• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, isn't it a mindblowing scenery? I was so impressed with Bregt's photos.

Very!

The mountains remind me very much of Scotland and I'd guess that geologically they are "related".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The camping was much cooler than I thought. Definitely way better to see the region and explore some more off road places (wild camping). Pity tough that some campings had campers and didn't separate them from the tents. We had that 3 times, but only one time it was really a turn down, the other times we could "park" close to the water or have fun at a camp fire.

The nicest thing was waking up with some of the best views ever ... in extreme low temperatures. biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    May it be the first of many Bregt!

Any plans for future trips?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not sure i'd put the "extremely low temperatures" in the same sentence with "nicest" but still, i am confident that it's both a very special experience that you have to live in order to understand and it's not apprehended via standard words! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am not sure i'd put the "extremely low temperatures" in the same sentence with "nicest" but still, i am confident that it's both a very special experience that you have to live in order to understand and it's not apprehended via standard words! punk

Very true words! You'd be surprised what you'll put up with for the sake of a magnificent experience D. cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    What exactly does wild camping mean? Bush = toilet?

Seriously Bregt, your pictures made many of us enthousiastic about Norway! I'm wondering if the things you did can be done with children as well, I mean the climbs and kayaking and everything? I think it would be cool. I get cranky when I get too much sun anyway...
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wild camping is searching for a place into the wild (like in Gudvangen) and camp there, indeed without toilet. wink But just being there alone is the main attraction, without campers around you.

I don't think the climb to 1200m is something for children though! 4 hours of a really steady pace, going up the whole time, but with (still droling) amazing views! The kayaking I don't know, these boats are quite big and the children need to peddle as well of course, but perhaps when they're 12/14 or so, that'd be much better I think. The fjord waters are pretty calm (though the hard wind on our last day was killing us) so it depends a lot on what the weather is like too. Don't underestimate the distances in Norway and on the fjords. When we were kayaking and we saw a village in the distance, we sometimes peddled for 2 hours before we were there. Kayaking 6 kilometers takes about 2 hours, for unexperienced people like myself. wink

But you should definitely do all this once! cheesy
    (And mind the crowded tourist activities, because there's several tours there called 'Norway in a nutshell' or 'Sognefjord in a nutshell' that just do our trip but in one day, mostly AMericans who think they can see a country in one day. wink )

Timmer wrote
    May it be the first of many Bregt!

Any plans for future trips?

Thanks! It will. cheesy

Next year the other two want do something more calmer and cheaper, but I don't necessarly want that. wink East-Europe (Letland, Estland and such or the Balkan region), something Asian (like Cambodia) or perhaps once Portugal. Any recommandations (no, not the Everest please wink )?

I also want to go back to Norway, definitely to Oslo and Risor (where Thor and Hans live) once, and then Preikestolen (although touristy, I just want to be there) and then with the boat to the Lofoton Islands. But that's for when I have a lot of money!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    Talk them into going to Cambodia Bregt, I've never been but it would be fantastic!

NEW ZEALAND is one of the best places I've ever been, gobsmacking scenery ( most if not all of us have seen it in the LOTR films smile wink ) though it's a long, looooonnnng way away ( unless your name is Michael, Atham, DavidOC wink ).

I wouldn't recommend Everest anyway, firstly because it's a tough dangerous trek and secondly because Nepal is politically unstable at the moment. The best trek in Nepal is actually the Annapurna Circuit / Sanctuary which hikes through jungles, waterfalls, Indiana Jones style rope bridges, gorges and right up on to the Tibetan plateau, all on an unbelievable scale. Definitely worth thinking about one day?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote

Bush = toilet?

Pretty much, yeah wink Oh and i am thinking of another BUSH that could fit next to the word "toilet" biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregje wrote

Bush = toilet?

Pretty much, yeah wink Oh and i am thinking of another BUSH that could fit next to the word "toilet" biggrin

Oi! Leave Kate's good name alone! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The other, the other!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The other, the other!

i did know who you were refering to rolleyes wink
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008 edited
    Alright, I returned from my hike up Norway's highest mountain, Galdhøpiggen (2,469 meters), yesterday. Report:

My friend and I drove from Oslo on Friday at about 19:30, and arrived at Lom, a small village/town about 5-6 hours North from the capital, at appr. 1:00 at night. This lies just at the edge of Jotunheimen, the massive mountain range and national park that hosts two of Norway's highest tops and several glaciers, among other things. We spent the night in a cabin at the tourist centre. Curiously, we arrived so late at night that the reception was closed, but we walked into the pub nearby (also at the tourist centre) and the bartender helped us out. He even gave us a higher-standard cabin for the same price as the lower-standard ones! That's what you get from travelling off-season! smile

When we woke up on Saturday, we were greeted with strong winds and rain. We understood quickly that a hike up Galdhøpiggen was impossible today, but we decided to drive out to the cabin area inside the national park anyway. This was a 30-40 minute drive from Lom, at a place called Spiterstulen. So we settled in there, and since it was late at day and the weather was bad, we decided to just take a shorter "test hike" (about 2 hours) up a smaller "hill" and save the big one for Sunday (to test equipment, our general shape etc.). This was fine enough....the colours this time of year (strong dashes of yellow, red and green) are truly spectacular. We relaxed in the "peisestue" (don't know the English term...it's the living room area for all guests) and went early to bed.

When we woke up on Sunday, we found out that Winter had suddenly and unexpectedly arrived! It had been snowing during the night - not heavily, thank God, but combined with winds, it was certainly cold enough. That did not deter us, however. We decided to trust the forecast, which promised better conditions later in the day, and started walking at about 9:30. For people in normal condition, you have to expect 5-6 hours up and 2-3 hours down. The first "climb" is incredibly steep and heavy. And then it just gets worse. smile Even though there is the occasional glacier to walk on, it is mostly tons and tons of small rocks and stones that you have to climb over and jump across. Since it had been snowing, many of these were covered in snow, which not only made them slippery...you could also step BETWEEN them! Still, we went on, with only occasional 20-second stops to catch our breath. After about 4-5 hours, only ONE hour from the top and just 20 minutes from the first (of three) "main" top, a sudden and merciless snow blizzard slapped us off our feet. Minutes later, we encounted a steady stream of perhaps a dozen people that had to turn back due to the sudden shift in weather. "It's even worse at the top", they said. After talking about it for a couple of minutes, we decided to do the same. Underestimating the mountain is a very, very dangerous thing to do - even though both of us were in good shape, not feeling cold or hungry or thirsty. It was not worth it.

So we turned back. Kinda disappointing, but I'm hellbent to try again...perhaps in the Spring or Summer when conditions aren't so unstable.

Anyways, it was a great trip! My friend took some pictures on his cell phone, and I'll be sure to post them here once I get them from him.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008 edited
    Sounds brilliant Thor! A very wise decision to turn back too....well done beer

I would guess "Peisestue" could be roughly translated as 'Lounge room' or 'communal room' where you can meet and talk with other travellers.

Believe it or not I'm actually envious, it's been too long since I've done any serious hiking.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Just stunning pictures - thanks so much for sharing them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Wow Thor. Thanks for the report. That snow storm was quite unexpected then. How high did you eventually where you had to return?

Jotunheimen, that's quite close to where we've been (Lom was once one of our planned stops, eventually not so easy to get to). Our hike to the top of the fjord was a walk in the park compared to yours. shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    OK, I have a few pictures up of our trip last month:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 … amp;ref=mf

By the way, can non-facebook users see these pictures or do I have to paste them in one by one?

P.S. Bregt, I see I forgot to answer your question earlier. We were just 150 meters or so from the top when we had to turn back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Thor wrote
    OK, I have a few pictures up of our trip last month:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 … amp;ref=mf

By the way, can non-facebook users see these pictures or do I have to paste them in one by one?

P.S. Bregt, I see I forgot to answer your question earlier. We were just 150 meters or so from the top when we had to turn back.

photos-my photos-set album privacy or something like that
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Or copy the link from the bottom of the page that says "share with people that are not on Facebook". smile

Thanks for these pictures Thor. The one where you're looking towards the mountain valley is incredible. Out of this world!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, try this link then:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 … =530696277
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Loved the pics Thor, I doubt it'll surprise you when I say this is so totally my scene beer

I'd love to show off some of my pics ( Bregt and the rest of the Bristol meet crew saw a handful of prints ) but 99% of them are on slide film, I can transfer them onto disc but this costs money and an awful lot of sorting through thousands, literall, of frames.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    Indeed, Timmer, we would all love to see some of your trek pictures at some point.

By the way, Bregt, I put out a larger version of the picture you mentioned, because I didn't think the small one did it justice. It can be viewed here:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/024.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That is simply breathtaking.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Indeed, Timmer, we would all love to see some of your trek pictures at some point.

By the way, Bregt, I put out a larger version of the picture you mentioned, because I didn't think the small one did i justice. It can be viewed here:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/024.jpg

I love glacial valleys.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    That is simply breathtaking.

You're not that far away from breathtaking landscapes yourself D, both in Greece and nearby countries.....it can be yours too if you dare wink