• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    There is news about that the orginal writer of Lethal Weapon (Shane Black) has written a script for Lethal Weapon 5.

What are your thoughts on this?
    What are your thoughts on the previous films?
    Should David Sanborn and Eric Clapton write the score, or at least do most of the work?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
  1. Black wrote it? Cool!

I hope no MV will get their hands on the score, really, except Powell maybe. I don't want Tyler, sorry Demetris.

I loved the films and I guess that Donner, Gibson and Glover may retain the same chemistry. I mean hey were having fun on every movie and you can see that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Weren't they already too old for this shit 10 years ago??? confused

Love the whole series but this could be like Crystal Skull all over again, as in totally unnecessary and totally devoid of excitement. But Donner is a great director and could give this the edge it needs.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But they're sooooo old!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Number 4 was pretty awful too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Actually, when's the last time Donner made a good film?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    But they're sooooo old!?

haha, indeed
    I believe it is for the best that they are not doing the film.
    Especially since Donner wouldn't be a part of it.
    If they did make it, I would hope they'd include Sanborn and Clapton at least.

Donner does need another hit though. If Black were writing, he would have a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love Lethal Weapon 4, I thought that was a highly entertaining movie. I like em all, but do we really need a fifth one? Maybe if they were younger... but they're a little too long in the tooth by now.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    I love Lethal Weapon 4, I thought that was a highly entertaining movie. I like em all, but do we really need a fifth one? Maybe if they were younger... but they're a little too long in the tooth by now.

I love the film too.
    The action sequences are amazing, and the interaction of all the characters kept the same zeal.
    Yes, it was very comedic, but that didn't bother me. It's no Lethal Weapon One, but still a very enjoyable film.
  3. Southall wrote

I really liked Maverick
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    I think this *could* work, if and only if they use Black's script. The guy practically invented the modern action film, and his last one, which he also directed, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was hugely entertaining.

However, my understanding of the situation is that Donner, Glover and Gibson had started talking about a fifth film without knowing that Black was doing a spec script. Apparently it's the studio people who are hot on Black's ideas, and the last thing I heard, Donner felt out of the loop and didn't seem optimistic about the chances of it going to happen. Something along the lines of "I don't think Danny and Mel will want to do it unless *we* are in control" (not his words exactly, but that was the gist of it).

Anyway, I don't think we need a fifth film, but I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Shane Black's work, and if it happens with his script as the basis for the film, I think it could well be very good. Probably better than both 3 and 4, although I actually like both of them.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  4. omaha wrote
    Steven wrote

I love the film too.
    The action sequences are amazing, and the interaction of all the characters kept the same zeal.
    Yes, it was very comedic, but that didn't bother me. It's no Lethal Weapon One, but still a very enjoyable film.

Same here, and I was already in my twenties when the film came out, but that didn't stop me to have an amazingly good time, because I've always loved the chemistry between all these very different characters. What strikes me most about LW4 is that the friendship just pours from the screen: this movie was made by the closest of friends and you can see they were having a hell of time making it. They just went all out with the humor and excitement. I've always love the end titles with the pictures taken on the set, and that highly addictive tune playing alongside it (Why Can't We Be Friends) cool

It Number 5 can bring back a little bit of that magic, I'm all for it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Richard Donner's one of my top favourite directors. The Goonies, Ladyhawke, Scrooged, Lethal Weapon 1~4, Superman, the magic just kept coming.

I haven't seen Timeline but I heard it was his one sucky endeavour. Maybe I'll stay away from it just for that reason...

(but the real reason is that my local video store doesn't have it)
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  5. Ladyhawke I recently had the pleasure of watching for the first time: very 80s standard fantasy fare, but I would take that over most fantasy-filled flicks of this decade, LOTR not included of course.

Donner has always been one of those names I always wanted to know what the film was about whenever he directed something, seeing I love so much of what he's made. But will he ever direct another Superman? I'd love to see him do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ladyhawke I recently had the pleasure of watching for the first time: very 80s standard fantasy fare, but I would take that over most fantasy-filled flicks of this decade, LOTR not included of course.

Donner has always been one of those names I always wanted to know what the film was about whenever he directed something, seeing I love so much of what he's made. But will he ever direct another Superman? I'd love to see him do it.

I think Ladyhawke shines because it is so wonderfully 80s! There's a movie that fully embraced its contemporary times. Donner must've known that this would be dated a mere 5 years later! But it's fascinating if you have a love of the 80s, like me. And that music.. wow! XD

I don't think I would be interested in another Superman by Donner, personally. I'd like to see him do something else original. Or, you know what kind of sequel would be VERY original? "The Goonies: 25 Years Later."
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    omaha wrote
    Steven wrote

I love the film too.

Same here, and I was already in my twenties when the film came out, but that didn't stop me to have an amazingly good time, because I've always loved the chemistry between all these very different characters. What strikes me most about LW4 is that the friendship just pours from the screen: this movie was made by the closest of friends and you can see they were having a hell of time making it. They just went all out with the humor and excitement. I've always love the end titles with the pictures taken on the set, and that highly addictive tune playing alongside it (Why Can't We Be Friends) cool

It Number 5 can bring back a little bit of that magic, I'm all for it...

You hit the friends thing right on the end. And the ending with Leo is great.

Did you notice the change of instrumentation of Leo's theme during his opening up scene about froggy? Beautiful. Just shows how much of a genius Kamen is.

Also, the use of Riggs' theme when he is trapped under water and they come up together after Roger saves him. *sigh*, I love it.

I welcome anything by Donner. Awesome director...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    Southall wrote

I really liked Maverick

Yes, that's probably it. Must be nearly 15 years ago!
  6. I actually liked Conspiracy Theory, Lethal Weapon 4 and 16 Blocks.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually liked Conspiracy Theory, Lethal Weapon 4 and 16 Blocks.

I enjoyed all three as well.
    I loved Gibson in Conspiracy Theory. Very interesting character for him.
    Carter's score fit nicely too. wink
  7. HeeroJF wrote
    I don't think I would be interested in another Superman by Donner, personally. I'd like to see him do something else original. Or, you know what kind of sequel would be VERY original? "The Goonies: 25 Years Later."

No I meant to say, to see him do something of the same quality, Superman has achieved legendary status, I agree something original but with that high quality is what he really needs before he ever retires.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    ^ Ah, I see. If I were him I'd aim for re-achieving the quality of The Goonies rather than Superman. That's just me but Superman is a film I greatly respect but never really made it as one of my tops. Still I think we agree he should get another rekindling of his former glory, whichever one happens to be your favourite.

Oh, and yeah, I did forget to mention Maverick. Another one I admire a lot.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Ladyhawke I recently had the pleasure of watching for the first time: very 80s standard fantasy fare, but I would take that over most fantasy-filled flicks of this decade, LOTR not included of course.

Ah good boy, you saw Ladyhawke wink

It is a bit long in my book (especially if you think about seeing it multiple times) but it at least has a charm most movies can't seem to create anymore. It is perhaps that '80 quality that does it. Same for the music at times, so '80, at times so fun and likeable smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh