• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    I'm selfish enough to open a new topic for this. wink But otherwise, where should've posted it. Perhaps we need a new category where people can post about their travels? I love reading those anyway.

As you may have noticed, I'm back since a week and all I could say when I was back, was that is was definitely the best trip ever. What I have seen of sights, nature, spectacle and atmosphere, was just amazing.

Below is a checklist of what I wanted to see/have done/experience if I ever went to Norway:

- see a fjord ----------------------------------------------- check! (I saw more than one obviously wink )
    - see more stars than here in Belgium ----------------- check! (and I saw a lot!)
    - see the Northern Lights --------------------------------- damn! I'll have to go back....
    - camp in the wild (aka not a camping) ----------------- check! Alan, something you should consider wink
    - hike towards the top of a fjord ------------------------- check! And that was the absolute highlight!
    - kayaking the fjords --------------------------------------- check! (even in a mild stormy weather dizzy )
    - see Bergen ------------------------------------------------- check! really cosy and cool city.
    - eat moose/elk --------------------------------------------- check!
    - having a waterfall power shower ----------------------- check! (= going close to a high waterfall, with rain clothing though wink )

A quick report:
    We visited the region of Bergen and the Sognefjord, the second largest fjord in the world. 204km long and sometimes almost 2km deep. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sognefjord). We also spent a few days in the Hardanger fjord region (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardangerfjord).

We arrived in Bergen at night. Because we hadn't booked a hostel, we thought of sleeping at the Comfort Zone in the airport, but it was completely full. So we decided, lets go to Bergen and see where we can stay for a couple of hours (because we had to take the ferry to Sogndal at 8AM that same day). Eventually, as expected, everything was fully booked in the center, so we went to the Nordness area and slept in the park there. Beautiful to see the sun coming up there, at the port of Bergen!

So, on the ferry, we decided to go to Solvorn, and stay at Eplet Bed & Apple/breakfast (www.eplet.net). If you're ever in the region, stay at Eplet! What a great place (away from campers and such), friendly and interested host (Trond!), what a cosy town, right at the Lustrafjord, a ferry away from Urnes. In Urnes we visited a famous stave church (a typically built church in Norway, the oldest one) and mountainbiked to Feigumfossen (200m height), where we had the "power shower". Quite freaky because the force of the water was so strong, that it was like standing in a big storm. We also could hear cracking the walls and rocks because of its power.

In Jostedal, we kayakked to the Austdalsbreen glacier, part of the Jostedalsbreen glacier platteua (the biggest in Europe!). After wo hous of kayakking on the lake, we prepared for a walk on the glacier itself! Holy mother of ice god! These glaciers are mighty. We finished by seeing Nigardsbreen, the largest one of them all. Impressive to look at, especially since it's also such a beautiful one.

We also wild camped at Gudvangen, along the river there. Fantastic view again, one of the highlights. The overnight kayak tour (3days) with Nordic in Naeroyfjord and Aurlandfjord (from Gudvangen to Undredal) was stunning. Especially the hike on the second day (close to Dyrdal) to the top (1200m) of the fjord. After 4 hours of climbing, we had an incredible view on Naeroy and Gudvangen. Holy shit!

We didn't visit the Flamsbaane and other tourist traps though, as we heard of people along the way, that it was not worth it. Only one time we were tricked, at Eidfjord, in the Hardangerfjord (which is also called the orchard of Norway, full of fruit trees). We just wanted to find a bus to Voringfossen, but the lady at the tourist office said, we could only do that with the tourist bus, that also visited the Hardangervidda museum. Afterwards, this was just a total ripoff.

Disappointed we were, we decided not to stay any longer in Eidfjord and we took the boat to Lofthus in the Hardangerfjord, where we had again a fantastic camping place for our tent, right in front of the point where many waterfalls come together at the other side of the fjord. Pretty stormy night though there. Our tent was shaking in all directions and the "roof" was pulled down on our heads a few times. Since our tent was on the edge of a terrace that went down 2 meters, I didn't close my eyes very quickly that day. Freaky yes, but the more spectacle and adventure, the better!

Our final two days in Bergen were very cool. We were surprised about how much fun we had here. Some excellent (quite cheap) (student) bars, great food for reasonable prises and some really nice places, even Floybanen, which was very touristic, but worth the visit because of the nice view on Bergen. (Floyen is one of the 7 mountains where Bergen is built around).

Anyway, the weather during our stay was better than here in Western Europe I heard. 20 degrees and more during the day. Though, around midnight and especially in the early morning, around 5AM, it sometimes was extremely cold. Lucky we slept with 3 in one tent. Three guys, of which the one in the middle, we called "it's his birthday". wink

Anyway, so much more to tell, but I'll do that once when I post pictures later this week. If you ever doubt of going to Norway, then please go. I hope I can go back once, perhaps to the Lofoten region then (to check my Northern Lights point) and obviously to visit Hans and Thor!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    Bregt m'main man cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    Oh to be young and take a trip like that.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A moose tastes of...chicken?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote

Better than that. Meat from the wild is always a bit more tasty.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wow Bregt, seems you had a truly spectacular time, one experience that you'll carry with you for years! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

It's a well known FACT that anything exotic will taste like chicken. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He ate moose and camped in the snow...

Jolly good show, lad. Keep up the old Empire spirit, eh whot?
    <takes another cracker with caviar, washing it down with bubbly>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    He ate moose and camped in the snow...

Jolly good show, lad. Keep up the old Empire spirit, eh whot?
    <takes another cracker with caviar, washing it down with bubbly>

I say old boy, rather decadent eh what!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin biggrin biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    The photos at facebook are stunning; i am speechless!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Those pictures are amazing dude! I swear you get way better holiday pics than anyone else I know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks! But ... the best pictures have yet to come!

The highlight was the 3 day kayak trip. Uploading them this evening. I'll link to some higher resolution images as well, because the small size at Facebook does not justice. I've a couple of short videos as well.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks! But ... the best pictures have yet to come!

The highlight was the 3 day kayak trip. Uploading them this evening. I'll link to some higher resolution images as well, because the small size at Facebook does not justice. I've a couple of short videos as well.

I look forward to it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    Thanks a lot for the report, Bregt...not to mention the wonderful pictures up at Facebook. It makes Norway look exotic even to me! smile

I always say that foreigners should check out the things you've done rather than city shopping or other things that aren't really Norwegian. It is those exact activities and those exact sceneries that form our "national postcard" to the outside world. Not that it wouldn't have been nice to meet you here in Oslo, but to be perfectly honest, it isn't really that much of a city - at least not when compared to the Londons or Parises or Pragues or Barcelonas or whatever. Sorry, but it isn't, that's an honest answer.

I've done my fair share of trips to the Norwegian countryside, though, and I've been to Sognefjorden a couple of times. Beautiful stuff that I can never get enough of.

Speaking of which, in a couple of weeks, I'm hiking up Norway's highest mountaintop, Galdhøpiggen. Amazingly, I've never been there before. Of course, its height (2469 meters) is mere peanuts compared to Timmer's exotic excursions into Tibet and Mount Everest, but it's fine for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    2469 meters is not to be sniffed at Thor, it's still one fuck of a chunk of rock and deserves every respect. The great thing about "little" mountains is that in most cases you can reach the tops and get fantastic 360 degree views ( depending on weather ), the highest you can walk to in the Himalaya is around 6000 meters and your still looking up, so unless you're a Reinhold Mesner ( probably the most celebrated mountaineer ever ) you never get the full view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    Citishopping is the stupidest thing to do in ANY PART OF THE WORLD! It really gets on my nerves, you have the same f*cking brands and clothes in your own country for God's sake!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hey Thor. Thanks! Travel shopping is the lamest thing I know. It's like spending double money. If I go shopping somewhere else, it's in a fake market or in local shops, for local people. biggrin

Oslo is probably a bit like Bergen, but less "old" and "cute" I think? I like smaller cities like Bergen (Bath was extremely nice as well for example). You've the idea after a visit that you've seen and sensed it more than a big city.

Also, it seems that in Norway, once you're out the center, you get to see the beautiful surroundings very quick. I imagine Oslo has this as well? An hour or so outside the city and you're at some kind of fjord or landscape...

Have you hiked in Hardangervidda Thor? Or travalled on the Lofoten Islands? Those two things are what I also want to do once in Norway, especially the latter. Hopefully connected with a visit to Oslo and Risor. smile

Your country is awesome!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Citishopping is the stupidest thing to do in ANY PART OF THE WORLD! It really gets on my nerves, you have the same f*cking brands and clothes in your own country for God's sake!

It depends?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Hey Thor. Thanks! Travel shopping is the lamest thing I know. It's like spending double money. If I go shopping somewhere else, it's in a fake market or in local shops, for local people. biggrin

Oslo is probably a bit like Bergen, but less "old" and "cute" I think? I like smaller cities like Bergen (Bath was extremely nice as well for example). You've the idea after a visit that you've seen and sensed it more than a big city.

Also, it seems that in Norway, once you're out the center, you get to see the beautiful surroundings very quick. I imagine Oslo has this as well? An hour or so outside the city and you're at some kind of fjord or landscape...

Have you hiked in Hardangervidda Thor? Or travalled on the Lofoten Islands? Those two things are what I also want to do once in Norway, especially the latter. Hopefully connected with a visit to Oslo and Risor. smile

Your country is awesome!

Thanks.

Yeah, I hiked on Hardangervidda with my parents when I was a small kid, but that's a long time ago, so I don't remember much. In 1995, I again travelled with my family to Lofoten (with two other Danish families) for a socalled "Rorbu-ferie" - a holiday where we spend our days in fishing "shacks" by the sea. Fishing there was almost no fun, because by the time we threw out the bait, we dragged up a ton of cod and whatnot. The midnight sun was pretty spectacular, too. I remember one day we went out at "night" to fish, and just 50 meters away, two whales clipped the surface. Quite a spectacle - and SCARY! - when you're sitting in a tiny boat.

And you're right about Oslo. In area, it's one of the biggest in Europe (obviously not in population), mainly because there are so many forest areas AROUND the city centre, with small lakes, hills, the Oslo fjord etc. It's pretty decent for a Sunday walk or weekend sleepover!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sounds like my kind of city then. wink

Let us see pictures of Galdhøpiggen when you're back. wink)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote

I don't have a digital camera myself, but I'll ask my friend to take some pictures. I'll post them here afterwards if I can work it out!

By the way, what did you think of the beer prices? beer
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote

I don't have a digital camera myself, but I'll ask my friend to take some pictures. I'll post them here afterwards if I can work it out!

They were bad enough in 1987 crazy slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote

Haha. Lets not talk much about that.

Our most expensive one was 79 NOK and our cheapest 46 NOK, the former being in a above standard bar in Voss, close to our camping (we just wanted a bit of luxury because it was just after this crazy kayak trip wink ), the latter being a student bar in Bergen.

Expensive indeed, but the Hansa beer was actually really good. I liked it. What's the most common beer in Norway? Tuborg or Hansa? Or something else?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ringnes, a Norwegian brand, is probably the most common, but Norwegians drink Danish or German brands just as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    Great pictures Bregt. I really enjoyed watching them.
    It's like I can almost feel the breath of fresh air when I see the pictures!
    cheesy

What was the temperature like most of the days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    20 degrees average, we were lucky with the weather. Only one day of rain and storm! Be sure to check my report at the top of this thread. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gorgeous pics Bregt and stunning scenery, I REALLY must go back to Norway one day.

How did you like camping out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, isn't it a mindblowing scenery? I was so impressed with Bregt's photos.