• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    I am sure men do not like...horns.

BAHAHAHA! It's interesting...though most brass sections are predominantly male-dominated, the horn section seems to be the most gender neutral. (My theory professor likes to make comments about those "incestuous" horn players who date other horn players)

And, Skating_Lientje, I will have to go check that out :D Glad to help out with evening the genders here!
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
  1. zond0 wrote
    And, Skating_Lientje, I will have to go check that out :D Glad to help out with evening the genders here!

You do that. :-) I'm the resident McCreary nut on this board, but he really did have some decent horn players prominently present in his Human Target score.
    He also blogged in detail over every episode of that series. (Here for instance you can read about the finale of season 1...)

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    I just checked out some of it, and I loved it! I'll definitely have to start putting money aside for scores. You enablers, you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012
    Hi Allison!
    Nice to see a new face around here.

What's the story behind the Zond0 monniker?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Haha a surprisingly musical story, actually.

In 7th grade, our band director handed out packets of musical terms we all should know. I, being the only horn player, sat next to the saxophone section, who tended to be a little strange. One of them was reading through the list and found the word "sforzando" and then pointed at me and yelled "Zondo!!!" I'm not entirely sure how it stuck (except that there were a ton of Allies and Allisons at my school, so I stopped responding when people yelled my name), but I hung out with the same group of friends (who also played video games), and it became my go-to username for anything online, thanks to a friend signing me up for Runescape with the username Zond0.
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Oh! And happy belated birthday! I felt awkward saying it to someone I didn't know. I hope it was lovely smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin And here I was thinking it was always trumpet players being a bit "special"! wink

I should have guessed (from your history) it was music-related rather than obscure Cimmerian war lords or failed Lankhmarian mage ("Zondo the Implausible met an untimely and rather embarassing demise when confusing the spells 'Veetus Major Arcana for the removal of unsightly bodily hairs' and the 'Blumenthal explosive rune for onion julienne'. ")....although your references to video games and Runescape don't entirely get you off the "geek" hook! wink

And thanks for the wishes, belated but no less appreciated! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Where is that Zondo the Implausible story from? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    "Hoard of the Drinks: the increasingly revisionist chronicles of Dildo the Dyslectic"
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Oh, I will gladly wear the "geek" label with pride! I know more Star Wars trivia than most people would deem appropriate, and I devour books with the voracity of a ravenous jungle predator! (Or, I did...before reading became a horribly large assignment deemed necessary by an endless number of general education courses at my university...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    zond0 wrote
    I know more Star Wars trivia than most people would deem appropriate

Ah-HAH! A challenge!
    Let me think up a particularly obscure one... devil

And not to worry: from experience I can tell you the love of reading and knowledge returns with a vengeance as soon as it stops being obligatory.
    ...of course the trick then becomes finding the time... slant
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Fortunately, when it comes to time, I have a lot of time that is rather obligatory. I have to take an hour to an hour and a half off between practice sessions, and therefore, I have to fill that time doing something. Usually I do homework, read a book, or work on my knitting. With the stress of my junior recital last year, I ended up spending every spare second spinning yarn and then knitting a shawl...which I wore for the reception of my recital. Good outlet for nervous energy :D
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I chose wisely in never doing a STAR WARS True/False.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    Hey Allison, my attention was just drawn once more to this (he's posted here on MT before).
    Ever heard/seen anything from the guy before?
    I think it's SO creative!
  3. Martijn wrote
    Hey Allison, my attention was just drawn once more to this (he's posted here on MT before).
    Ever heard/seen anything from the guy before?
    I think it's SO creative!

Hey Martijn,
    I had never seen that either. That is really something... Me like...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Didn't mean to exclude you, Elin! It was just the horn connection. smile
    Did you see he offers his stuff for download (for free!)?
    It's on a pretty permanent rotation on my iPod...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're already starting to be jealous? That's a good sign mate wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Um...
  4. I was not jealous, nor did I feel excluded.
    I was just showing the fact that I liked what I heard...
    And I'll check out his downloads, thanks Martijn.
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012
    I love this stuff. If you really like that kind of sound, check out the London Horn Sound...or if you want some amazing music with some fun behind-the-scenes videography, look up the Vienna Horns on youtube. I particularly recommend Jurassic Park and Titanic smile
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Oh, hey! Speaking of youtube....I don't speak with any guarantee that you'll think it's any good...but my junior recital is on there! Just do a search for Allison Kunze. You'll find me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Allison if I played the horn I guess I would be a sucker for Elliot Goldenthal's use of horn in general and Howard Shore's the cell. Which I already am and I am only playing the piano wink they do amazing things with that already impressive instrument.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I think James Horner majored in horn performance, didn't he? And the Wilder sonata performed by Allison on youtube is great!
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Haha thank you! I think he did major in composition, but perhaps he was a horn player. I have several horn playing friends who are rather good composers. I think it's because we're sort of forced to have good ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    markrayen wrote
    I think James Horner majored in horn performance, didn't he?

Indeed but nothing spells aggressive Horns better than Goldenthal, love that stuff!
  5. Horner was a horn player before. Some of my favourite moments of Horner's career are horn parts (there is a part in Tractor Factory from Enemy at the Gates which is perhaps my all-time favourite French horn part in film music) .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    markrayen wrote
    I think James Horner majored in horn performance, didn't he?

Indeed but nothing spells aggressive Horns better than Goldenthal, love that stuff!

Very true. But I also love the horn writing by Williams ( well duh ) and particularly John Barry's gorgeously expansive use of horns.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    John Powell had some excellent horn lines in How to Train Your Dragon as well. And I definitely agree about Williams. His music was some of the first to make me truly fall in love with how a good horn can sound. (You know, when you're in 7th grade and your tone is absolute dung lol)
    •  
      CommentAuthorregtheo
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012
    Hello community!
    I'm Ted and I'm really glad I found you!
    -T
  6. regtheo wrote
    Hello community!
    I'm Ted and I'm really glad I found you!

Welcome Ted. Thanks for the link to your site. Will take a look later.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn