs de Voyage for clarinet and strings (1st mvt), David Schifrin (clarinet), Walter Trampler, Paul, Neubauer (violas), Hamilton Cheifetz, Warren Lash (cellos), Delos DE 3088 Tr 1

Scenes from Taxi Driver: Thank God for the Rain; Cleaning the Cab; I still can't sleep/They cannot touch her (Betsy's Theme), Arista 07822 190052 Trs 2, 3, 4

The Sea: The Lagoon; Descending; The Octopus: Homecoming (Beneath the 12-Mile Reef), National Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Gerhardt (conductor), BMG RCA Victor GD 80707 Trs 6, 7, 8

Catch it if you can!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    A nice lineup of Herrmann.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    NEW HERRMANN RELEASE

While not for a lot of you on the messageboard the new Chandos release is quite exciting for me.
    http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN+10577

Keep in mind that Chandos offers lossless downloads.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's one I shall be getting Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to review it. But my first listen impresses
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My second listen is even more impressive than the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Cool!. WIll you review it for MainTitles too Tom? Too few Herrmann scores!
    Kazoo
  8. I really prefer this version of Citizen Kane to the Varese version. And it's good to finally hear a "clean" version of Hangover Square.