• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorShawnS
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009
    Hello all! I'm also new to this forum, but I've been collecting movie scores for years (since 1996 as well, Lars!). Almost 900 albums and counting! My first two albums were The Rock and Independence Day. I don't really listen to popular music. I guess I'm somewhat close-minded as the only kind of music I really listen to is movie scores. My mother plays violin for the symphony, so I kind of grew up around classical orchestral music. My love for movies combined with that and the rest is history. Though I never get tired of the strange looks from people when they ask me what kind of music I listen to. Most people never even notice movie music or realize it exists. To me though, it's more than just background music.

As far as favorite composers, I like the whole range of them: John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, James Newton Howard and others such as Christopher Young, Joel McNeely, Trevor Jones, Mark McKenzie, Alexandre Desplat, John Powell, John Debney, Thomas Newman, Michael Giacchino, David Newman, etc.

I recently rented the film Camille and Mark Mancina's score is absolutely gorgeous. I kept watching the opening credits of the movie just to hear it. However, I can't seem to find any news or information anywhere about an official release. Here's hoping that it will be made available for direct purchase or download some day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited
    Welcome aboard Shawn! wave

Another member whose first album was The Rock. Cool!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Yours too? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorShawnS
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009
    Truthfully, my first movie scores were bought on audio cassette back when I was 13. They were Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Conan The Destroyer. Those seemed to last me for a few years.

It wasn't until I was 16, back when The Rock came out, that my interest was revived. Also, it was one of my first movie scores bought on CD back when I got my first portable CD player. I don't know why I chose that as one of my first scores. I guess I loved the whole media ventures/remote control power anthem style that was made famous by Hans Zimmer. Needless to say, many similar scores soon followed (Crimson Tide, Backdraft, Con Air, Armageddon, The Peacemaker, etc.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    Welcome also to Shawn! You'll be pleased to know that there is one member here (who goes under the name of franz_conrad) who is completely obsessed by the score for The Rock. Make sure to ask him about it when you come across him! He's Australian, but OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He likes Fosters beer and shrimps on barbies too. Though he hates stereotyping, as do I.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    What he said.

Rarely has such truth been speaketh.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    He likes Fosters beer and shrimps on barbies too. Though he hates stereotyping, as do I.

All people who make generalisations are idiots, really.

Franz listens to most of his film music while driving his ute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And all generalisations are wrong anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    What he said.

Rarely has such truth been speaketh.

Trutheth rarely do speaketh be.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Welcome, Shawn! beer
  2. ShawnS wrote
    Truthfully, my first movie scores were bought on audio cassette back when I was 13. They were Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Conan The Destroyer. Those seemed to last me for a few years.

It wasn't until I was 16, back when The Rock came out, that my interest was revived. Also, it was one of my first movie scores bought on CD back when I got my first portable CD player. I don't know why I chose that as one of my first scores. I guess I loved the whole media ventures/remote control power anthem style that was made famous by Hans Zimmer. Needless to say, many similar scores soon followed (Crimson Tide, Backdraft, Con Air, Armageddon, The Peacemaker, etc.).

Ha, The Rock, the ever popular entry score for Joe Everyman. I was bitten a little earlier by the bug than you but I know about the whole MV craze around that time, go ask my brother sometime. When it came out I vividly remember people buying the score, even if they were into totally different music. They just thought The Rock was bloody awesome. All those others you mentioned are great, but you forgot Broken Arrow, a personal favourite of mine. Zimmer wrote some excellent music back then.

Anyway welcome to another member, may you not disappear as some other recent newbies have done.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Lars wrote
    hello everybody,

my name is lars and i'm new on this message board. i love filmmusic since 1996, when i saw THE ROCK. composers i like are john powell, james newton howard, james horner, hans zimmer, brian tyler and klaus badelt. but my favourite composer is trevor rabin. i love his tuneful entertaining music. for me it's pure fun. i really like to discuss about filmmusic i hope we can share some thoughts about this topic.

Lars welcome,

don't sweat it, I'm a Rabin fan as well, so talk to me and all will be well wink
    cheers bud beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. ShawnS wrote

Shawn, you got grate taste, you'll definitely fit in here wink
    welcome as well smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Lars and Shawn, welcome aboard!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. New to the board, but been a film score enthusiast for about 6 years. I generally lurk in most forums, but I am active (and a moderator) at an online film score radio station. I frequently visit FSM, MovieMusicUK and Filmtracks for information regarding film scores, but have recently been visiting this site as well. Have a pretty big collection already, but Tombstone and Jurassic Park were really the first two film scores that caught my attention and I have been listening to film score ever since!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Hey! Welcome! I am glad you'll love it here, stick with us. We're a fine, warm and bit crazy gang wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Don't believe him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :shrug:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Be warned, :shrug: is one of his most cunning tactics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Welcome, nate! beer
  6. Nate welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    Yes, of course, as long as i am here, he will certainly enjoy his stay. biggrin

WELCOME TO HELL, NATE! ooops, Welcome to Maintitles, Nate. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    You assume it's hell in here, S?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    natedogg_23 wrote
    New to the board, but been a film score enthusiast for about 6 years. I generally lurk in most forums, but I am active (and a moderator) at an online film score radio station. I frequently visit FSM, MovieMusicUK and Filmtracks for information regarding film scores, but have recently been visiting this site as well. Have a pretty big collection already, but Tombstone and Jurassic Park were really the first two film scores that caught my attention and I have been listening to film score ever since!

Nice to see you here, Nate! I am Pridelander at SST. wave

I hope you'll find less vocal tracks here biggrin wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Miya wrote
    I hope you'll find less vocal tracks here biggrin wink

Though obviously when the occasion arise, we do burst out in song!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Bregt will probably kill me that it's taken me so long to join but here I am finally. Better late than never. Hello fellow film music fans. smile
    FilmScoreClickTrack.com - Tracking musical memories, one click at a time.
  7. Jim, hello

weren't you at the Mansell concert?
  8. Hi there Jim. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Welcome Jim cool beer