• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    Since there was no thread for this composer (aside from a couple about his MSM releases)...

There's an interview up at http://lokutusost.ufouni.cz/filmmusic/f … erview.htm

On the topic of his unused score for Tsotsi...

I wrote a very different score than the original. Mine was based around one main theme played by African flutes, Female African voice and orchestral strings. In fact most of my score was written around strings. I did write for African percussion/kalimba and unusual woodwind like the Bass Ocarina but these instruments sat around my thematic score led by voice and strings.
    My score, which is not on the film today for various political reasons, sat well in the film but I am not sure how it plays without it. (I haven't listened to it since I did it and nor have I sent it out) I have retained ownership of it and so possibly it could be released but I am sure if would have to be under a different title. I would have to look into this.

Wow! I hope it gets a release. Go Mikael, go! wink

I hope someone will also dig up his earlier scores like Wake of Death and release them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    I have one score of his, Madre Teresa which is very good and very very John Barry influenced which is not surprising when you read the interview.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    I have one score of his, Madre Teresa which is very good and very very John Barry influenced which is not surprising when you read the interview.

Ooh yes! That's what got me started on Farley. I went bonkers on it and had to recommend it to friends for the Barry-ish style.

Timmer,
    You must must must check out Modigliani. It's a beauty!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ooh yes! That's what got me started on Farley. I went bonkers on it and had to recommend it to friends for the Barry-ish style.

Timmer,
    You must must must check out Modigliani. It's a beauty!

I'm being sold by the minute, will do! cool beer

p.s. Put composer threads in CAPITALS Bhel smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

p.s. Put composer threads in CAPITALS Bhel smile

Ah, forgot that. Done!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Flock is a big disappointment for me, it's totally uninteresting, without a single memorable cue or motif to distinguish it at all. Probably one of the only weak MMM scores I've heard so far and I must have nearly 20 now, they've mostly been of the highest quality.

On the other hand, The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is just a beautiful melodic score. Very, very good. I can't speak highly enough of that one.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    Cashback will finally be released on 9 february!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009
    Joep wrote

I like the cover lick
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Disagree. They originally they had two versions of it for the film, but naturally the censured edition (with the title overshadowing 'something') was used the most.

http://images.google.nl/images?q=cashba … amp;tab=wi
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    Disagree. They originally they had two versions of it for the film, but naturally the censured edition (with the title overshadowing 'something') was used the most.

http://images.google.nl/images?q=cashba … amp;tab=wi

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote

I didn't like it much as a standalone listen, though it works wonderfully in the film proper.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    A friend of mine just sent me a suite from Madre Teresa and I was really impressed. Didn't know about this composer at all. I just got on itunes the Modigliani score and from the little I heard so far, I am looking forward to explore more of his music. Any more suggestions?
  1. Martin, Madre Teresa does have some really beautiful music. Definitely my favourite CD from him.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Madre Teresa is lovely, very John Barry like which ( no surprise here ) is no bad thing in my book. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    John Barry was on of the main reasons why Guy Farley became a film composer - he really adores Barry's work. I think you can hear that in man of Guy's melodic scores - the strong belief in the power of melody is there just as is in Barry's scores. I have also felt that Guy brings back very fond memories of Georges Delerue.

MovieScore Media has release three scores by Guy: Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey (http://www.moviescoremedia.com/toomey.html), The Flock (http://www.moviescoremedia.com/flock.html) and Land of the Blind (online only: http://www.moviescoremedia.com/landoftheblind.html). (Sorry not all sound clips on these pages work properly, we are in the process of updating all pages on our site so that broken links work again...)

Hope you like what you hear - Guy is destined for BIG things! And by the way, MovieScore Media has another awesome score by Guy coming out in September/October! Stay tuned for announcements!

Cheers,

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Mikael, I LIKE what I'm hearing and I agree that certain tracks evoke a feel of Delerue. Time that I expanded from my only purchase of Madre Teresa.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    No wonder I like Farley's music. Barry and Delerue in the same sentence is a good indicator for me. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions Mikael.
  2. I transcribed and soon-to-be published interview with Farley, where he goes into details how he met Barry and his love for him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll look forward to reading it Justin.
  3. moviescore wrote
    Hope you like what you hear - Guy is destined for BIG things! And by the way, MovieScore Media has another awesome score by Guy coming out in September/October! Stay tuned for announcements!

Cheers,

mc

looking forward to it, Christmas of Jonathan Toomey was wonderful smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    moviescore wroteAnd by the way, MovieScore Media has another awesome score by Guy coming out in September/October! Stay tuned for announcements!

Any Guy Farley score release is always welcome! I hope we'll see Wake of Death someday.
  4. Just to expand a small bit: this interview is not by me -- jsut transcribing it.

I'm transcirbing another right now where the composer's British accent is so thick, it's driving me fucking bonkers. spin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Any chance of a sound clip of his accent?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Any chance of a sound clip of his accent?

If Justin's saying it sounds "thick" maybe that it narrows it down a bit - though I'm not going to make any suggestions!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't think of any Geordie film composers!? wink
  6. Timmer wrote

biggrin
  7. Can't provide a sample, but I will say he sounds very similar to a popular British TV series character.
  8. Timmer wrote

Mark Knopfler? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Oh, Guy speaks the most beautiful English! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    Yay! Another Guy Farley score release! bhangra

Got this by email and I don't see it yet on LLL's website-

BOOK OF BLOOD

CLIVE BARKER'S BOOK OF BLOOD: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1105
    Music by Guy Farley
    Limited Edition of 1500 Units

SHIPPING SEPT. 22nd
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "CLIVE BARKER'S BOOK OF BLOOD: LIMITED EDITION" NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com and get your CD autographed by composer Guy Farley and writer/director John Harrison at no additional charge. Autographs are first come, first serve while supplies last and are not guaranteed. For a limited Time.

Presenting the original score to the all-new horror feature CLIVE BARKER'S BOOK OF BLOOD, written and directed by John Harrison (DUNE, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE). Composer Guy Farley (THE BROKEN, THE FLOCK) crafts a mesmerizing, haunting orchestral score to compliment this atmospheric telling of renowned author Clive Barker's chilling supernatural tale. CD Booklet features liner notes from the composer and director/writer. This is a Limited Edition of 1500 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Book of Blood 1:51
    2. Tollington House 2:12
    3. Mary's Dream 2:32
    4. Ring of Roses 2:07
    5. Lovers 1:42
    6. Shunned 1:32
    7. The Story 1:49
    8. Premonition 2:41
    9. Simon 1:22
    10. The Fountain 2:37
    11. She's Gone 1:30