• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    the collection was released on itunes today!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's what you get when you don't assign these works to true sound professionals.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    MORE ISSUES WITH THE INDY BOX SET

From Neil S. Bulk at JWfan.net

"I noticed on Raiders right away that things were fast. I only loaded it into Pro Tools to make sure I wasn't being critical, which no doubt some of you would say I am.

So here's a little video of "Airplane Fight". The left channel is the DCC and the right channel is the Concord. The waveform in the picture shows part of it that's off. Note that they start at precisely the same time. Also, this is not a true stereo mix here, I panned both channels over to either the left or the right. And the volume differences are simply because I turned down the Concord version. None of that effects the actual speed difference comparison. So far "Map Room" is the worst offender. It doesn't line up with the movie and is over 3 seconds sooner than the DCC, which does line up with the movie.

And every cue on the Concord Raiders was faster to varying degrees. So far "Map Room", "Well of the Souls" and "Airplane Fight" showed the greatest degree of drift. I haven't checked the sequels yet.

(mono version with phasing here)"

Ok... this is unacceptable. Poor packaging, no liner notes, missing music, a half empty Disc 5, edited down Desert Chase, different pitches and speeds, etc. Good lord did Laurent Bouzereau really drop the ball on this one. I mean, it's not like these scores are important or anything. Let's just throw this shit together, make our money and run!

-Erik-

Well after reading even more sad news about what was supposed to be "the release of the decade" I think I might have a strong drink. Sadly not in celebration!
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

"I noticed on Raiders right away that things were fast. I only loaded it into Pro Tools to make sure I wasn't being critical, which no doubt some of you would say I am.

So here's a little video of "Airplane Fight". The left channel is the DCC and the right channel is the Concord. The waveform in the picture shows part of it that's off. Note that they start at precisely the same time. Also, this is not a true stereo mix here, I panned both channels over to either the left or the right. And the volume differences are simply because I turned down the Concord version. None of that effects the actual speed difference comparison. So far "Map Room" is the worst offender. It doesn't line up with the movie and is over 3 seconds sooner than the DCC, which does line up with the movie.

And every cue on the Concord Raiders was faster to varying degrees. So far "Map Room", "Well of the Souls" and "Airplane Fight" showed the greatest degree of drift. I haven't checked the sequels yet.

Ok... this is unacceptable. Poor packaging, no liner notes, missing music, a half empty Disc 5, edited down Desert Chase, different pitches and speeds, etc. Good lord did Laurent Bouzereau really drop the ball on this one. I mean, it's not like these scores are important or anything. Let's just throw this shit together, make our money and run!

-Erik-

That pisses me off too. And I've been trying to ignore most of the problems. They are all just so... offensive. I'm still going to get it

um...why?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After everything that's been mentioned D I think it speaks for itself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yup. I'm still getting it as well.
    I doubt I'll be able to hear these defects (real though they apparently are) as my enthousiasm appears to dampen any such analysis: for example I've never been able to hear the edits on the Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition (simply because I get completely transported by the music, even when I decide to give it an analytical listen...just isn't happening! smile ).
    So I don't think I'll be hearing the speeding up of Map Room, or any of the other issues.
    In short: this box is fine for and with me.

...though obviously I still have to hear it.
    I may change my mind.
    I don't think so.
    But I may.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    for example I've never been able to hear the edits on the Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition

shocked

They're called Q-Tips. Use them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nananana

Can't hear you.
    tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    omaha wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That pisses me off too. And I've been trying to ignore most of the problems. They are all just so... offensive. I'm still going to get it

um...why?

On a balancing scale, the good wins.
    Who knows if they will ever release a correct release.
    And, I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan!
    Raiders is my favorite film of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    for example I've never been able to hear the edits on the Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition

shocked

-Erik-

Q-tip? confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    Speed isn't the end of the world for me. After all, when I listen to scores in movies they are 4% faster due to the PAL/NTSC framerate difference. I've speed up a couple of cues from Agent Cody Banks because they sound weird to me when I listen to them at their original speed.cheesy

I read Erik's large post about it really quickly, clicked the links, and thought that was how the music was presented on the CD. I almost shat myself. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

shocked

-Erik-

Q-tip? confused

Cue-tip? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Q-tips?

We call them Cotton Wool Buds! ( they look like mini-pugel sticks )

Personally I don't think it's a good idea stinking things in your ears.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    What if... the music has always been presented 3 seconds slower? Ha? And we've never heard it right, until now! Ha! Got you there!

Or, what if that guy never took the time to over-analyse the pitch and whathaveyounots of the recording? You probably never realised it. I mean, in the whole of roughly 4 minutes, it's sped up with 3 seconds?? It's a crime!

Who knows how many other scores have that same problem which you didn't notice? And maybe it was needed in the process of remastering? Maybe it gave way to a crisper recording? Or you think he giggled in an evil way while upping the speed, "mwuhaha, they'll never realise it!!"

Frankly, we've all been spoiled tremendously and I'd say that is offensive. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NONE of the "issues" mentioned by Erik above are any issues at all to me. It's just NIT-PICKING where I come from!

No, this is a superb release, a 100% A+ presentation on all counts.

Whether or not I'm going to get it myself is entirely a financial question, but from what I've read so far, NOTHING can be faulted with the release, the decisions or the presentation.

Poor packaging....no, it looks quite spectacular to me
    No liner notes....not a big issue as long as you're getting the other stuff
    Missing music...HOORAY!
    A half empty Disc 5.....Great! It's about QUALITY, not quantity
    Edited down Desert Chase....It makes musical sense, so GO AHEAD!
    Different pitches and speeds....I wouldn't know that if it bit me in the ass! As long as it doesn't like chipmunks are playing it, it will be fine!

I think the hardcore INDY fans are unable to withdraw themselves from their own fandom here and wallow in the greatness of it all rather than all the tiny, itsy-bitsy details that NO ONE but them would know in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hear hear, Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NONE of the "issues" mentioned by Erik above are any issues at all to me. It's just NIT-PICKING where I come from!

It's not nitpicking. They are all genuine and legitimate complaints. I think we ALL appreciate the fact that these scores are FINALLY being released but if you are going to do this, do it right. Sped up tracks and pitch problems are unacceptable. Is there no quality control? Yes, the majority of people who will buy this won't notice it but I think it's totally unprofessional to release a score like these especially when the DCC version has the correct speed.

Thor wrote
    No, this is a superb release, a 100% A+ presentation on all counts.

Far from A+ DCC's Raiders is A+.

Thor wrote
    Poor packaging....no, it looks quite spectacular to me
    No liner notes....not a big issue as long as you're getting the other stuff

Wow! A collage of pictures. How spectacular. Cardboard sleeves. WE HAVE A WINNER HERE! rolleyes

Thor wrote
    Missing music...HOORAY!

rolleyes

Thor wrote
    A half empty Disc 5.....Great! It's about QUALITY, not quantity

Disc 5 should be the place where everything that was left off Discs 1-4 should go. A missed opportunity. Even you would agree with that. Hell, that's been your stance since the beginning of time. Offer the extra material, alternates, unused cues, source music, etc on an extra disc. This is what Disc 5 should have been but it's far from complete.

Thor wrote
    Edited down Desert Chase....It makes musical sense, so GO AHEAD!

No it doesn't. It's a jarring piece that contains UNNECESSARY edits to a fantastic piece of music. And the edits are really, really BAD!

Thor wrote
    Different pitches and speeds....I wouldn't know that if it bit me in the ass! As long as it doesn't like chipmunks are playing it, it will be fine!

True, it's not noticeable unless you put the DCC and Concord tracks side by side but this is just another problems to add to the comedy of errors already associated with this release.

Thor wrote
    I think the hardcore INDY fans are unable to withdraw themselves from their own fandom here and wallow in the greatness of it all rather than all the tiny, itsy-bitsy details that NO ONE but them would know in the first place.

It's not just the hard core Indy fans. It's the fans of FILM MUSIC And these aren't just some ordinary scores we are talking about here. It's Indiana freaking Jones. Christ, I'm sure more care was given to Delta Force than the Indy Box set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar

Whether or not I'm going to get it myself is entirely a financial question

You can't spare $40-$50 for the best soundtrack release of the decade? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    rolleyes Some of you guys trip me out.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm with Erik on this. I'm not the biggest fan of the Indy scores, but even I understand what it's like to get something that's nearly there but not quite. As I've said before - if music is missing because then the master tapes have been destroyed/lost then I'll accept that, but not because it doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the CD. Speeding cues up is just silly (I would love to hear the reasoning behind that), and cutting down things like Desert Chase just makes no sense whatsoever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I'm with Erik on this. I'm not the biggest fan of the Indy scores

I don't think those sentences really mix well.

Btw, I thought Raiders was one of your favourites? confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Btw, I thought Raiders was one of your favourites? confused

It is. But in terms of the other 3 I don't really know them that well. And Raiders is the only I'm least hyped about as we already have most of the music from it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

:pawel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not just the hard core Indy fans. It's the fans of FILM MUSIC And these aren't just some ordinary scores we are talking about here. It's Indiana freaking Jones. Christ, I'm sure more care was given to Delta Force than the Indy Box set.

-Erik-

Well, I am a fan of film music, Indiana Jones AND John Williams and I have no problem whatsoever with any of these things. And God knows there are many like me. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the complainers in this case constitutes a minority. It's just that they're very vocal about it.

All I care about is to have a good Indiana Jones listening experience. Anything else is bonus (the interview, the extra bits, the packaging). EVERYTHING about this set screams "good listening experience", although I was perfectly content with the existing soundtracks as well.

I don't give a monkey's ass if cues are sped up somewhat, if cues have a different edit than the film, if there are missing pieces that don't add anything to the overall listening experience. It's 1) totally irrelevant and 2) the completely wrong focus...looking at the glass half-empty, not half-full.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited
    I think guys the bottom line is , you don't have to buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it, this complaining is fruitless and getting really know where, if you buy it knowing the problems then you have no room to complain, lets move on. wink

also its very reasonably priced , 45 bucks for 5 cds of great music.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Thor wrote

All I care about is to have a good Indiana Jones listening experience. Anything else is bonus (the interview, the extra bits, the packaging). EVERYTHING about this set screams "good listening experience", although I was perfectly content with the existing soundtracks as well.

I don't give a monkey's ass if cues are sped up somewhat, if cues have a different edit than the film, if there are missing pieces that don't add anything to the overall listening experience. It's 1) totally irrelevant and 2) the completely wrong focus...looking at the glass half-empty, not half-full.

I agree 100%. I mean, the die-hard JW and Indy music fans have reason to complain, but to a casual fan like me, the package is well-put together (I think Concord is trying to be environmentally-friendly, hence the digipaks) and the sound quality is amazing. The only thing I'm griping is the flimsy paper envelope for the fifth disc, and the CD is hard to get out.

And if the die-hard fans aren't satisfied, there are still the regular CDs, bootlegged music and the LPs for the three original scores. And aren't fans grateful that these new releases have unreleased music -- maybe not all of the original score, but a good deal (especially in the case of TOD) nonetheless?

We should be grateful that Concord decided to do this and not get any new material at all. Instead, the minority are crying foul about the missing music and small issues, it's almost as if Concord just repackaged the original 3 soundtracks and not have done anything, restoration- or missing material-wise.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    (I think Concord is trying to be environmentally-friendly, hence the digipaks)

i doubt it. Probably just tried to save money.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    I've been following this discussion on the sideline for a while now, and have been debating whether or not to join in - mostly because I was undecided about how I felt about these issues.

I think I've reached a conclusion now, and given the new info on the pitch/speed-stuff, I feel I should join in.

The pitch/speed-stuff doesn't matter too much with me as long as it's on a minor level. While I appreciate Erik's sentiments that it's unprofessional, I doubt I would've noticed it if I hadn't been made aware. And even now that I'm aware, I very highly doubt I'll notice it unless I play the new editions side by side with the originals. Which I don't see myself doing very often, I have to say.

The issues about packaging and missing liner notes don't matter to me either. When it comes to this, it's about the music, nothing else, so I'm absolutely cool with that.

However.

The missing music I find strange, strange, strange - and in a way I think it's both demeaning and condescending to the fans. After so many years where everybody in the industry have known that complete releases of these scores were holy grails to film music fans around the world, it's somewhat akin to pissing down our backs not to give us the whole package. Let the fans make their own compilations if they don't want the entire thing, but give us the choice. Even throw in a sixth disc if the entire missing material couldn't fit on the 5th. It's not as if the final price was going to matter much - Concord pretty much knows this baby will sell. And sell well. Therefore: not giving us all the material is a huge mistake. Huger than huge. Hurley-size huge. Jupiter-size huge.

The Desert Chase-edit. I *will* notice that, I can tell you - Desert Chase being my favourite action track ever. I mean ever. This is not only strange, it's beyong that. We're in Rod Serling-territory here. WTF?

OK, so final verdict. Am I gonna get this? Hell yeah. But am I going to be slightly saddened every time I think about what this could have been? You bet your ass, I am.

Oh, well.. My five cents. An oh, yeah. I'm still around. I know I don't post much, but I check in every day. I'm just do damn busy these days.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.