• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    I hope there was not a similar topic but I can't be sure. It's about all those hidden gems in your soundtrack collection that hardly gets mentioned anywhere but that are among your all-time favourites and you would certainly recommend. I start it with the followings:

Jenseits der stille /Beyond Silence/ - Niki Reiser: very nice compositions and the film itself is about music so the music had better be good!

Wide Awake - Edmund Choi: it was M. Night Shyamalan's second movie before he became famous (and still his best in my opinion). And its score is one of the reasons why I fell sorry about the fact that JNH followed Choi as his composer of choice. The music of Wide Awake is full of wonder, fun and celestial choirs. A real gem.

Le Jaguar: One of Vladimir Cosma's best. The main theme is a bit like a John Barry piece

Il cuore nel pozzo: I could name at least ten other Morricone gems that are somehow overlooked, mostly his scores for Italian TV movies, but in the past years they are the best. (Cefalonia, Perlasca, Padre Pio, etc.) Why I chose Il cuore nel pozzo is because it's one of those rare scores where every single track is a delight - yes, even the tension material this time wink

Come See the Paradise: I know all the problems with Randy Edelman's orchestration and all but whenever I listen to the Love Theme from this soundtrack, I couldn't care less about how it is orchestrated because it is simply one of the most stirring love themes ever.

Grand Canyon and The Prince of Tides : I finish this off with James Newton Howard's two early scores, both of them are amoung my favourites ever but never in the spotlight. The first is a great example of a modern film score with a synthesizer choir, drums and guitar but the music is just great. The latter one is one of those rare scores that can make me cry - very emotional music with sweeping and silent tracks.

How about your hidden gems?
    • CommentAuthorDon
    Tangerine Dream - Firestarter. One of my very first CD soundtrack purchases. Simple synth tunes, yes, but highly athmospheric.

Stephen Oliver - The Lord Of The Rings. The music for the BBC radio play could have been easily a film score, in spite of a probably limited budget. Great epic scoring.

Wojciech Kilar - King Of The Last Days. The main title may be the best example of choral arrangement this side of Conan The Barbarian smile

Paul Hertzog - Bloodsport. Even more cheesy than Tangerine Dream but when I first had the LP back in the 90's I couldn't get it out of my head. Luckily Perseverance did a great job re-releasing it.

Joe Hisaishi - Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite. One of the best adventurous scores ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOE HISAISHI, TARO IWASHIRO lots and lots of great stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote
    Il cuore nel pozzo: I could name at least ten other Morricone gems that are somehow overlooked, mostly his scores for Italian TV movies, but in the past years they are the best. (Cefalonia, Perlasca, Padre Pio, etc.) Why I chose Il cuore nel pozzo is because it's one of those rare scores where every single track is a delight - yes, even the tension material this time wink

Great choice! I agree completely, it's just an extraordinary score. He had such a great year in 2005 with "Karol", "Cefalonia", "Sorstalanság" and "Il cuore nel pozzo" (which is my favorite out of those four gems).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A really obscure gem I adore is Illarramendi's rejected score for "La lengua de las mariposas". I can't fanthom how a masterpiece like this could be rejected, yet it happened. Luckily it was later released on an album called "Una historia reciente". I recommend it warmly to anyone who likes amazing music.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where can we find this?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to second the fine score that is GRAND CANYON, the very first JNH score I bought. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Joel McNeely's The Avengers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You certainly could not call Prince of Tides a hidden gem for anyone but yourself. It was nominated for an Oscar.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    A really obscure gem I adore is Illarramendi's rejected score for "La lengua de las mariposas". I can't fanthom how a masterpiece like this could be rejected, yet it happened. Luckily it was later released on an album called "Una historia reciente". I recommend it warmly to anyone who likes amazing music.

Peter wink

Yeah, that's a great one. I got it on a fan-made CD coupled with YOYES. He's excellent with minor modes, that Illaramendi.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Joel McNeely's The Avengers.

I really enjoy that one ( fantastic title theme ) but I'm not sure I'd call it a hidden gem, more that nobody saw the turkey of a film......which I have to admit is a "guilty" pleasure. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote

Peter wink

Cool! I was going to use a clip from it for the GTS game on kids but ditched it for something more popular. It used to be available on Amazon
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOE HISAISHI,

He's very popular in Japan... more well-known than Hans Zimmer and probably John Williams, especially among young people. It seems he's rather known among anime fans (and also among SST community wink ). But yes, he should be more recognized by foreign film score fans.

Some hidden gems I like:

Whisper Of The Heart (Mimi wo Sumaseba) - Yuji Nomi
    Very beautiful score from an animated film which is not well known outside Japan. Don't expect something as "big" as many of Hisaishi's Ghibli score, but Nomi's music fits this movie brilliantly.

Porco Rosso (Kurenai no Buta) - Joe Hisaishi
    One of my favorite Hisaishi. Compared to his other works for Ghibli films, this is not so known, especially outside Japan. It's like a combination of Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service, but more orchestral and energetic. In addition to mediterranean feel, it has everything you expect for Hisaishi's Ghibli music - catchy themes, adventurous sounds, a bit of synth, and piano! The first track Wind Of Time is really uplifting.

Bambi - Frank Churchill, Edward Plumb and others
    Everyone knows this film, but the score is rarely mentioned by film score fans. Very beautiful score. Music and pictures works perfectly!

Dark Blue Almost Black (Azul Oscuro Casi Negro) - Pascal Gaigne
    I happened to hear this score at SST, and loved it. I'm thinking about buying it from iTunes or directly from Movie Score Media...

Riding In Cars With Boys - Hans Zimmer & Heitor Pereira
    Not sure what other score fans think about it... but I like it for some reason. It's fun to listen. biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    You certainly could not call Prince of Tides a hidden gem for anyone but yourself. It was nominated for an Oscar.
    Thomas smile

Yes, I know, but hardly anyone mentions it when talking about JNH. And maybe even less people are familiar with it, who grew up with the Shyamalan-JNH pairing only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    The Man In The Moon is another gorgeous yet little-known gem from JNH - and from the same year as both Grand Canyon and The Prince Of Tides. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Howard's emotional writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Perhaps not really "hidden", but Goldsmith's Night Crossing is in my opinion one of the lesser known Goldsmith gems. For those who are not yet familiar with this score... get it, get it, get it. Its great! Great "flying theme"! I - ADORE - THIS - SCORE.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    DAVID WHITAKER, The Sword and The Sorceror

Fabulous fantasy score with a big rousing theme! Whitaker ( through choice? ) hasn't scored a lot of films compared to many which is a shame because the man has serious talent.

I'm still hopeful for a release of his score to Hammer's Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde and, even more so, his beautiful score to the John Mills, Mark Lester film Run Wild, Run Free, I have the LP release of this and I would hope a CD release would be more complete as it's missing so much of the best material from the climax of the film ; the subject of horses, like trains, always seems to draw out the best in composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    I rarely see much mention of the documentary work of Alan Williams...scores like Amazon are filled with epic themes and gorgeous ethnic music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I rarely see much mention of the documentary work of Alan Williams...scores like Amazon are filled with epic themes and gorgeous ethnic music.

I really like the few scores I've heard of his. He's been discussed at length before but I can't remember if it was on the old ScoreReviews forum or over at FSM?
  1. Nice gem, Benoit Jutras score for the art film of Cirque du Soleil, now up for review

Journey of Man
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. another one, and interestingly for another Cirque du Soleil show, check it out

- KA
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Night Crossing (Goldsmith)

Heavy Metal 2000 (score - Talgorn)
    Red Needles (Talgorn)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Talos wrote
    Red Needles (Talgorn)

punk
    Les Aiguilles Rouges has to be my fave Talgorn!
  3. Night Crossing is indeed one of Goldsmith's more hidden gems, the other Talgorn ones I haven't heard yet
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Barely noticed and totally excellent is KARAOKE / COLD LAZARUS by Christopher Gunning, I really can't imagine any fan of Jerry Golsmith not liking Cold Lazarus in particular which has a strong hint of JG's style from Total Recall, especially the track The Mutant.

And has anyone here heard or even have Martin Kiszko's ALIEN EMPIRE? This is music for a sci-fi epic but is actually the music for a BBC series about insects, played by the Munich Symphony and conducted by Harry Rabinowitz, this is fantastic music cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Barely noticed and totally excellent is KARAOKE / COLD LAZARUS by Christopher Gunning, I really can't imagine any fan of Jerry Golsmith not liking Cold Lazarus in particular which has a strong hint of JG's style from Total Recall, especially the track The Mutant.

I'll sign that one. Great album.

And has anyone here heard or even have Martin Kiszko's ALIEN EMPIRE? This is music for a sci-fi epic but is actually the music for a BBC series about insects, played by the Munich Symphony and conducted by Harry Rabinowitz, this is fantastic music cool

You've been touting this one for at least 10 years. I should really check it out some day, as I should all those BBC nature series. They have some great music by Fenton and others.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor, I'd really recommend ( and Martijn will back me big time on this ) Benjamin Bartlett's WALKING WITH DINOSAURS or, ( even arguably better ) WALKING WITH BEASTS where the album is padded out with a fine selection from 'Dinosaurs', superlative scoring and easily in my top 50 all time albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Back up! Big time! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Talos wrote
    Night Crossing (Goldsmith)

Where did you get this? I need a copy bad!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Back up! Big time! punk

cool beer