• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    I am working on this new release from Hotrecords of the older Label X release. It offers some additional material from the composer.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just bought the original looooooooong out of print release a couple of months ago (for a fair bit of money too slant ), as it was number one on my Holy Grail list...and now they rerelease it!
    crazy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You have the advantage of getting Voyage of the Damned.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's true. smile ...but I care little for that score. slant

Oh well. That's how it goes.
    I ordered the extended version anyway. It's a score I love just too much to let slip by.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the problem that I have with the score is the mixing of material from two different sources. The 7.5 IPS tape that came from Lalo has a somewhat flattened out sound. The higher end frequency response is just not there. The way around it is to program the cd player to listen to the additional tracks as bonus material, after the original tracks.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    Right!
    OK!
    Good advice.

Thanks, Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/09/12/t … -schifrin/

A nice addition to your collection.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does anyone else have this new release?
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Right!
    OK!
    Good advice.

Thanks, Tom!

Do you have the Legrand score too Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For The Three Musketeers? Yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to Schifrin's work in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    For The Three Musketeers? Yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to Schifrin's work in my opinion.

Fair nuff! I think it's a better score, but Schifrin's is damn good too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008
    His orchestrating is the best.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    His orchestrating is the best.
    Thomas smile

Whose?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Earth to Timmer!!! The thread is about the Four Musketeers, the composer Lalo Schifrin.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Earth to Timmer!!! The thread is about the Four Musketeers, the composer Lalo Schifrin.
    Thomas smile

Yes Tom, but in the above sentence both Schifrin and Legrand are mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it may have a lot to do with the sound quality.
    I always thought the Legrand score was mixed very poorly, especially on the album (I only ever heard the LP smile ). Schifrin's score really has an instrumentation that seems crystal clear.

But maybe that's just my preference speaking.
    I really haven't listened to Legrand's score for ages.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think it may have a lot to do with the sound quality.
    I always thought the Legrand score was mixed very poorly, especially on the album (I only ever heard the LP smile ). Schifrin's score really has an instrumentation that seems crystal clear.

But maybe that's just my preference speaking.
    I really haven't listened to Legrand's score for ages.

I'm afraid mine is the LP also, though there are 4 great tracks on the 4 disc Le Cinema de Michel Legrand, one of the best purchases I ever made.

I still play LP's occassionally but it does mean having to set the turntable up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I stated the new release has mixed master 15IPS material with demo 7.5IPS. Not good in my opinion.
    Thomas smile