• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    About that, is this forum about 50/50 men and women or am I as a woman outnumbered here?

Technically, yes. But Stavroula seems to keep the men in order, so in reality it's us men who are outnumbered.

shocked

OH. MY.STARS!!!!
    Steven paid me a compliment!!!! That's a first!!!!
    Thnak you dear! kiss

Welcome abroad Elin! We sure could use more women here!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    Thor wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Well, well...

First Steven intentionally misinterprets Thor's words on the Morricone thread to insinuate that he wants sex with me and now you're implying he's my new best friend because of Ladyhawke?

Is there some sort of matchmaking going on on this forum that I'm not aware of confused biggrin ?

I'm soooo looking forward to meeting him in London now. This forum is fun spin

He, he...yeah, this is a weird place sometimes.

LADYHAWKE is periodically slaughtered in various film music fora as the "worst score ever" etc., which I totally disagree with. Which is why I've made it a mission in life to "defend" it against the naysayers. Check out this ol' defense thread I did at another board, for example:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1

I'm glad to hear you like it, though. Means you have excellent taste in music!

Best pick-up effort ever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Best pick-up effort ever.

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Welcome Elin, it's nice to have more girls here! biggrin wave
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    A very BIG welcome from me too Elin ! wave
    I'm shure you'll enjoy it here with this wacky bunch of OST lovers ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Thank you Miya and Eric,

I'm starting to find my way around here, and it already feels like a very fun place.

Where else can a soundtrack-nut find refuge? cheesy

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    Nowhere but here. You can check other places out, but you'll always resort here in the end smile Except for lunatics. Those are chased away.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Exactly, and it's time for your meds D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aaahhwww sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey Lientje!

Nice to see a new face around here. smile

Interesting introduction: I remember a brief discussion on this board (or maybe it was its predecessor) some years ago on the use of film music in figure skating. My most vivid memory -a LONG time ago- was a Japanese skater coming out to a piece from First Blood by Goldsmith.

I thought it was exciting as hell, but the commentators utterly tore it down to the point where they thought points had actually been deducted for music choice! shocked .
    And while I haven't been watching much of the sport, I found that ever since the use of film music has become very sparingly indeed...

Anyway, enjoy your stay!
    Few geologists on the board, I reckon, but as we tend to go wildly off topic at the first possible instance, I'm sure we'll be discussing that topic -next to politics, religion, psychology, sociology, physics, coffee, lolcats and Looza Ace (don't ask...)- in no time!
    wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn,

I don't remember the Japanese skater in question, as Japanese tend to not put that much emotion in their performances (they are usually very technical) and I like the emotional programs the best. That's also why I like the skaters that use soundtracks.

This year, ice dancers have discovered Mansell's 'Requiem for a dream' (at least three couples are using part of it).
    But also Zimmer is often used (Pirates of the Caribean, King Arthur, The Rock, Gladiator, ... have all been used and often succesfully leading to a Worlds, European or even Olympic title).

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Im here off and on, getting tired of that other board again.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's good to know we're your second choice! beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    when I do a clean up on my computer it takes out some log ins so I have to log in again and Im lazy , I have to log in again to FSM , and I haven't felt like it , and I like to see if Im missed, hehe wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Anyway, enjoy your stay!
    Few geologists on the board, I reckon, but as we tend to go wildly off topic at the first possible instance, I'm sure we'll be discussing that topic -next to politics, religion, psychology, sociology, physics, coffee, lolcats and Looza Ace (don't ask...)- in no time!
    wave

You forgot cows you racist pig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moonie wrote
    when I do a clean up on my computer it takes out some log ins so I have to log in again and Im lazy , I have to log in again to FSM , and I haven't felt like it , and I like to see if Im missed, hehe wink

Hey, M. Drop them, and put mainttiles.net/forum as your home page in the browser. You know it's worth it wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Christodoulides wrote
    moonie wrote

Hey, M. Drop them, and put mainttiles.net/forum as your home page in the browser. You know it's worth it wink beer

wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Anyway, enjoy your stay!
    Few geologists on the board, I reckon, but as we tend to go wildly off topic at the first possible instance, I'm sure we'll be discussing...Looza Ace (don't ask...)

Seriously, don't ask.
    Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Through my love of the soundtracks I got in touch with my second addiction: figure skating (ice dancing in particular).
    Figure skating is an olympic sport (it's on as I'm writing this) that heavily uses soundtracks. Quite a lot of athletes pick soundtracks as their music to skate to, and so did my favorite couple now more than 10 years ago, as they picked "The Man in the Iron Mask" (by Nick Glennie Smith) my favourite at that time.
    It got me to start skating myself (hence my screen name) and I still love to do it, even though some injuries have caused me to stop skating for a bit. I'm picking it up again, though.

I'm not normally into figure skating, but I think this performance is awesome. A big part of it is due to being a fan of the "Ararat" score by Mychael Danna. The last minute of this performance just blows me away every time, due to the incredible music, and that dude's impressive moves. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    I'm a 30 year old geologist who spends her days studying/working/validating data about the Belgian tidal river Scheldt while also trying to finish her PhD about sediment transport in the tributaries of the Scheldt (in other words I do nothing that has anything to do with music professionally).

That is pretty awesome! I'm assuming that you use a lot of transport phenomena, soil mechanics and computational modeling. Way cool!

I also fell in love as a 10 year old with the music from 'Ladyhawke' by Andrew Powell (which was the first soundtrack I ever bought from the internet and had delivered from the US oversees - a thing that was not done at that time some 15 years ago).

It is hard not to read this without thinking of Thor and how he must be going weak at the knees after seeing this. wink

And on a totally unrelated note... do you like the music of Danny Elfman and John Williams?

Through my love of the soundtracks I got in touch with my second addiction: figure skating (ice dancing in particular).

Very cool! punk

Finally, the last couple of years I've been completely taken in by Bear McCreary's work for Battlestar Galactica

I've still not been sold on the Battlestar Galactica stuff. Perhaps it's due to my preference for more intimate scores than ones with action and energy. But there are fine themes from what I've heard on SST from time to time.

I wonder if we'll see a certain Norwegian expanding his Zimmer and McCreary collection. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Hi,

My name's Steven and I like film scores. Does anyone like John Williams here? I also like Jerry Goldsmith.

Occasionally I hope I will be able to post pictures of attractive females, I hope you don't mind.

wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hi I'm Tim wave My favourite gods are Ralph Vaughan Williams and John Barry and very fit girls.

Hi Steven, if you like JW so much maybe you should change your name to Ultimate-Williams-Fan?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol GOLD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. haha, super smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. I'm sort of new here, but I did have an account at scorereviews a few years ago, but I took a long hiatus because college got in the way. I actually forgot what my account name was then but I remember it had Scarlet in it.

In case no one remembers me, I'm the guy who obsessed over Thomas Newman, but since he apparently isn't doing much now, I've migrated over to James Horner. His Apollo 13 is just absolutely perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    Welcome, Kevin! wave

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ... obsessed over Thomas Newman, but since he apparently isn't doing much now, I've migrated over to James Horner.

But Horner isn't doing much either. Both TN and JH have done about the same number of scores for the last few years now.
  5. Yes, but Horner's repertoire is massive compared to Newman's. He has more stuff to tide me over while waiting for his next release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Welcome back, Kevin.

I must admit I don't remember anyone with that name. But anyone who obsesses over Newman and Horner is a-okay in my book.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Welcome, Kevin. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hee Kevin, I think I remember the name with scarlet in it... wave

Coincidentally I've been listening to Apollo 13 a lot lately! I even got out the DVD to watch the launch again, but I haven't done that yet.