• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I didn't get where I am today by not loving film music wink

Super!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorCJ
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Hi CJ! Musician? What do you play?

(Oh, and a belated hi to AD! Sorry! Never noticed your intro! shame )

Hi there, Martijn. Yes, musician. I play pretty much everything except a guitar. I keep telling myself I'll learn it one day. hehe
    • CommentAuthorCJ
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    Timmer wroteWelcome CJ ( I didn't get where I am today by not loving film music wink ), what composers are your favourites and what 'other' music do you enjoy?

Hi Timmer, favourite composers, Michael Kamen has to be my favourite, sad that he is no longer around to create more masterpieces. Many others such as James Horner, Hans Zimmer, and Inon Zur (game composer), though they can be hit and miss.

I'm currently obsessed with a lot of Rob Lane and Rohan Stevenson's scores for Merlin, which is my favourite TV show now.

Other music, everything from classical to industrial. I am a huge fan of industrial music. A very hard style to master.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    CJ wrote
    Yes, musician. I play pretty much everything except a guitar. I keep telling myself I'll learn it one day. hehe

Ah, evidently we are polar opposites.
    I only play the guitar and nothing else, and I've since given up any pretense I will ever learn to play any other instrument. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    CJ wrote
    Yes, musician. I play pretty much everything except a guitar. I keep telling myself I'll learn it one day. hehe

Ah, evidently we are polar opposites.
    I only play the guitar and nothing else, and I've since given up any pretense I will ever learn to play any other instrument. wink

Welcome to the new boys in town!
    Jee though! No women joining again... it seems I'll always be outnumbered!

Martijn I'd love to hear you playing the guitar! And I'd love to hear Demetris playing the piano! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure D. should run circles around me technically. I'm so out of practice. sad
    In fact, it's one of the things I'd dearly love to pick up again after January.

Lucky for me I don't have any way of filming myself for the web yet. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh no, i am not playing the piano in front of you babe, i am 5 years of practice behind you!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I have few vids on youtube where I play some song covers on my keyboard. Did it for a good friend of mine. They're public.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    Hello to Everyone ! While My nickname here is Roy, The real name is Rafal. I haven't yet write anything In My Profile but will do It at some point. More about Me...well... Listening to film music for about 12 years and it's what I've just realized half of My Life up To this point smile So what else to say... My english isn't perfect but I hope will be just enough to communicate rolleyes Merry Christmas to You All and Happy Hollidays smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Welcome aboard Rafal. Enjoy! wave smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Roy wrote
    Hello to Everyone ! While My nickname here is Roy, The real name is Rafal. I haven't yet write anything In My Profile but will do It at some point. More about Me...well... Listening to film music for about 12 years and it's what I've just realized half of My Life up To this point smile So what else to say... My english isn't perfect but I hope will be just enough to communicate rolleyes Merry Christmas to You All and Happy Hollidays smile

Welcome!

Where do you live then?
    And also, what are your favourite composers? wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I'm Live in Poland. And My Favourites? Well It's A Long List smile You Can All guess Who Opening this List from My nickname biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Welcome aboard Rafal!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Hello! beer
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  3. Roy wrote
    I'm Live in Poland. And My Favourites? Well It's A Long List smile You Can All guess Who Opening this List from My nickname biggrin

Horner??
  4. Well Roy didn't put a T before his nick, so I guess not. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009
    Welcome, Roy! smile beer
  5. Roy wrote

welcome Rafael, good English doesn't matter here, expressing yourself does

hope you have a pleasant stay here, and merry Christmas as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Points go To Pawel ! Horner Is the man punk than The rest of the squad smile
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    oh, and why T before confused T as for Titanic? biggrin
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Well Roy didn't put a T before his nick, so I guess not. cheesy

lol Roy is Horner's middle name.
  7. Hi everybody,

As a new member I've been posting already on one thread before finding this little safe haven where I could present myself to you guys (and girls of course).

About that, is this forum about 50/50 men and women or am I as a woman outnumbered here?

Anyhow, a little bit more about me.

I'm a 30 year old geologist who spends her days studying/working/validating data about the Belgian tidal river Scheldt while also trying to finish her PhD about sediment transport in the tributaries of the Scheldt (in other words I do nothing that has anything to do with music professionally).

As a youngster I got my hands on one soundtrack compilation Cd (containing themes such as Adagio for strings by Barber, theme from the Deer Hunter, etc) and listened to it non-stop. I also fell in love as a 10 year old with the music from 'Ladyhawke' by Andrew Powell (which was the first soundtrack I ever bought from the internet and had delivered from the US oversees - a thing that was not done at that time some 15 years ago).

It wasn't until I went to see 'The Rock' in the theater that I had my first experience of walking out of the theater and saying: "I have to get my hands on that music".

Through my love of the soundtracks I got in touch with my second addiction: figure skating (ice dancing in particular).
    Figure skating is an olympic sport (it's on as I'm writing this) that heavily uses soundtracks. Quite a lot of athletes pick soundtracks as their music to skate to, and so did my favorite couple now more than 10 years ago, as they picked "The Man in the Iron Mask" (by Nick Glennie Smith) my favourite at that time.
    It got me to start skating myself (hence my screen name) and I still love to do it, even though some injuries have caused me to stop skating for a bit. I'm picking it up again, though.

Finally, the last couple of years I've been completely taken in by Bear McCreary's work for Battlestar Galactica. As a complete BSG addict I have all the CD's, have the DVD boxes and got the BSG Board game for my birthday last year (a game some of you on this board already played with me last weekend).

I love BSG for many reasons, but one of the most important ones is that the music got me in touch with some very interesting people, not the least being Thomas Glorieux.

And so it is again that score music influences my life in very deep ways, not only on an emotional level when listening to it but on a much more hands-on way, as it shapes decisions I make, and people I meet so that it changes my life on a daily basis.

I am gratefull for all the richess music has bestowed upon me and it is without expectations, but with open vizer that I join this forum, filled with people also open to the power of the scores...

With love and respect,

Skating_lientje (aka Elin)
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    Ladyhawke eh? Thor is now your new best friend. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    About that, is this forum about 50/50 men and women or am I as a woman outnumbered here?

Technically, yes. But Stavroula seems to keep the men in order, so in reality it's us men who are outnumbered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking of the female gender I haven't seen Bregje here for some time now?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Well, well...

First Steven intentionally misinterprets Thor's words on the Morricone thread to insinuate that he wants sex with me and now you're implying he's my new best friend because of Ladyhawke?

Is there some sort of matchmaking going on on this forum that I'm not aware of confused biggrin ?

I'm soooo looking forward to meeting him in London now. This forum is fun spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    This forum is fun spin

Oh yes it is wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Well, well...

First Steven intentionally misinterprets Thor's words on the Morricone thread to insinuate that he wants sex with me and now you're implying he's my new best friend because of Ladyhawke?

Is there some sort of matchmaking going on on this forum that I'm not aware of confused biggrin ?

I'm soooo looking forward to meeting him in London now. This forum is fun spin

He, he...yeah, this is a weird place sometimes.

LADYHAWKE is periodically slaughtered in various film music fora as the "worst score ever" etc., which I totally disagree with. Which is why I've made it a mission in life to "defend" it against the naysayers. Check out this ol' defense thread I did at another board, for example:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1

I'm glad to hear you like it, though. Means you have excellent taste in music!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After finally seeing Ladyhawke a few months back I have to say I'm surprised by the venom thrown at the score, I thought it was pretty good though I wasn't so taken with some of the more pop elements, I'd certainly pick up the CD if I saw it.
  9. Thor,

Thank you for complementing me on my taste in music. kiss

I agree wholeheartedly with your post on FSM. Although I find the eigthies sound of Alan Parsons to be dating, I still like it, but probably wouldn't if I hadn't loved it back in the eighties-early nineties when I watched and rewatched this movie.

The romantic theme in the score I still consider one of my favourite pieces of score music to date. The way the guitar comes in to state the theme in 'Dual Transformations' gets me every single time.