• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Damn it's like I knew this guy personally, having heard his familiar voice in the widest range of media. He can make a corny line sound absolutely amazing. Remember the trailers for Terminator 2 and Aliens? That was him punk

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me … ?track=rss

I'm sure almost nobody knew his name, but that voice, so cool which resulted in some of the best movie trailers ever made.

RIP Don
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    I wonder if anyone in non-English speaking countries would have even heard his voice let alone have heard of his name?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is he THE VOICE i think he is? Anyone with a youtube link or something ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Trailers, like movies, need to be watched (and heard) in their original language, anything else is just inferior. A few weeks ago I watched the trailer for Meet Dave in french............... IN FRENCH vomit

Subconsciously I think everyone that's into films and film-related media will have heard his voice at some point.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Is he THE VOICE i think he is? Anyone with a youtube link or something ?

Just play the video in the link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    I just did shame

What a shame to loose him so early, thankfully they never overdub ANYTHING in Greece and Cyprus, not even trailers, not even tv movies. Maybe we are the only 2 countries in the rest of Europe to do that? So i knew the man and his voice.....RIP.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is he THE VOICE i think he is?

I'm thinking the same. I'll have to listen when I get home. RIP. sad
  4. A nice tribute clip. Spot the film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    RIP Don.
    There was an item about his passing on the news last night. With clips of old interviews and of course trailers he did. Good to see his face for a change. Nice to hear his voice when he was just talking as well!

They even showed a part of the parody by Pablo Francisco as well, it shows how legenday his voice was indeed. Everyone knows that voice.
    smile

Christodoulides wrote
    thankfully they never overdub ANYTHING in Greece and Cyprus, not even trailers, not even tv movies. Maybe we are the only 2 countries in the rest of Europe to do that?

I was kind of hoping it's he other way around! Two counties in Europe who dub everything and the rest doesn't?! I'm grateful in the Netherlands everything is in the original language as well. I mean, I never understood why would you want to lose half of the acting by the actors too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    No, we don't dub. We dub nothing, all its in their original language, from trailers and commercials to films themselves. France and Germany and the former Soviet Union countries do it all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Over here in belgium only the french speaking dub everything. Their excuse: they don't want to read while watching. Damn idiots... We flemish like it in the original language with subtitles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's the stupidest, most irritating and disturbing thing ever. Idiots, 3/4 of Europe does that and it's pretty vomiting if you ask me.
  5. Yeah, we dub everything. EVERYTHING.

Due to that, german dubbing has become rather well over the years, but still most jokes based on languages can´t be translated, and many texts get changed to get a better synchronity with lip movements. We loose a lot due to dubbing, and yes, I hate that.

But still, german dubbing is one of the best, compared to some other stuff I´ve heard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgbUXK-HI_E&NR=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dubbing sucks, no matter where it comes from and how it is done. It should never be allowed imo, if it weren't for all the financial benefits that obviously exist and let it go on 'cause it's total alternation of one's work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    D, I meant the other way around as in, more countries in Europe who keep the original language than countries who don't. I was hoping it is that way but I'm not so sure anymore?

I simply had to laugh when I was in Brussels and saw movie posters everywhere of Le Chevalier Noir ... sorry!

Thanks for the tribute clip of Don Lafontaine by the way. smile
  6. Ha! I pass by those posters every day (work is in Brussels), and I have a good chuckle each time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah; posters are the only ones who ARE "translated" here in Greece too. I don't think any other country can reach our squalor on the said subject matter; i'll give you only one example:

SWING VOTE was translated on poster as: .....

THE MR NOBODY

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Oh, don´t get me started on that one...

Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl --> Fluch der Karibik (--> Curse of the Caribbean)

When Part 2 came out, they noticed they had a problem. This is how they solved it:

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man´s Chest --> Fluch der Karibik 2 - Pirates of the Caribbean (no kidding, the english series title became the subtitle for part 2!!!)

When Part 3 came out, they messed it up by doing what they should have done from the beginning:

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World´s End --> Pirates of the Caribbean - Am Ende der Welt

Another very funny example:

National Treasure --> Das Vermächtnis der Tempelritter (--> The Legacy of the Knights Templar)

When Part 2 came out, it was obvious they had messed things up badly by chosing that title. But they solved it anyway by doing this:

National Treasure 2 - The Book of Secrets --> Das Vermächtnis des geheimen Buches (--> The Legacy of the Secret Book)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Nobody beats the Greek though wink

NO RESERVATIONS --> "Have you reserved a table?" shocked
  7. How poetic. biggrin
  8. Makes sense I guess,

Here they like to translate mostly literally, which totally dumbifies the original title:

Saving Private Ryan becomes Il faut sauver le Soldat Ryan which means We have to save Private Ryan

I Am Legend becomes Je suis une Légende which means I am a Legend

But this is silly:

You Don't Mess with the Zohan becomes Rien que pour vos cheveux which means Apart for your hair shocked confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh; the last one is nasty.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    No, we don't dub. We dub nothing, all its in their original language, from trailers and commercials to films themselves. France and Germany and the former Soviet Union countries do it all the time.

We don't dub trailers either, unless the film itself is dubbed, as is sometimes the case (kid movies, some DEMANDED movies, so now all Harry Potters and Star Wars will be dubbed).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Oh, we do subtitle movies in cinemas too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    I think the german dubbing of the Lord of the Ring movies for example is excellent. Also, Bruce Willis' german voice sounds much cooler than his actual voice. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas wrote
    I think the german dubbing of the Lord of the Ring movies for example is excellent. Also, Bruce Willis' german voice sounds much cooler than his actual voice. cool

NO.WAY.!
  11. Thomas wrote

I absolutely agree. To both.

The german dubbing of LOTR was a masterpiece, especially with regards to the extended versions. Usually, if they do extended or director´s cuts for DVDs, you always notice a new scene because of the bad dubbing of additional scenes, but the extended versions of the LOTR movies were the best dubbing job I´ve EVER heard. They had to redub some scenes completely when only small pieces got inserted, and some scenes and mixes were even better done than in the theatrical version. One more reason to watch the extended cuts only, although most of the time I watch the originals, of course, but from time to time I have to see the german one (my mom wanted to see them, and some friends of ours who don´t speak english), and I´m happy that it´s not a pein in the ass.

And the german Bruce Willis is COOL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You can't seriously be wanting to actually pass the notion that any dubbing, no matter how good it's being performed, is actually better than the original. ..
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, we grow up listening to the german voices and usually don´t know the originals ever. It´s no wonder you get so used to the dubbing voice that you actually like it a lot. It´s a totally surreal thing, of course, and there are many examples where we would like the german voice better than the original one, but usually, I indeed prefer the original. Not so with good old Bruce.

German Bruce Willis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2lfE9hJv0s

And another story, when Gillian Anderson heard her german voice, Franziska Pigulla, she asked what she could do to get that voice instead of her own to dub her own stuff in english (and yeah, that story is true).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7uEFVQfdrI
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    German Bruce Willis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2lfE9hJv0s

Hey, I love the german version of "Yippee Ki Yay Motherfucker" biggrin

Spanish Bruce Willis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwatO8S- … re=related
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you