• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Well, it's not like they could just throw everything on to the sets. Re-use fees come in (I think) 15 minute increments. It probably would have been too expensive for Concord to add another increment, but the Desert Chase edit and the ToD End Credits just seem like unintentional screwups.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Mogens wrote
    I've been following this discussion on the sideline for a while now, and have been debating whether or not to join in - mostly because I was undecided about how I felt about these issues.

I think I've reached a conclusion now, and given the new info on the pitch/speed-stuff, I feel I should join in.

The pitch/speed-stuff doesn't matter too much with me as long as it's on a minor level. While I appreciate Erik's sentiments that it's unprofessional, I doubt I would've noticed it if I hadn't been made aware. And even now that I'm aware, I very highly doubt I'll notice it unless I play the new editions side by side with the originals. Which I don't see myself doing very often, I have to say.

The issues about packaging and missing liner notes don't matter to me either. When it comes to this, it's about the music, nothing else, so I'm absolutely cool with that.

However.

The missing music I find strange, strange, strange - and in a way I think it's both demeaning and condescending to the fans. After so many years where everybody in the industry have known that complete releases of these scores were holy grails to film music fans around the world, it's somewhat akin to pissing down our backs not to give us the whole package. Let the fans make their own compilations if they don't want the entire thing, but give us the choice. Even throw in a sixth disc if the entire missing material couldn't fit on the 5th. It's not as if the final price was going to matter much - Concord pretty much knows this baby will sell. And sell well. Therefore: not giving us all the material is a huge mistake. Huger than huge. Hurley-size huge. Jupiter-size huge.

The Desert Chase-edit. I *will* notice that, I can tell you - Desert Chase being my favourite action track ever. I mean ever. This is not only strange, it's beyong that. We're in Rod Serling-territory here. WTF?

OK, so final verdict. Am I gonna get this? Hell yeah. But am I going to be slightly saddened every time I think about what this could have been? You bet your ass, I am.

Oh, well.. My five cents. An oh, yeah. I'm still around. I know I don't post much, but I check in every day. I'm just do damn busy these days.

I agree with you 101%
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Well written my friend. wink
  1. Thor wrote
    NONE of the "issues" mentioned by Erik above are any issues at all to me. It's just NIT-PICKING where I come from!

No, this is a superb release, a 100% A+ presentation on all counts.

Whether or not I'm going to get it myself is entirely a financial question, but from what I've read so far, NOTHING can be faulted with the release, the decisions or the presentation.

Poor packaging....no, it looks quite spectacular to me
    No liner notes....not a big issue as long as you're getting the other stuff
    Missing music...HOORAY!
    A half empty Disc 5.....Great! It's about QUALITY, not quantity
    Edited down Desert Chase....It makes musical sense, so GO AHEAD!
    Different pitches and speeds....I wouldn't know that if it bit me in the ass! As long as it doesn't like chipmunks are playing it, it will be fine!

I think the hardcore INDY fans are unable to withdraw themselves from their own fandom here and wallow in the greatness of it all rather than all the tiny, itsy-bitsy details that NO ONE but them would know in the first place.

I've been wondering for a while now whether Thor is on the payroll of some hidden guild of soundtrack producers who need a 'voice' on the message boards in support of every bad decision they make. It's the only way to account for his extremely ex-ante conservative stances. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited
    Mogens wrote
    The missing music I find strange, strange, strange - and in a way I think it's both demeaning and condescending to the fans. After so many years where everybody in the industry have known that complete releases of these scores were holy grails to film music fans around the world, it's somewhat akin to pissing down our backs not to give us the whole package. Let the fans make their own compilations if they don't want the entire thing, but give us the choice. Even throw in a sixth disc if the entire missing material couldn't fit on the 5th. It's not as if the final price was going to matter much - Concord pretty much knows this baby will sell. And sell well. Therefore: not giving us all the material is a huge mistake. Huger than huge. Hurley-size huge. Jupiter-size huge..

Again, as I said to Erik before, I really disagree with that. While it is true that many film score fans prefer the scores to be presented in complete and chronological order, there is also a great many who do NOT want this (including myself) - especially those who aren't hardcore Indy music fans.

In order to forward complaints such as these, you have to be a hardcore film music fan that became interested in the artform mostly through films, who prefer C&C presentations and who ALSO have to be a hardcore fan of the Indiana Jones films and scores (and probably also John Williams) and who know every single nook and cranny (or whatever the term is) of the music as it appeared in the movie. When it comes down to it, this is NOT the main target audience of this release. Such releases come from specialty labels like FSM, Intrada, LaLaLand etc., mostly run by fans who aren't so concerned about presenting scores in the best listening order.

I think it is a breath of fresh air that you have an expanded release like this that nonetheless preserves SOME of the re-arranging bit that makes for a better listening experience....that doesn't automatically FORCE consumers to make their own, random presentations of the music on a CD-R and then put the original release on the shelf to gather dust.

It's very, very rare, but very, very welcome!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    And there I profoundly disagree with you, Thor, and without having statistics to back me up, I'd say you are in the minority here. Well, at least we can then agree to disagree smile
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Thor, I don't know how you can say they are going for better listening experience and include stuff like BAD DATES, while hacking up Desert Chase. The full Desert Chase is a much better listening experience than Bad Dates....
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    Everyone can have his/her own opinion, but as a filmscore enthousiast I have to say that I am pretty sure Thor's preferences are an extreme rarity. (and that's a good thing too, otherwise we would get mostly short, abbreviated scores... purely justified by making musical sense?) O.k. that's fine, but just for the mass market and not for collectors... who prefer C&C scores. At least that's what I think, or am I mistaken? ... anyway this thing has been discussed over and over in the El Cid tread...
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mogens wrote
    And there I profoundly disagree with you, Thor, and without having statistics to back me up, I'd say you are in the minority here. Well, at least we can then agree to disagree smile

Oh yes, I'm quite confident that I am in the minority in various online film music fora - including this one, unfortunate as that may be. That's because the majority of soundtrack fans came to the hobby through films (mostly), while I came mostly through MUSIC.

However, in assessing the MAIN TARGET AUDIENCE for the Indiana Jones release, I would guess that the complainers and C&C proponents are in the minority. My taste in soundtrack presentations seems to be in synch with most casual listeners and Indiana Jones fans that aren't necessarily film music nerds.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too found, on regular basis, that several "expanded" or "complete" versions of soundtracks - official and unofficial were too raw for my tastes. I too usually prefer a coherent musical experience over simply "everything", although there are a lot of official CD's that still require better editing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Mogens wrote

Oh yes, I'm quite confident that I am in the minority in various online film music fora - including this one, unfortunate as that may be.

I'm with ya, Thor! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I too found, on regular basis, that several "expanded" or "complete" versions of soundtracks - official and unofficial were too raw for my tastes.

biggrin
    An excellent analogy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    Oh yes, I'm quite confident that I am in the minority in various online film music fora - including this one, unfortunate as that may be. That's because the majority of soundtrack fans came to the hobby through films (mostly), while I came mostly through MUSIC.

But do you think it's stupid that they haven't included everything else on a bonus disc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As the current bonus disk apparently is pretty shoddily packaged, I wouldn't welcome a second one in the same package!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    But do you think it's stupid that they haven't included everything else on a bonus disc?

Not really, no. I don't really care, to be honest. I just want good listening experiences, and that's that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

Not really, no. I don't really care, to be honest. I just want good listening experiences, and that's that.

On a 'Bonus disc'? Stick the whole lot on it! Everyone's happy then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

On a 'Bonus disc'? Stick the whole lot on it! Everyone's happy then.

BINGO!

Thor, a bonus disc with all the remaining cues is something you have been preaching since the beginning of time just as long as you get a solid listening experience on the main disc. You say you listen to film music because of the MUSIC but I'm surprised that you would not be the little bit interested to hear what those other UNRELEASED cues sound like and as to whether or not they would have IMPROVED upon the LISTENING EXPERIENCE.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, he doesn't care as the current release is satisfying enough.
    That's the difference.
    We can go back and forth on this, but the simple fact remains that you and Thor (& me) have/had different expectations.

That said, all things being equal, and assuming there would have been no additional effort or cost, it does seem an odd choice to not cater for both fields of listeners in one go: keeping the package exactly as is, but cramming the bonus disk to the gills would arguably have been a commercially more interesting venture (I'm sure they won't lose any money on it now, but as many people as are going to purchase this box, even more would have bought it with this additional (fictitional) bonus disk).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alright, then cram the bonus disc to its brim point with extra tracks if you wish!! No biggie for me, as long as I have the original soundtracks in a good presentation otherwise. I guess it's like that fourth bonus disc in the Star Wars Arista box, which I never play (but I play the originals of this set FAR more often than the RCA expansions, which I almost never play at all). I'd rather have a bonus disc full of interviews and stuff, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Doesn't anyone remember the supposedly "ultimate" 4-disc release of the original Star Wars trilogy soundtracks? That was supposed to be definitive, and yet they pissed on us the same way it seems they're doing now. Several years later they finally released each score individually in its own 2-CD set, forcing us to buy it all over again. Give it another 8~10 years and I forsee the Indy soundtracks will get the same treatment.

It's not pissing on the fan that Mr. Lucas is doing, it's simply milking them for all they're worth.

With the economy as bad as it is, Mr. Lucas obviously needs more money to secure his future.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thor wrote
    Alright, then cram the bonus disc to its brim point with extra tracks if you wish!! No biggie for me, as long as I have the original soundtracks in a good presentation otherwise. I guess it's like that fourth bonus disc in the Star Wars Arista box, which I never play (but I play the originals of this set FAR more often than the RCA expansions, which I almost never play at all). I'd rather have a bonus disc full of interviews and stuff, though.

Yup, just read that comment. That's exactly what I was referring to.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    Doesn't anyone remember the supposedly "ultimate" 4-disc release of the original Star Wars trilogy soundtracks? That was supposed to be definitive, and yet they pissed on us the same way it seems they're doing now. Several years later they finally released each score individually in its own 2-CD set, forcing us to buy it all over again. Give it another 8~10 years and I forsee the Indy soundtracks will get the same treatment.

Then again, if that does happen, I'll STILL buy them again. They are milking it, and it's friggin' stupid, but in the world we live in they know they can get away with it.
  2. Ex ante conservative is the term somebody is looking for. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Then again, if that does happen, I'll STILL buy them again. They are milking it, and it's friggin' stupid, but in the world we live in they know they can get away with it.

Why wouldn't they continue selling crap via very strong promotion? They see it WORKS WONDERS with the vast majority of film music fans out there. Lots of money into pockets that almost tear apart by it, is what we're talking about here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods with the Cinematic Sound we've all been waiting for!:

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    Erik Woods with the Cinematic Sound we've all been waiting for!:

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

wink beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why wouldn't they continue selling crap via very strong promotion? They see it WORKS WONDERS with the vast majority of film music fans out there. Lots of money into pockets that almost tear apart by it, is what we're talking about here.

What they should realize is that the pool of film music fans isn't vast! Estimated at 3000 worldwide, right?

No, I think it's a safer assumption that they're doing this not because they're targeting film music fans, but rather LucasArts fans, who range in the millions worldwide. In fact we probably have the people who are exclusively LucasArt fans to blame for not buying enough of Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition to render a similar 2-CD treatment of Episodes II and III cost-effective. Grr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I bought three, just so's my unca George could make more people as happy as me.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    I listened to rant portion of the show and I smiled , Erik God love ya!! We do!!! Great Job with the show too.

here's to you my friend beer
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    Apparantly, the individual titles will be available this year, and pretty soon as well? Dutch online shop bol.com lists them as available at november 24th, and a German site has them at the 21st.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/muziek/indiana- … index.html

...stupidly enough, it lacks an important part of the title (sigh), but the EAN code corresponds with:

http://www.exlibris.ch/musik/Film_Sound … 31228.aspx

(or is this a well known fact?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    moonie wrote
    I listened to rant portion of the show and I smiled , Erik God love ya!! We do!!! Great Job with the show too.

here's to you my friend beer

Thanks man... much appreciated!

-Erik-